PDA

View Full Version : All Factions FREE DLC NOW OUT

portugal1
09-21-2013, 10:36 PM
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618568-Playable-Factions-%28Total-103-Added-this-round-80%29

blitzsnake
09-21-2013, 10:38 PM
How will CA react?

Cwenraed
09-21-2013, 10:39 PM
hehe this will be interesting. hopefully.

WillensKraft
09-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Not really, you just play under a different faction name, the units/buildings/.. are the same (barbarians/medit./..)

portugal1
09-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Not really, you just play under a different faction name, the units/buildings/.. are the same (barbarians/medit./..)

yes, you play under a different faction name, location, different units as well

SamueleD
09-21-2013, 10:43 PM
How will CA react?

As long as they will update the mod not to unlock paid DLC factions once the DLCs are out, I don't think there will be any problems.
Besides, if they did unlock paid DLC factions TWC would probably ban them.

It was CA itself that explained us how to make factions playable without making the game crash anyway: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618473-Rome-II-Raw-DB-files-and-Faction-Modding-Info

And yeah most factions are copies of each other, but there are some unplayables who are very interesting, either because of positioning, unit roster or other factors.

triptyck
09-21-2013, 10:45 PM
CA's ok with it.

They know people were modding non-playables like the Seleucids. Jack Lusted was also giving tips on what edits non-playable factions would need regarding faction families to make them work.

Which is awesome.

We'll just have to see what official DLC will look like, and how they'll differentiate them from modded, crowbarred non-playables.

Sebt1890
09-21-2013, 10:47 PM
The paid DLC will most likely have different or specialized units tailored to that specific faction.

portugal1
09-21-2013, 10:49 PM
The paid DLC will most likely have different or specialized units tailored to that specific faction.

thats my guess, hopefully the modders will just copy them over for free

DP1982SK
09-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Well, the thing is, that the DLC will probably contain also extra units, so this won't replace them, but it certainly gives some access to fun factions like the ones from nomadic culture Scythia or Dacia or some sub-saharan or sub-arabian factions. It's a pity that the only eastern faction so far is Parthia and their flagship unit - cataphracts - is kind of useless as it dies super fast after the charge. It should be the best cav unit and it is outclassed by some barbarian cav. units, just because they classified them as shock cav...

WillensKraft
09-21-2013, 10:55 PM
yes, you play under a different faction name, location, different units as well
name me a single unit that wasn't in the game already.

IMO CA/SEGA wanted/still wants - if they are ******g ******ed - to make 'special' factions such as Sparta DLC with unique units etc, not 103 faceless copy&paste things fielding the same stuff in a different colour. The special stuff that stands out, not some random barbarian tribe no one knows a thing about and that never really did something remarkable.

Pepperami
09-21-2013, 11:11 PM

Indian Armoured War Elephants are currently not usable by vanilla player factions.

portugal1
09-21-2013, 11:45 PM

so you haven't actually played as seleucid

m1337
09-21-2013, 11:56 PM
waste of time the why play this factions they don't even have faction bonuses boring... will just wait for CA to release with new unique units and the mods will probably not be able to mod new units in since they are not in the original game

portugal1
09-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Indian Armoured War Elephants are currently not usable by vanilla player factions.

plus silver shield pikemen/swordsmen, hellenic cataphracts and scythed chariots

Trayvian
09-21-2013, 11:58 PM

No they won't, that is definitely against the agreements. Completely illegal to do what you suggest.

m1337
09-21-2013, 11:58 PM
plus silver shield pikemen, hellenic cataphracts and scythed chariots

why would u want to play this boring unkown factions ???

i only play rome and sparta anyway cuz they got the cool hollywood movies...

MikeP
09-22-2013, 12:00 AM
why would u want to play this boring unkown factions ???

i only play rome and sparta anyway cuz they got the cool hollywood movies...

that's constructive feedback. anticipate Rome III with only those 2 factions and cannon fodder everywhere else.

Pepperami
09-22-2013, 12:04 AM
plus silver shield pikemen, hellenic cataphracts and scythed chariots

Woah woah woah. He only wanted one!

portugal1
09-22-2013, 12:07 AM
No they won't, that is definitely against the agreements. Completely illegal to do what you suggest.

that seems unlikely

FrontlinerDelta
09-22-2013, 12:24 AM
that seems unlikely

Except it's true. That's like saying it's ok that modders out there make Rome 2 playable without steam or paying for it. It is illegal and CA will work actively to stop such mods.

charlieV
09-22-2013, 12:28 AM

That would probably get them in trouble then.

portugal1
09-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Except it's true. That's like saying it's ok that modders out there make Rome 2 playable without steam or paying for it. It is illegal and CA will work actively to stop such mods.

mods still require purchase of the game, seeing as this mod is allowed i doubt they would get upset if they added new units to it

MyNameBeatsYours
09-22-2013, 12:37 AM
mods still require purchase of the game, seeing as this mod is allowed i doubt they would get upset if they added new units to it

They mean that if a mod unlocked the greek city states, that mod would not be allowed by CA because then people can play as sparta without paying 8$ for the DLC.

