PDA

View Full Version : My Mysterious Solution to Sound Issues

davethejackal
01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Tried all of the usual options and none of them work, I get the same old cracks, pops and disappearing sound as always BUT I can get perfect sound under the following circumstances:

1. If I run in a window.

2. I have 2 accounts on my PC. If I log on to one and then shift-right click steam, select "Run as different user" and open it using the login detail of the other account, it works fine.

Just thought I'd share as these are the only 2 remedies I have found that work, even if they make no sense at all! ATI 5770, Phenom II 720BE, XFi Gamer, Win 7 64 Home Premium, 6Gb RAM. They all suggest that the sound drivers are NOT the problem and that something else is causing problems.

Can someone else let me know if the above work for them?

Billy Ruffian
01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Regarding your option two does it work both ways round? So, if you start as User A and get noises you switch to User B and they stop, but if you start as User B and get noises they stop if you switch to User A.

davethejackal
01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
If I log in with account A and run as account B - no problems. If I log in with account B and just run it .. cracks, pops and silences.

Ah, I had never checked before but I still get problems if I log in with B and play as A :( There goes that theory!

Billy Ruffian
01-03-2012, 07:56 PM
So it's a one-way street? You only get the problem if you log directly into account B, but can avoid it by starting in account A and then switching to B?
Most odd.

davethejackal
01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Billy I am not logging in as B but using the "run as different user ... " option you get if you shift-right click on a program.

Billy Ruffian
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
You were the one who started using "log" I just copied it. Sorry, I must have posted just as you were editting, so I missed the last bit. So now we're saying if you start as A there are no noises, whether you then switch to B or not, but if you start as B there are, even if you then switch to A. Must be something in the initial loading that is different.

davethejackal
01-03-2012, 08:11 PM
But either way i am only actually logged in as one user, I do not "switch users" to run the program, just use the "run as different user" option.

Billy Ruffian
01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
All I was trying to get at was that it depends which one you start with as to whether you get problems or not.

Iscaran
01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Its a problem with the account rights then maybe ?

If account A has crackling and account B does not...perhaps B is an "admin" account or something like that ?

davethejackal
01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Nope both are non-admin user acccounts. I only get perfect audio logged in to account A playing as B in FS.

Iscaran
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Ever tried running with a admin type account....its still the only thing I could think of why B is getting better "sound" when run via account A.

davethejackal
07-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I discovered it was some background app in the end ... not sure why it affected it quite in this way but there was not a problem when I uninstalled.a

Iscaran
07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Which background app exactly was it in the end ?

davethejackal
07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
It was so long ago I really can't remember. Possibly "manycam" ... will get back to you if I remember!