PDA

View Full Version : Nice New Developer Video.

totalwarzone
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Video Part 1 & 2

http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/videos/3394

Interview

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1130/Double-barreled-Shogun
;)

Xernoxis
02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Nice! Thanks for posting.

EDIT: A guy played 1900 hours of E:TW (or was it N:TW) ;o

totalwarzone
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Question, wheres Part one?

RaftermanDK
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Its right besides part 2 :)

luckylimburger
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
He's right, part one is visible now. It wasn't visible a few minutes ago though.

totalwarzone
02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
thx.................................

Naisho
02-24-2011, 04:38 PM
I am not even seeing part 1 or 2 lol all I got is the link to a video the isnt on the lists lol

luckylimburger
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Why did they skip Medieval 2?

GrudgeNL
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Why did they skip Medieval 2?

Yh been wondering about that too.

Slippybee
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Top left panel of the other videos below.

http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/videos/3394

Thanks for posting - some interesting stuff.

Naisho
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
medieval 2 wasn't developed by them. different dev team

The video isn't on the US side, switch to the UK side.

totalwarzone
02-24-2011, 04:53 PM

The video isn't on the US side, switch to the UK side.

thx for Info....................................

luckylimburger
02-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Yeah, but it's the Total War heritage they're supposed to be talking about. Not the Horsham dev team heritage.

Ashikaga
02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Sorry, but in what way is this interesting ?

Ok, removed some of the critical comment.

Ash.

Naisho
02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Ashikaga it may be under interesting to you, but what are all documentraries? A bounch of blabbing people talking about past events. For most people its interesting to get inside their mind.

Luckylimburger, for all intents and purposes no one from their main dev location ever worked on medieval 2. The entire dev team was in fact absorbed by sega in Australia.

How can people talk about a game they never created? Besides its not uncommon for dev teams to completely ignore products within a "universe" and ignore entire plot lines because they never created it. Case and point is the Star Wars series. We can argue until we are blue in the face about the continuity of the star wars universe but there are so many stories that almost literally happen at the same exact time with characters almost appearing in two places at once. So to get past that they most of the time ignore others content and it isn't the first time it has ever happened either.

Bonk
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
wow i didnt know that me2 was made by another team... mh that explaines why its stills my favorite ^^

does anybody else thin that these 2 movies are a bit cheesy?

Arvenides
02-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Interesting videos indeed. Thanks for posting.

I appreciate that they took the time and told us a little about what they think about the games.

Though, I think they could had said something about Medieval II Total War, even if it wasn't developed by them. I mean, it's still a part of Total War. Didn't it came with any new ideas or features worth mentioning? It would have been interesting to hear their thoughts about it as well. I really liked Medieval II myself.

But at the same time I have to agree with Naisho. Of course, if they didn't worked or got any contact with the game at all, they can't have been able to get so many thoughts about it. :p

Shireknight
02-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the link I loved those video's, could have done with more Rome though (about 2 hours more) ;)

GGTeMpLaR
02-25-2011, 01:58 AM
dude the devs sitting around a table drinking tea talking about total war series is amazing

awesome video

MrMaya1821
02-25-2011, 02:14 AM
1900 hours!!!! That is a megaton of gameplay, He must be a diehard celler dweller XD

Gobbo
02-25-2011, 02:31 AM
*sigh* I thought someone had banned Ashikaga already.

I love the fact that Kieran is easily the mouthiest of the whole team, he's barely been there 2 years... but I guess taht's because he's the communications manager. Good at communicating!

I found this really interesting. You can tell these guys love what they do and aren't just the people who made the game, but also its biggest fans.

MikeB
02-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the link I loved those video's, could have done with more Rome though (about 2 hours more) ;)

We were actually filmed for just short of seven hours, and then edited down quite dramatically. The clever editing chaps took out all the bits when we went off on wild tangents, tangents of those tangents and then rambled on some more.

So there was more on Rome, and lots of other things, but there was a lot of talking over each other, giggling and asking for even more tea (and a big "Thank you!" to the lady who kept us supplied with tea all day).

BTW, we did talk about M2TW a little, but the only person at the table who did work on Med 2 was me. I didn't say anything that interesting about it.

ranknfile
02-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I rather thought the sieges in Kingdoms was the best yet. I particularly like the way "lower" siege engines became nearly worthless against stronger walls (and the oil pouring down of course - quite wicked - loved it).

Aidan Rhane
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Nice videos! ;)

But I'd love to see a more structured and expanded documentary style video charting the development of the TW series.

GrudgeNL
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Agreed aidan, I'd like to seem something like this of CA:

''http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gxFa GKHbEY''

believe it or not but even links are getting cencored. yes, it says Fa G. without spacebar xD.
If you want to see the link, place the url in ur browser without the space bar between a and G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JXDELFoSLU&feature=channel

etc.

Mastahful
02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
BTW, we did talk about M2TW a little, but the only person at the table who did work on Med 2 was me. I didn't say anything that interesting about it.

I'll have to correct you there Mr Mike, we were the only 2 people at the table who worked on Med 2. However we did ramble on about all the other games so much more that I’m sure there just wasn’t enough Med2 footage to balance in the final cut.

Who knows, maybe one day we will release the uncut version, however I’m not the legal department would like that idea :p

Ashikaga
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
I am very pleased to see people actually working with CA on these threads for a change.

My question to them is if they could also appear with their comments on the threads which look critically at the erroneous Japanese language used in the game, the too large horse threads and other threads debating historicity and authenthicity of the game, to give their feedback to people who would like to know what is going on and why.

Naisho, your comment on the Star Wars franchise is thorough and correct.

Ash.

MikeB
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I'll have to correct you there Mr Mike, we were the only 2 people at the table who worked on Med 2. However we did ramble on about all the other games so much more that I’m sure there just wasn’t enough Med2 footage to balance in the final cut.

Who knows, maybe one day we will release the uncut version, however I’m not the legal department would like that idea :p

I stand corrected. Or rather "sit corrected" on the naughty step. :)

But uncut? That would mean... eek. Legal wouldn't like that. At all.

Why not post up your "Making of the Making of..." phone footage? :D

Dionysius the Mighty
02-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Wow, there's really only two people on the current team who worked on M2TW? I guess it was made is the Brisbane studio though, so that should explain it. I wonder how many people, if any, have worked on all the Total War games?

Mastahful
02-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow, there's really only two people on the current team who worked on M2TW? I guess it was made is the Brisbane studio though, so that should explain it. I wonder how many people, if any, have worked on all the Total War games?

There are a handful more of people that worked on Med 2 from this studio, but only 2 of us in the video.

Dionysius the Mighty
02-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Oh, I see. Well that's good to know, I liked M2TW a lot. I've been wanting to reinstall it for a while, but when I moved to the US I brought the game disks and forgot the CD key! XD

Hidden Gunman
02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
It's still a good game...even if the south of France looks a lot like the hinterlands behind Brisbane, lol...

I swear those were gum trees...

Sasu
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I've been with these games so long that these videos are a bitter sweet experience. Really good stuff and engaging to listen, but (probably due to the editing) only scratching the surface like an angry little kitten.

You should release a raw cut or, even better, make a real document on the history of ALL these games (hire an outside doc team or something). It's been a decade+ of TW story.

Naisho
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I second, a documentary on the TW games :D

jimmy44
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Congratulations to CA, I thought these dev videos were a breath of fresh air - a great way to put a public face on the development team. What was great about the videos is the people involved came across as real fans, rather than just developers - it also shows the passion and pride they have in their games.

They also made me feel a bit guilty - I really bashed Empire hard (and dumped from the forum as a result!) but I now know my expectations were too high, and it was honest of CA to indirectly admit they probably bit off a bit more than they could chew.

Its a shame for me only because the 18th century is my favorite period by far, and this is the one time I hoped CA would nail it. Anyway I'm sure they have on Shogun2 and NTW was a big improvement. Thanks guys, and apologies for my critical comments in the past!

Shireknight
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM

Next time I'm at the office you can slip me a copy of the uncut version in a plain brown envelope ;)

King Rufus
02-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Very cool video :). Many thanks guys and thanks totalwarzone for both finds :).

ryan23332
02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
I am very pleased to see people actually working with CA on these threads for a change.

My question to them is if they could also appear with their comments on the threads which look critically at the erroneous Japanese language used in the game, the too large horse threads and other threads debating historicity and authenthicity of the game, to give their feedback to people who would like to know what is going on and why.

Naisho, your comment on the Star Wars franchise is thorough and correct.

Ash.

Why do you whine about that i mean the horses arent too big i have seen bigger horses. they are different from the other games so what maybe i mean why are all men the same length etc.. who cares about those things. Do you even enjoy the total war games? Because i know i do! The reason why they dont react is because they are gonna have to disapoint some people. And who cares about the japanese language the japanese maybe but i dont think CA can redo all the voice acting and translations in the time to come. If you had paid attention you would know that some historic things cant be correct like they say naval battles took forever they have to reduce that time to make it fun. Most of the things that arent correct arent mistakes they are there to make the game more fun.