Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Screen

Junior Member Private

Unhappy Black Screen

Hi whenever i try and start up shogun the screen stays black, i can hear music in the background i dont know if this is a compatability issue or anything else but it is quite annoying. btw i have made enough space by uninstalling MTW2 and Sims 3 and also reinstalled the game all help would be well recieved

Junior Member Private

Sorry to say, apparently the people that work for this company dont give a rats *** about your problem and you'll likely get a "please post your dxdiag" response and then nothing.

Junior Member Private

I'm having the same problem, meaning I can't even play a game I've paid for. It's essentially a black screen simulator.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

you'll likely get a "please post your dxdiag" response and then nothing.
    I am a software developer and I can tell you that the first thing you need to do in order to fix a bug is to be able to reproduce that problem. And without any information about the system on which the problem occurs, how can you do that?!?

Dave the Ninja

Please zip up your dxdiag and post it in this thread.

Thanks

Dave B

Junior Member Private

I have managed to fix this. Go to the shogun2.exe file here:

\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2. Right click on the .exe file and go to the compatibility tab. Select "Run in 640x480 screen resolution"

Now run the game in steam. This allows you now see the menu screen. Go into settings and experiment with changing the resolutions. It turns out the game was launching at something like 1900x1200 which was causing my screen to stay black. I found that from here I could change the resolution to 1680x1050

Once you're happy with your settings launch the game and make sure all is well. Exit and go back to the exe file and uncheck the box you checked earlier then press apply. Then run the game again and it should boot up fine. This just worked for me!!!

Junior Member Private

I have the same problem and i just try doing what you did but it still stayed black but also my screen start to act up when i had it set "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" i hope anyone else has an other suggestion on what can fix this

Junior Member Private ShogunTW2's Avatar

Default I have it for battles

I have the same problem as what you've said except mines only occurs during battles. Currently ive never played a single battle yet and ive got the game since it came out. the screan just turns black as soon as i start a battle but i can see the panel on the bottom left showing wat units i have. I can still hear sound and all but the screan is black and it starts flickering very randomly. Does anybody have a suggestion?

+ Reply to Thread