PDA

View Full Version : TW Fan Since 1st Shogun, But This Game is a Wreck.

SDusseault
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Let me say that I'm placing this thread here because I'm not seeking tech support on this- I've already searched and found a LOT of other people with the same issue and no resolution despite kind-hearted forum goers trying their best to help while the devs don't seem to have any answer at all in most cases.

Ok, on to the good stuff.

First, my PC beats the heck out of the recommended requirements, so my issues are not related to outdated equipment.

Secondly, I've updated all drivers. I even reformatted my PC and reupdated all drivers again.

Third, as the title of the thread implies, I'm a massive fan of the TW series. I've played them all- Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval II, Empire, Nepoleon, and now Shogun II. Up till now these games have had their small bugs, but they were always tolerable. At this point I payed full price for a game that is unplayable.

In single-player, very often the game will fully lockup during my turn. Sometimes after I hit "end turn as well. Almost 75% of the battles I fight on the battle map lock up. And now, to take the cake, after I try and just deal with all the rest, I get to approximately turn 70 or so and I lock up once again... So I reboot the PC, start the game and find out my save game is gone and replaced with a save from turn 17. Just in case the turn number was screwed up I loaded it anyway... Nope, it was from turn 17. I didn't even HAVE a seperate save from turn 17. On top of the lock-ups, the game suffers CTDs like it's designed to crash.

Look, I've been gaming since I was 15 and I'm 35 now. I seriously have only ranted in this fashion twice in my life, including this time, so I'm not usually a moaner, but this is bad. And for such a prestigious and well loved series, this is inexcusable.

It should also be noted that the demo did not lock up once. Why does the actual game? I'm not really looking for an answer on that last question. Again, there is no excuse for this from a company that should have had all the game-stopping bugs worked out before this hit stores.

I'm also more than a little frustrated because, as I'm sure more than a few of us will understand, I don't have a lot of cash to blow, so when I buy a game hoping for a couple months of entertainment for my money... Well, you guys understand.

For those of you out there that have no issues with the game, I congratulate you and wish you continued good luck with it! Enjot it on behalf of those who can't.

Sincerely, Shawn D.

nelar
03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Couldn't even start my game up without it crashing. Had to upgrade to windows 7 to fix it :/

Isildur
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I have locked up and Crashed to desktop about a dozen times so far and I've had the game for all of 48 hours, if even that.

It happens a lot at the post-battle loading screen & when I apply new video settings in the options menu, the game was crash to desktop at the loading screen.

It's also happened on the campaign map.

Digibull
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear you've been having so many issues, mate. Have you raised these up in the support forums? I'm sorry to report that I haven't had any instability issues with the game.

MdotMania
03-29-2011, 03:16 PM
The onlty crashing I have experienced is since the 1st patch. Maybe once everytime I play it just goes to windows for no reason while I'm in the middle of a battle. Hopefully they will patch it and it will work fine as when it does it is one very good game

Sanjuro
03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Haven't had any stability problems with this game. Maybe it helps to have Windows 7, but it does largely boil down to luck and random elements like what software and hardware you have. There's not a lot CA can do about it, especially when they have no control over things like graphics card drivers.

Wintermist
03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
All I can say is I hope you can get it fixed. I've had no problems myself.

Sir Maru
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Did you upgrade your video driver to the latest and greatest?

Spycrab
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Haven't suffered any problem you have described. You should really raise these question at the support forum.

WarKirby
03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
I would suggest googling how to increase your virtual memory. That could be an issue.

I've had many CTDs so far, but almost all of them happened while shogun was minimised via alt-tabbing, and several times my pc complained about low virtual memory around the same time. I used microsoft's "fix it for me" on the appropriate page for WXP, and the rate of crashing has dropped a lot since.

Monkeylizard99
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I haven't had any stability issues, game works great for me. I'm Running Windows 7 64-bit.

Siven80
03-29-2011, 03:56 PM
What are your system specs?

I've not had any problems here at all and it runs very smooth for me on very high settings. Win7 64bit, Intel i5 760,4Gb ram, Geforce GTX 460 1Gb ram, SATA2 7200rpm 1TB HDD.

Shireknight
03-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Please report any problem you experience on the support forums also bear in mind that the game runs fine for the vast majority of users which is hardly the description of a "wreck" as you put it.

If a game does not work on your system but works on others than you should first view your own system with su****ion or at least be open to the possibility that just maybe the problem is at your end somewhere be it because of a driver issue or a component that is causing an upset between your PC and the game.

Closed.

on a mountain
03-29-2011, 04:38 PM
What you describe is what happened with my old comp everytime I tried to play NTW. It was horrible.
Bought a new comp, I can run all games smoothly.

But I know how you feel. Last summer I felt like crying every time I went close to a TW game.