PDA

View Full Version : The Gallaeci in TWR2

CheesyFreak
02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Hello im new to the forums and i want to make my entry with a interesting talk about how well this faction would fit in Rome 2 if CA would implement them(prob not but we (me) can dream).

First of who where the Gallaeci?

At the end of the Iron Age, people from northwestern Iberian Peninsula conformed already a ****geneous cultural unity which differentiated themselves from others and which later would be identified by the early Greek and Latin Authors, calling to this group of peoples with the name of Gallaeci (Galicians) perhaps due to their apparent similarity with the Galli (Gauls) and Gallati (Galatians).
The Gallaeci were originally a Celtic people who have occupied for centuries the territory of modern Galicia and northern Portugal, were limited to the south with the Lusitanians and to the east with the Astures. In ethnic terms, they were the firsts Galicians (word derived from Gallaeci). The Gallaecian habitat was based in fortified villages that receive the name of Castrus (hillforts), ranging its size from small villages with less than a hectare (more common in the north), and great hillforts with more than 10 hectares, named "Oppida" or "Citânia", being this last type, more common in the southern half of the traditional settlement.

The Gallaeci's political organization was based on small independent states formed by a high number of hillforts, these states were headed by the figure of a local king that the Romans called "princeps" as in other parts of Europe. Each Gallaecian identified himself as a member of the hillfort where lived, as well as the state / people to whom it belonged, and which the Romans called "Populus". Among the Galleci existed numerous names of tribes as; the Artabri, the Bracari, the Coelerni, the Grovii, the Nemetati, etc.. in the same way that by the end of the 18th century, Galicians identified themselves with their parish and their county.
In religious terms, the Gallaeci showed a Celtic religion based on the cult to panceltic gods as Bormanus, Coventina and Lugus beyond others as Bandua, Cossus, Endovelicus, Reue, etc.

and now why i think the Gallaeci would fit greatly in Rome 2 Total War,

They where a big tribe (Having Galicia,north Portugal and part of Asturias and Léon) standing an army of 60000 men strong(according to wikipedia) they probably had great units with strong iberian steel and strong cavalry(wich the Romans tooks over like anything else worth taking over) and had alot of gold mines(ingame economy boost?) wich where wanted by the romans another thing was that after
the cantabrian wars the last gallaeci resistance commited mass suicide after being defeated so maybe highpublic resistance against a
new ruler that conquered them?

That was about it discuss what you think about maybe having the Gallaeci in TWR2 and please correct me if anything in the info is wrong i got most info from the internet(wich is not always a reliable source)

Thanks for your time :)

El Libertador
02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Maybe as an unplayable faction but not as a playable one. We have enough barbarians.

CheesyFreak
02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
You think? we got 3 "civilised"factions and 3 "barbarian"factions with 2 still unknow doesnt seem like too much for me. but thats my opinion

El Libertador
02-15-2013, 05:03 PM
You think? we got 3 "civilised"factions and 3 "barbarian"factions with 2 still unknow doesnt seem like too much for me. but thats my opinion
The problem here are the Iceni. They wold have been good as a DLC faction but now we will have 3 barbarian factions and 2 eastern ones. A barbarian tribe in Spain could be interesting as a DLC...I think I remember that Jack Lusted posted pics of Iberian helmets...

daelin4
02-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Sounds like one Iberian faction to fill up that area, like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hallstatt_LaTene.png
Note: the grey coastal areas would have been Carthaginian/ Greek colonies.

The good thing about having Gallaeci as a minor faction is that they can exist instead of generic Rebels. These smaller factions could even have grey colour coding, but their own name (rather than X rebels) and their own faction emblem, if the selection of colour-coding is too small to accommodate every action in the campaign.

Sertorius
02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Cantabrians, Cantabrians, Cantabrians.

doinwork34
02-15-2013, 07:11 PM
There are enough barbarians now. Plus, at this point in production they probably already have all the factions set. So unless its an unplayable faction, it wont be in the game.

CheesyFreak
02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
While i would much more prefer Gallaeci(cause i live in the area that they ruled over lol) i also would love to play as cantabrians :P

i know they probably have all their factions set now but i made this thread to see what people think if they WHOULD appear in the game, its only a discussion matter of how well they would fit and what kind of infantry/allies/starting territory they would have :).

also daelin4

a nice emblem they could make for the Gallaeci is similar to the Rome Surrectum 2 one http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8062/unled1copyw.png

Yeah the Grey part of the map in Iberia is all Carthage aside from a Greek settlement around what we know as Barcelona today.

also if you mean that all the brown part is the Gallaeci they are not those are all celtic/celtiberian tribes in Iberia and the Gallaeci are only what i pointed out with wikipedia, if you didnt mean that excuse me and carry on please

(i replied like this because the reply with quote doesnt seem to work for me :|)