Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Culture System

The Creative Assembly Corporal CA_Thamis's Avatar

The New Culture System

I've already posted this in another thread, but I'm afraid it might get lost, and other people might be wondering about it. Here's an explanation of how the new culture system works:

Culture is completely provincial. So every settlement in a province contributes to this province's culture. If a province is divided between several factions, the provincial culture still is the same for ALL settlements of ALL factions in that province. With that we want to simulate culture spreading across borders (at least within a province).

In each province, there is a cultural equilibrium towards which the culture always tends. For example, if a province has 6 Latin cultural influence and 4 Hellenic cultural influence, the equilibrium would be 60% Latin and 40% Hellenic. Another example: With 4 Celtic and 2 Germanic influence, the equilibrium would be at 66.6% Celtic and 33.3% Germanic.

Now the current cultural breakdown will shift always towards the equilibrium. For example, if the equilibrium would be at 60% Latin and 40% Hellenic (6 Latin & 4 Hellenic influence), but the current cultural breakdown is 70% Latin and 30% Hellenic, then Latin would decrease and Hellenic would increase (even though Latin has a higher cultural influence than Hellenic), until the equilibrium is reached. The further a culture's percentage is from its desired equilibrium percentage, the bigger the change per turn is. This means that when a new culture enters a province, it will grow quickly at the beginning and then slow down when it gets closer to its equilibrium.

As soon as the cultural influence of any culture in a province changes (for example, because a building is constructed, or a dignitary enters the province), the equilibrium values are updated and the cultures will shift towards this new equilibrium.

A province's "local traditions" are just another cultural influence factor that is always there, which cannot be changed. Most provinces have a sum of 4 local traditions influence points (shared between cultures), while some "cultural capitals" such as Rome or Alexandria have stronger local traditions. Local traditions also mean that provinces cannot be converted 100% to a foreign culture -- added realism.

I hope I could help you understand the new system. If you think there's a bug, we would need the following information from you:
    - Current cultural breakdown of the province for each culture
    - Change per turn for each culture in the province
    - Total cultural influence for each culture in the province

Thanks for posting, and hopefully have fun with Caesar in Gaul!
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Junior Member Private

Bump, to keep this in everyone's view!

Thanks.
    (now fix siege AI pl0x)
    Last edited by Dodo; 12-19-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Senior Member Corporal Sharpy13's Avatar

Great post Thamis, could you Sticky it to the top of the forums?

yeah someone sticky this **** before it gets buried
    "The hair was just too majestic to get rid of." - Will CA

Senior Member Major-General Sirius 21's Avatar

Please, add this to the encyclopaedia.
    Admin of Total War Games Italia
    Youtube channel
    TWGI clan
    Steam Profile
    My system - Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced - PSU: Corsair HX 1000W - Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe - CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz - RAM: 6Gb Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz - Hard disks:Western Digital Velociraptor 600Gb 10000 RPM and WD Caviar Green 2Tb 7200 RPM - GPUs: CrossfireX XFX HD6950 2Gb XXX Edition - Sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - DVD RW: Pioneer DVR-219L and Samsung SH-S223F

Senior Member General Seienchin's Avatar

While this is a nice thought it creates a lot of Problems and cultural unrest is extremly high!
    Wont it make the AI even less likely to have an empire?

No, because the AI likes to convert. :-)
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major Gfile's Avatar

+1 for explanation. What happens if we own whole province and there is no outside influence (aka dignitaries)? Then what can cause rebellion? Previous culture or near by enemy border? To be more specific i am dealing with it in one of my provinces (whole province owned - converting from celtic to germanic) ...i have only temples (that add +1/+2 germanic culture) and food building built in all tree settlements without having buildings that add squalor and -public order and yet even with dignitary placed there (8 star) and full 2 stacks of army placed in settlement (2 out of 3) i still get -20 public order and spawn of rebels each turn... maybe some ghost spy is causing it? It shouldnt because i have 2 spies near by. Its just that i have to hold 2 full army for 10 turns without any clue how to convert this province and get rid of rebels. I didnt start a new campaign after patch 8 and not using any mod? Is there now a specific regions that simply refuse to accept new culture beside Rome and Alexandria? After 10 turns it should be fully converted, no?
    Intel i7 4770k
    Asus Maximus Hero VI
    Corsair Vengence 8 gb 1600 LP
    MSI gtx 770 Gaming
    Thermaltake Armor JR custom modified case
    Thermaltake Frio Advanced
    Razer Naga 2013
    Logitech G11
    Corsair GS 700
    Toshiba HD3D 32"
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

STEAM: green

When you mouse over your province's happiness display, you can see a precise breakdown in the tooltip what is creating unhappiness. And no, fully converting a province takes far more than 10 turns... Also, you can never "fully convert" to 100% if your culture is a foreign culture. You can get close, if you have a huge culture production, but you won't be able to hit 100%.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast