Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Music and Sound: Is this what is lacking in Rome 2?

  1. #11
    Senior Member Lieutenant BloodSpiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mount Olympus
    Posts
    457

    Default

    I will pay for a Rome 1 soundtrack to Rome 2 as a DLC CA
    My Classical Greece mod:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...81&searchtext=

    Total War games that need to be made AFTER Rome II will be FIXED :
    !1) Ancient Egypt Total War
    2) Classical Age Total War
    3) Medieval III Total War
    4) Total War Alexander II (Rome II Expansion)
    5) Total War Barbarian Invasion II (Rome II Expansion)
    6) The New World Total War
    7) Modern Total War
    8) World War Total War

  2. #12
    Member Private
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I can still remember the music from Shogun, Rome, and Shogun II. I honestly couldn't even give you the tune for any of the music in Rome II. The music is bland and forgettable. I wouldn't say it's the only reason Rome II is lifeless, but I'm honestly confused as to why they replaced Jeff Van Dyck.

    So much of Rome II would have been better if CA had stuck with the mantra of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Innovation is good, but Rome II was too much reinventing the wheel to make anything work properly.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Lieutenant Janduin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahsas View Post
    I can still remember the music from Shogun, Rome, and Shogun II. I honestly couldn't even give you the tune for any of the music in Rome II. The music is bland and forgettable. I wouldn't say it's the only reason Rome II is lifeless, but I'm honestly confused as to why they replaced Jeff Van Dyck.

    So much of Rome II would have been better if CA had stuck with the mantra of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Innovation is good, but Rome II was too much reinventing the wheel to make anything work properly.
    Good point and agree with the last. Although I don't think Van Dyck has been involved since M2TW. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

  4. #14
    Junior Member Private
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I think the music has never been the same since they stopped using Jeff Van Dyck; the Empire, Napoleon, and Rome 2 songs are... okay. I'd play them as background music at work because they don't catch the attention. Which is the PROBLEM. The music SHOULD catch your attention.

    I, too, would pay money for a Rome 1 music DLC. Creative Assembly must own the rights to the Rome 1 soundtrack; the music already exists and they have the coding tools, so it should be EASY for them to code, much faster than creating new factions. Get on it, CA! The Rome 1 Music DLC for Rome 2 would be really worthwhile.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Major Vursinjetəriks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Agreed! Music is lacking. Along with the horrible copy&Paste voice acting.



    ^ Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai-Ebb&Flow

    Absolutely love this track. It captures the turmoil and the transition at such a pivotal point for Japan. Fall of the Samurai is such a wonderful expansion to Shogun 2, if not sad as well. It's always a bit cringing to see the old familiarities die out to the new innovations. -SeventhBeat

    I agree with this person.

    Rome 2 just feels like an empty shell. It has improvements, but at the same time, it takes steps back.
    It's not always that our enemies lurk in distant lands.

    There can be no peace, no peace with Romans, men of stone, and iron, and lies! There can be only war!

    Barbarian Victory
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjfwlVQzMmI

    Barbarian Intro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWoYlhhJ39s

  6. #16
    Senior Member Field-Marshall Hildor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The outskirts of Ratae Corieltauvorum
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    The expansion needs it's own new soundtrack. They could remake the R1 theme, keep the best elements of the current one and add new tracks with a melancholic feel to them (assuming it is the fall of Rome expansion)
    Pyrrhus deserved better

  7. #17
    Senior Member Major
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    700

    Default

    A lot of the problems with sound in this game are caused by poor mix downs and bad levels.

    Practically all campaign voiceovers from Generals are WAY too quiet but the "end turn" sound effect is WAY too loud!
    In battle, marching is LOUD but actual battle sounds are really quite quiet, and so are units unless you are right next to them when selecting.
    All skirmish units (archers, slingers, javelins) have sound problems. A rain of Javelins actually does just sound like a bit of rain! The sounds need more "weight" (bass) to them, they are way too wishy washy at the moment. It's almost impossible to hear the sound of a Javelin hitting off a shield or hitting the floor. I feel like 300 Javelins being thrown at the same time should actually be quite loud......

    Anyway, like I said, I think a lot of the problems are with the mixdown. The campaign music has a similar mix down issue, but it is more to do with the fact that music tends to reset upon battles and upon end turns. This means that the song barely gets going half the time before it is interrupted. I actually quite like some of the campaign music but I would definitely NOT say no to a return of ;



    I mean this song just brings back TONNES of wonderful memories the moment you hear the first note. It gives me chills that none of the music really does in Rome 2.

  8. #18
    Member Lance Corporal Crazyflyingpanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I think the sound of effects in battle are pretty decent, but I honestly forget that Rome 2 has a soundtrack sometimes. I agree with most of the posters here Rome I was my favourite soundtrack, it just blended with the rest of the game perfectly.
    Add me on steam if you want to: Crazyflyingpanda

    Experience is the teacher of all things- Julius Caesar

  9. #19
    Senior Member Brigadier nigesybar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tr0stskY View Post
    A lot of the problems with sound in this game are caused by poor mix downs and bad levels.

    Practically all campaign voiceovers from Generals are WAY too quiet but the "end turn" sound effect is WAY too loud!
    In battle, marching is LOUD but actual battle sounds are really quite quiet, and so are units unless you are right next to them when selecting.
    All skirmish units (archers, slingers, javelins) have sound problems. A rain of Javelins actually does just sound like a bit of rain! The sounds need more "weight" (bass) to them, they are way too wishy washy at the moment. It's almost impossible to hear the sound of a Javelin hitting off a shield or hitting the floor. I feel like 300 Javelins being thrown at the same time should actually be quite loud......

    Anyway, like I said, I think a lot of the problems are with the mixdown. The campaign music has a similar mix down issue, but it is more to do with the fact that music tends to reset upon battles and upon end turns. This means that the song barely gets going half the time before it is interrupted. I actually quite like some of the campaign music but I would definitely NOT say no to a return of ;



    I mean this song just brings back TONNES of wonderful memories the moment you hear the first note. It gives me chills that none of the music really does in Rome 2.
    Fantastic isn't it. I don't mind the music in r2 but nothing compares to this.

  10. #20
    Shireknight
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodSpiller View Post
    I will pay for a Rome 1 soundtrack to Rome 2 as a DLC CA
    Yep I would too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts