PDA

View Full Version : Awesome game

Insane_Mikey
07-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Having played the Total war series from Shogan this 1 passed me by as at time of release my Lap top could not handle it so only played it very infrequantly when visiting mt Dad, having only recently bought a new Machine (back in April) I moved strait onto Napoleon and Empire...

Recently installed Med2 and I'm having a ball, playing as England took up the 1st crusade to Jerulsalem and started to carve out a nice crusader kingdom for myself, then the Mongols turn up...

Lost Antioch after 2 fierce battles (I can't remember the last time I lost a settlement in any total war game) then they bybass the heavily defended (by Elite troops as well) city of Damascus and the Fortress of Acre and go strait for Jerulsalem, after many Epic battles a lone General unit of 10 men, a militia spearmen of 23 men, 2 peasant archers numbering less than a hundred betwen them, 11 armoured swordsmen and 12 heavy bill militia are all that remian to claim the city as mine, the Mongol Khan with less than 20 men remaining in his stack is being hunted down but I'm satisifed as victory is mine, until of course wave 2 turns up!

Deep joy :D

Anyway just thought I'd share as this I'm enjoying myself so much!

King Rufus
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Yes, I started my Total Wars with Medieval II and it's still my favorite game. I can return to it in any moment and still get immersed.

If you started with England then you should have met King Rufus, William the Conqueror's heir :p.

Eazyrider
07-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Medieval 2 has planted many sentimental feelings within me, and I do get quite nostalgic each time I return to play it.

IBlewaFuse
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Although Medieval 2 had it's share of problems, I thought it was the best game of the Total War series in the sense that it improved on Rome without removing some of the excellent immersing features.

Knight Templar
07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Almost 4 years after it was released, Medieval II is still an awesome game. The game really shines when you are playing the game with mods such as Broken Crescent and Stainless Steel. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Dominion of the Sword supermod when its finally released.

Even now an unmodified Medieval II is better than an unmodified Empire.

King Rufus
07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I have not tried any mod with Medieval 2... Which ones do you sugest?? Though I guess I'll have to take a look at TWC to make up my mind :p.

vaptin
07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I would suggest the stainless steel mod, improves the A.I, expands the map and brings back the ability to award titles to generals. Although I think the realism mode is a bit of a pain.

cogre
07-14-2010, 06:53 PM
lands to conqure with the retrofit mod works wonderfully well

Go Eazy
07-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I can't believe it has been four years since the release of M2, I played so much MP that I have yet to complete a single SP campaign. I actually just started a Scotland campaign a few weeks ago, seeing as four years have gone by I am bound and determined to finish it.........this year!!

Eazyrider
07-15-2010, 05:45 AM
I can't believe it has been four years since the release of M2, I played so much MP that I have yet to complete a single SP campaign. I actually just started a Scotland campaign a few weeks ago, seeing as four years have gone by I am bound and determined to finish it.........this year!!

I agree with this. As soon as I got Medieval 2, and finally got my multiplayer to work, I was stuck on it; having not played TW on multiplayer before it was very interesting. The quick grassy Plains 1v1 battles became very addicting, and I found myself never really having the time for campaign and when I did, I barely spent anytime on it.

Sadly now I find the Med 2 mp community has become somewhat desolate, and whenever I go on there are barely any games; if any.

s.n.ph
07-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I started my Total Wars with Rome total war I have all total war games like med2 and kingdoms ,empire, napleon total war

by the way iam from iraq its very hard to find total war games in Iraq

Celt1114
07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Medieval 2 is a great game. It's been installed on my computer since its release, along with Kingdoms, which by the way, if you don't have Kingdoms you really should buy it. You won't regregt it.

I also have my Medieval 2 games set up so that each turn represents 6 months. There's over 800 or 900 turns in each game. it gives all nations time to build their armies well into the gunpowder age.

Celt1114
07-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I started my Total Wars with Rome total war I have all total war games like med2 and kingdoms ,empire, napleon total war

by the way iam from iraq its very hard to find total war games in Iraq

That's great. For some reason it's difficult for me to imagine someone in Iraq playing TW games, don't know why..
but I think it's cool.

s.n.ph
07-15-2010, 12:47 PM
hhh why ^_^ we are a civilized nation ..total war games are well-known in my city mosul

King Rufus
07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I agree with this. As soon as I got Medieval 2, and finally got my multiplayer to work, I was stuck on it; having not played TW on multiplayer before it was very interesting. The quick grassy Plains 1v1 battles became very addicting, and I found myself never really having the time for campaign and when I did, I barely spent anytime on it.

Sadly now I find the Med 2 mp community has become somewhat desolate, and whenever I go on there are barely any games; if any.

I was never able to play multiplayer do to problems with Gamespy =S. Was so happy when I could play multiplayer with Empire, and I enjoyed myself a lot. When I got tired of the single player I went to multiplayer.

Eazyrider
07-15-2010, 02:00 PM
What sort of problems with gamespy?

With me its the opposite: When I get tired of multiplayer I go to single player.

Celt1114
07-15-2010, 08:25 PM
hhh why ^_^ we are a civilized nation ..total war games are well-known in my city mosul

Yea I know you're a civilized nation but the things we see on tv here in the USA make it seem like everyone is living in poverty and war.
I'm happy to know the news isn't correct. :)

Celt1114
07-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I was never able to play multiplayer do to problems with Gamespy =S. Was so happy when I could play multiplayer with Empire, and I enjoyed myself a lot. When I got tired of the single player I went to multiplayer.

I never get tired of singleplayer. I've got almost every faction playable and so many to choose from.
I like playing as Hungary and pretending I'm Vlad the Impailer.
Ya know what? I've never played a multiplayer game of any TW ever. Just figured since I got such a late start I wouldn't stand a chance. :)

dge1
07-16-2010, 01:22 AM
I play with the Retro Mod laying over Kingdoms. A great game. Passed many hours, with (almost) all the factions.

Kit
07-16-2010, 09:28 AM
By far one of my favourites of the series, only yesterday I started a game as Hungary having not really played this faction before, its almost a new experience and a refreshing change after playing Empire and Napoleon

King Rufus
07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah I also had started a Hungary campaign not long ago.

Kit
07-16-2010, 10:17 AM
I cant remember having played with them before but i was having so much fun yesterday i dont know why i didnt play them earlier, Ive always preferred nations in the middle of the action

IBlewaFuse
07-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Hungary is one of my favourite factions. It's best played on Hard or Very Hard because it gives you the great possibility of being caught up with passing armies of crusaders and your not allowed to touch them unless you want to get excommunicated. This gives them the chance to walk to your capital and begin a siege.

Besides all this, Hungary has one of the more interesting unit rosters in the game and are a blast to play.

Go Eazy
07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Hehe, I started playing as the Scots to finally complete my first campaign (sad I know) and every time I sit down at the PC two or three hours seem to disappear. I haven't had this much fun since I experienced "just one more turn" with MTW : D

Dark Side
07-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I have started a Knight's Templar campaign today using the Stainless Steel mod for Med2 in the early Era. I am getting my a$$ kicked by the Fatimid and Khwarizmi Empires. I love this game.

Insane_Mikey
07-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Wow glad to see I'm not the only 1 loving this game!

Well I've seen off the Mongol threat, ridden out the black death and am now waiting for the Timurids.....they have appeared in Turkish lands so hoping they won't come south

GSC
07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow glad to see I'm not the only 1 loving this game!

Well I've seen off the Mongol threat, ridden out the black death and am now waiting for the Timurids.....they have appeared in Turkish lands so hoping they won't come south
Wut you playing with?
This thread has made me taste for some MTW2 campaign! I think for The Holy Roman Empire!

Go Eazy
07-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Yeah Mikey seeing as how you have seen off the Mongol threat who are you playing with. I'm Playing Scots and hoping to (finally) beat SP. Looking to play something other then Venice in the Mediterranean next go around.

Insane_Mikey
07-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Well I'm the English......had to be in my 1st proper campaign, loving the longsbows and dismounted English Knights

Yahav The Angry Jester
07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
i want to start a new GC, but i dont know with who XD

Duke Dude
07-18-2010, 11:42 AM
^ Go with the Turks, and see if you can attain the victory condition as well as hold off the monglos by not letting them get a city. No that is hard.
I only managed to do that once, never again.

IBlewaFuse
07-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I think the Mongols, Timurids and Aztecs are the reason the late game is so fun. It gives the player a huge challenge when usually (and in all other titles) are too strong to be beaten. I've never lost the game because of the Mongols or Timurids, but they've definitely set me back.

TheKiaser
07-19-2010, 06:02 PM
My first total war game was RTW but I was even more excited when I got MTW2 and it has been my favorite game sence.

Hidden Gunman
07-20-2010, 05:13 AM
I've always enjoyed M2. I have a real soft spot for the English with masses of longbows...like stacks with 12 of them.

Little Enos
07-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Wow, after reading this thread it has got me hankering after a game of M2, I haven't played it in years and never did finish a campaign on it. I think I'd appreciate the game more now then I did back in 06/07 and I could easily max it out now, something I couldn't do a few years ago, food for thought.
As has been posted it would make a nice change of era from NTW (which I am loving at present).

I think I might have to dig out my copy again and launch a campaign ;->!!

Insane_Mikey
07-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd recomend it!

Little Enos
07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
I'd recomend it!

Well i did try, I re-installed it tonight and patched it to 1.2 (which took an age!!) and played a few historical battles to get a feel for the game again but I really just couldn't get into it. I found it too strange going back to melee style combat where everything just descends in to a big pile up.

I can see why people like M2 so much but for me, I guess I just prefer the Napoleonic era and have been spoilt by the technical improvements in that game.

This is what concerns me about Shogun 2 going back to melee style combat, as opposed to gunpowder.

DirecteX
07-22-2010, 06:55 AM
M2 is the best for me :).I've played all factions on SP and MP but still I love spending time on it!
Greatings from Syria (I am on a vacation!:D).

Duke Dude
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Well i did try, I re-installed it tonight and patched it to 1.2 (which took an age!!) and played a few historical battles to get a feel for the game again but I really just couldn't get into it. I found it too strange going back to melee style combat where everything just descends in to a big pile up.

I can see why people like M2 so much but for me, I guess I just prefer the Napoleonic era and have been spoilt by the technical improvements in that game.

This is what concerns me about Shogun 2 going back to melee style combat, as opposed to gunpowder.

I prefer swords to guns any time!
I find you have to be a bit more strategic in your battles than with guns.

Insane_Mikey
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeh I like Empire and Napoleon alot but I fond the battles almost always end up with 2 lines just blasting at each other, I much prefere the Med and Rome battles, oh and the Shogan battles too!

Dark Side
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I think the Mongols, Timurids and Aztecs are the reason the late game is so fun.

Use the Stainless Steel mod. Even if you don't engage with those 3 factions you will still have a hard time till the end of the game. In SS you will have huge kingdoms forming that will give you a challenge till the last turn. Beats Vanilla hands down.

DirecteX
07-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Ye SS mod is a real challenge! Especialy of you play the teutonic order!Playing as them is really a pain and if you feel lucky or insane trun VH/vh and enjoy the show ! Still SS is a great mod , maybe even the best.

King Rufus
07-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I've just downloaded Stainless Steel and will try it now. First mod I ever used for Medieval 2. I've only heard good things from it so let's see how it goes :).

Duke Dude
07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Will you tell me how it is? I might then even give it a go myself.

King Rufus
07-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm having problems with the game. I've downloaded the latest version and installed it but when I instert the Kingdoms CD and click on play Medieval II Total War (which I guess is the one for Stainless Steel) the game asks me to insert the correct CD.

Can anyone help me on how to start the SS game??

EDIT: I have a Spanish version of the game, though I hope that won't affect the mod :(.

RE-EDIT: I had only downloaded one archive and didn't notice they were 3... So I think that will fix it :p.

IBlewaFuse
07-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Use the Stainless Steel mod. Even if you don't engage with those 3 factions you will still have a hard time till the end of the game. In SS you will have huge kingdoms forming that will give you a challenge till the last turn. Beats Vanilla hands down.

I tried one of the earlier versions back in the day, as has been said earlier, I've heard nothing but good stuff about SS. I will download immediately :)

dge1
08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Will the Stainless Steel mod work with the Retro Mod installed? I've used the Retro running over Kingdoms for a long time and would hate to lose it. SS Mod looks interesting though and I think I'd like to try it.

Cliff
08-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Hi. Just skipped back to this forum after spending a lot of time on ETW and NTW. Haven't played M2TW for a long time, but these posts bring back fond memories. I remember playing the Crusades campaign (guess I'm thinking of the Crusades in the Kingdoms expansion?) several times -- once as each faction in fact. I never did have a problem with the Mongols, because as soon as they appeared I moved about six full stacks and stalked them 'til they finally decided to leave. I even managed to bump off a few of their family members with my best-trained assassins.:D

-- Cliff in Virginia

awesomeo1982
08-09-2010, 10:24 AM
anyone try the Broken Crescent Mod its prety good IMO

Caverian Colonial Empire
08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I just purchased it must say this game is awsome i'll just love there are more players in multiplayer to play with

Celt1114
08-11-2010, 07:20 AM
I've played this game thousands of times and for some reason never get tired of it.
I'm always in the mood to sit down and get into an awesome campaign. Sometimes I even have 3-4 campaigns going on and when I'm not doing that I make custom battles using every conceivable combinations of troops.

I wish there was a way I could make custom maps for it like I used to do with MTW (1) that would be the best.