If in the future CA gives a Persia DLC for 5$, that adds a couple new things to persia, mods that unlocked persia wouldnt be allowed anymore.

moonhoplite
09-22-2013, 12:39 AM
The DLC will be worth it.

The new factions will have the intro advisor speeches, and you get customised mini perks as with all factions.

All of that is worth my $10 per faction. You can't get these with modded non-playables.

pickler
09-22-2013, 12:45 AM
ok guys here is a video for people having problem installing. it works fine on my pc with latest patch. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbaK_7z0Z0

portugal1
09-22-2013, 12:50 AM
They mean that if a mod unlocked the greek city states, that mod would not be allowed by CA because then people can play as sparta without paying 8$ for the DLC.

If in the future CA gives a Persia DLC for 5$, that adds a couple new things to persia, mods that unlocked persia wouldnt be allowed anymore.

so you believe mod will become illegal when they release the sycthian dlc?

MikeP
09-22-2013, 12:52 AM
so you believe mod will become illegal when they release the sycthian dlc?

I believe scythia wouldn't be unlockable anymore as the data.pack is missing.

pickler
09-22-2013, 12:54 AM
this mod works fine. only issue is some voice problems. sparta and athens obviously you have to pay for and this mod does NOT unlock them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbaK_7z0Z0

portugal1
09-22-2013, 01:01 AM
I believe scythia wouldn't be unlockable anymore as the data.pack is missing.

currently unlocked but i see what you are saying

Crazio
09-22-2013, 01:01 AM
This DLC will probably make this game a whole lot more pleasant :D!

portugal1
09-22-2013, 01:08 AM
This DLC will probably make this game a whole lot more pleasant :D!

scythia and Seleucids are pretty fun

Sardorim
09-22-2013, 03:39 AM

Shogun 2 had mods for Factions but they didn't unlock Factions you could unlock via buying as it would have got them in trouble.

Arcaian
09-22-2013, 03:54 AM
Not just getting in trouble - it was the CA team that taught us how to unlock them in the first place. They can easily change it so that factions that have DLC are not unlockable with the current method, at least.

BuddyNugget
09-22-2013, 04:58 AM

The new factions will have the intro advisor speeches, and you get customised mini perks as with all factions.

All of that is worth my $10 per faction. You can't get these with modded non-playables.

Are you insane?!? $10 per faction! I was ****ed the Greek States was $8. So your telling me you wouldve paid $30 bucks for that DLC if thats what they charged? Factions that were in the game day one with all the units/buildings and etc that were in the DLC. Paid $8 to play as them. Stupidest greediest 'EA like' thing ever. They knew everyone would buy it too thats why they took it out of the game and made it paid DLC. Sparta and Athens 2 very familiar very popular ancient civilizations. That was a kick in the scrotum from CA.

El Monstero29
09-22-2013, 05:02 AM

I really hope you're joking....I'm playing as the Seleucids right now because of the mod in question and I can say faction perks aren't necessery at all. And intro advisor speeches? lol

I'm able to get indian armored elephants as my general's bodygaurd, but I haven't gotten far enough into the campaign to say whether I can actually recruit armored elephants.

I'm loving this mod :-)

zona
09-22-2013, 05:24 AM
How will CA react?
Well 1st they will make 15 more episodes of rally point videos. Than they talk your brains out about how with their new dlc AI will be beyond your level of understanding in terms of logic.
Than they will bring back Alexander again and start milking it as long as possible.. Talk about some almost 80% budget increase and how excited they are about it !
Than they will be jumping back and forth in time to bring you currently non-existant factions, because obviously they efed this one up already. After that, Barbarian Invasion. Than they will be selling you new non existent units... how much you wanna bet that Greek Flamethrower will be on steam for $1 ?

Gelston
09-22-2013, 05:29 AM
I don't feel like reading through three pages of "How will CA react!?!?!?". CA actually put out a guide on how to unlock the other factions. So, I'm pretty sure they won't react at all.

Ua'Ronain
09-22-2013, 05:52 AM
The mod brings new life to the campaign :) Bactria is my personal choice. just don't use the factions in quick battles and all is well.

portugal1
09-22-2013, 06:14 AM
The mod brings new life to the campaign :) Bactria is my personal choice. just don't use the factions in quick battles and all is well.

or ask the other player first if its okay

WhiteFlagofWar
09-22-2013, 06:18 AM

Probably mentioned, too lazy to look for it.

CA has been allowing mods like this since Rome 1...

Not only allowing, ecouraging..

nobody is going to get sued over this...or banned..or anything.

Regergek
09-22-2013, 06:23 AM
What?Why?That's the same as pirating.

portugal1
09-22-2013, 06:26 AM
What?Why?That's the same as pirating.

or just making a mod that is very very similar

AohLegend
09-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Probably mentioned, too lazy to look for it.

CA has been allowing mods like this since Rome 1...

Not only allowing, ecouraging..

nobody is going to get sued over this...or banned..or anything. Back in Rome 1 there was no faction dlc. I agree nobody's going to get sued or get in serious trouble, but the mod would probably get taken down if it was a dlc faction.

WhiteFlagofWar
09-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Back in Rome 1 there was no faction dlc. I agree nobody's going to get sued or get in serious trouble, but the mod would probably get taken down if it was a dlc faction.

Fair enough, though my point still stands.

Jack Lusted even helped some modders unlock the factions, the Seleucids(soon to be DLC, free, but still) being the main focus at the start.

So that leads me to believe that they don't really mind. :)

AohLegend
09-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Fair enough, though my point still stands.

Jack Lusted even helped some modders unlock the factions, the Seleucids(soon to be DLC, free, but still) being the main focus at the start.

So that leads me to believe that they don't really mind. :) Maybe, I still have a feeling that they'd have to make it so that dlc factions locked in the mod. They might not though since dlc will flesh out the factions a bit more, something that the mod won't do.

WhiteFlagofWar
09-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Maybe, I still have a feeling that they'd have to make it so that dlc factions locked in the mod. They might not though since dlc will flesh out the factions a bit more, something that the mod won't do.

That's the reason to get the DLC over the mods imo.

Think about the Otomo clan, they were in the game since the beginning, and modded in shortly there after. Though I don't remember seeing too many Portuguese tercos running around Japan before the DLC :D

I did DL the Seleucids mod a while back, and they honestly seem pretty complete(faction bonuses and all), leads me to believe that they were actually meant to be in the release, just were cut for some time related reason.

Anywho, I'm getting off topic. Point is, they do have to add something to the factions to make them worth buying, instead of just modding the in game versions to make them playable.

I hope that consist of more than just some bonuses...which I'm sure it will.

AohLegend
09-22-2013, 07:05 AM
That's the reason to get the DLC over the mods imo.

Think about the Otomo clan, they were in the game since the beginning, and modded in shortly there after. Though I don't remember seeing too many Portuguese tercos running around Japan before the DLC :D

I did DL the Seleucids mod a while back, and they honestly seem pretty complete(faction bonuses and all), leads me to believe that they were actually meant to be in the release, just were cut for some time related reason.

Anywho, I'm getting off topic. Point is, they do have to add something to the factions to make them worth buying, instead of just modding the in game versions to make them playable.

I hope that consist of more than just some bonuses...which I'm sure it will. About the Seleucids, I'd assume that's why they're free. And what I expect them to add to the dlc is a unique tech tree, add in some units, give them bonuses, and maybe unique buildings or something like that.

WhiteFlagofWar
09-22-2013, 07:10 AM
About the Seleucids, I'd assume that's why they're free. And what I expect them to add to the dlc is a unique tech tree, add in some units, give them bonuses, and maybe unique buildings or something like that.

When I say complete, I mean COMPLETE.

Unique Hellenistic Cataphracts, Indian Armored Elephants, Silver Shield Pikemen and Swordsmen(name escapes me now)with their own voice overs(you know, yelling "SILVER SHIELD PIKEMEN!"), complete tech tree, the whole nine yards. Like I said, would really like to know why they aren't in game...Only thing missing is the intro.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they knew that people were going to have problems with the game, so they took one of the most popular factions out, and gave them back for free to win over some of the players.

The hopeful side of me hopes theres 1-2 more units that just weren't quite ready, so they decided to finish them, or something along those lines.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

AohLegend
09-22-2013, 07:12 AM
When I say complete, I mean COMPLETE.

Unique Hellenistic Cataphracts, Indian Armored Elephants, Silver Shield Pikemen and Swordsmen(name escapes me now)with their own voice overs(you know, yelling "SILVER SHIELD PIKEMEN!"), complete tech tree, the whole nine yards. Like I said, would really like to know why they aren't in game...Only thing missing is the intro.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they knew that people were going to have problems with the game, so they took one of the most popular factions out, and gave them back for free to win over some of the players.

The hopeful side of me hopes theres 1-2 more units that just weren't quite ready, so they decided to finish them, or something along those lines.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I think that they just didn't have enough time, so that's why they're adding them for free since they may have been meant to be in the original release. And I've heard that they have some overpowered units as well.

MikeP
09-22-2013, 07:14 AM
I think that they just didn't have enough time, so that's why they're adding them for free since they may have been meant to be in the original release. And I've heard that they have some overpowered units as well.

you mean like this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169475/Creative_Assemblys_fairly_brutal_approach_to_achie ving_high_Metacritic_scores.php

at least it would explain some things about deadlines and the current state of the game :rolleyes:

WhiteFlagofWar
09-22-2013, 07:15 AM
I think that they just didn't have enough time, so that's why they're adding them for free since they may have been meant to be in the original release. And I've heard that they have some overpowered units as well.

I didn't play with them for very long, just long enough to test out a couple of the units, but I can say that the Indian Armored Elephants are insanely OP.

I had them fight several battles for me on their own, and they were crazy. Talking like kill 1500 people, capture a walled city, and not lose a single elephant in the process.

Not only that, they are a general unit so you get them for free, instantly. Pretty crazy stuff...

AohLegend
09-22-2013, 07:18 AM
I didn't play with them for very long, just long enough to test out a couple of the units, but I can say that the Indian Armored Elephants are insanely OP.

I had them fight several battles for me on their own, and they were crazy. Talking like kill 1500 people, capture a walled city, and not lose a single elephant in the process.

Not only that, they are a general unit so you get them for free, instantly. Pretty crazy stuff... Holy ******g ****. Sorry for the swearing but my god that's ridiculous!

WhiteFlagofWar
09-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Holy ******g ****. Sorry for the swearing but my god that's ridiculous!

Should've added a *disclaimer: of...

I played a custom battle, and put them against some higher tier units, and although they were still good, they were not near as good. The armor gives them a nice buff against ranged units, which early game is nothing but slingers. They effectively did no damage, and would just roll over the eastern spearmen that I was put up against.

Against some Romans (armored legionarries I believe they were), I think I lost a group of them, but not before they killed quite a few of them...

Still a very good unit regardless, and that's not even mentioning the other units at the Seleucids disposal....

I'm very much looking forward to this faction. Can't play the modded one...feels like I'm cheating the game :p

AohLegend
09-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Should've added a *disclaimer: of...

I played a custom battle, and put them against some higher tier units, and although they were still good, they were not near as good. The armor gives them a nice buff against ranged units, which early game is nothing but slingers. They effectively did no damage, and would just roll over the eastern spearmen that I was put up against.

Against some Romans (armored legionarries I believe they were), I think I lost a group of them, but not before they killed quite a few of them...

Still a very good unit regardless, and that's not even mentioning the other units at the Seleucids disposal....

I'm very much looking forward to this faction. Can't play the modded one...feels like I'm cheating the game :p Once the Seleucids come out I'm going to have to do some serious spamming in multiplayer.

portugal1
09-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Once the Seleucids come out I'm going to have to do some serious spamming in multiplayer.

there is a 2 unit limit on them i believe, they pretty good for their cost though

Brass
09-22-2013, 08:58 AM
you mean like this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169475/Creative_Assemblys_fairly_brutal_approach_to_achie ving_high_Metacritic_scores.php

at least it would explain some things about deadlines and the current state of the game :rolleyes:

That's ugly. CA - why don't you, y'know, just concentrate on just making a good game?

Heaton says he would much rather reject a feature that the studio invested resources in, than have it left in the game and affecting its quality. "You know, every step of the way -- from the beginning to the end -- we're talking about a 90 percent Metacritic," the Creative Assembly director emphasizes. "That's our goal. That's what we tell Sega. And we communicate that through graphs, basically, of where we think we are."

Please forget your stupid graphs. You released a game full of shoddy features that don't work/people don't like and you got your lowest ever metacritic score. This approach isn't working is it?

Remember when developers made games for the sake of making a really good game, not some stupid projection about reviews? Try rememberingthose days. It will benefit you in the long run.

That article to demonstrates conclusively CA have totally sold their soul to idiotic corporate garbage at all levels of development hook, line and sinker. It explains why Rome II has no soul. It was made by robots who care only about their graphs.

portugal1
09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
That's ugly. CA - why don't you, y'know, just concentrate on just making a good game?

Please forget your stupid graphs. You released a game full of shoddy features that don't work/people don't like and you got your lowest ever metacritic score. This approach isn't working is it?

Remember when developers made games for the sake of making a really good game, not some stupid projection about reviews? Try rememberingthose days. It will benefit you in the long run.

That article to demonstrates conclusively CA have totally sold their soul to idiotic corporate garbage at all levels of development hook, line and sinker. It explains why Rome II has no soul. It was made by robots who care only about their graphs.

i can understand why they do it, but it should just be abandoned, especially if the features are actually fun

prince_of_persia
09-23-2013, 12:09 AM
started my first campaign with an unlocked nation. so far over 30 turns with no problems. smooth as silk. keeping a vlog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBX2eZn18Gc