Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No AA, but deferred textures with DX 10? Please let us decide...

Junior Member Private

Default No AA, but deferred textures with DX 10? Please let us decide...

Please, you CA-Devs, hear my plea!

I really don't care about HDR, SSAO, Deferred Textures and other ROFLMAO-****. I only want AA.

Please take a step back and think about the graphics of your game. There is Grass, there are trees and there are tiny troups. MANY grass, trees and troups. Without AA they are all flickering like hell. I don't even see any of the new effects just because unclean edges make the graphics look like a 4-5 year old game. If you zoom out a bit all trees and troups look like a undefinable pile of pixels. Its just ugly.

It would be nice if you let US decide between all your shiny new effects and AA. Please don't force all DX9+10 users into deferred textures, ssao or even HDR. I also think that we already had this discussion with DX9 and HDR. For many players AA is the most important graphics effect. Please support it.

Junior Member Private

I am missing the option to use AA, and had to hardware force it with my CCC drivers for my ATI 6890 Video Card, which is not ideal.

As I understand it, this will be addressed in the next/very early patch. Can anyone confirm that with a SEGA source?

Senior Member Colonel SnoopyTRB's Avatar

AA will be enabled when they release the DX11 update. AA will work on DX10.1 and DX11.

As to choosing, you can't just flip a switch. The entire game engine would had to be rewritten. Deferred shading is how thr game is doing all it's lighting and shadowing. There will be no way to pick between one or the other

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopyTRB View Post
    AA will be enabled when they release the DX11 update. AA will work on DX10.1 and DX11.

As to choosing, you can't just flip a switch. The entire game engine would had to be rewritten. Deferred shading is how thr game is doing all it's lighting and shadowing. There will be no way to pick between one or the other
    Then i hope they don't forget it in their future games. Shogun 2 without AA is just a ugly game. Usually u zoom out. Then you have trees and soldiers everywhere. You don't even notice shadows or texture mapping/lighting/shadows anymore when a tree has about 50-100 pixels in size and a soldier has about 50. At this (usual) zoom level you don't even see a texture. You just see colors and pixel-edges in cause of the missing anti aliasing.

I really don't understand why its more important for CA to make their game look pretty only in perspective that isn't used most of the time.

Nobody plays in this perspective:
    http://www.pcgames.de/Shogun-2-Total...8293/?fullsize

We play in this perspective.
    The only good texture is the one of the ground. The walls are nearly invisible because there are too much edges. the transition of the wall to the snow are very crude - in cause of the edges. The trees are just pixels.
    Or take a look at this picture
    The Troops in front are nice. There is good lighting. There are clearly visible textures. But if you look at the troops that are a little bit away from the view-position you'll see nothing more than a few colors and more and more pixel-piles. Even the nice lighting you notice on the helmets in the front is mostly gone.

Please take a look at the trees, buildings and troops(who are a little bit far away) in this AA-pictures of medieval 2:
    http://www.nexgam.de/media/cache/nex...tal-War-10.jpg
    or this:
    http://filesdnld.civru.com/here/nov0...ots/M2TW14.jpg
    They are anti aliased.

In my oppinion its just wrong to improve close range graphics but don't really care about the view position that nearly all players use most of the time.
    Last edited by Kulin; 03-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Senior Member Corporal

I agree with the above poster, the zoomed out perspective makes the lack of AA worse.

And why is it that only DX 10.1 and not DX 10.0 supports AA? At least 90% have video cards that support DX 10, but fewer that support DX 10.1
    Does deferred shading really require DX 10.1 or is it because ATI, who jumped on the DX 10.1 bandwagon sooner, is your sponsor?

Junior Member Private

"yes, but if we never agree on not buying anymore a game that requires the user to spend $ 400 on a video card by whim, CA will continue to do what he wants, society will never understand that power is ours as consumers, if only frabric expensive cars, not buy more cars until they will manufacture a cheap one, if they dont do AA for DX9 games and DX10 (DX10 COME ON) Do not buy more games until they put AA on DX9 and DX10 (not 10.1), but very difficult to reach agreement but if we unite we will certainly get to that, there are social networks like this. We can demonstrate the power we have, and figth with the large corporations that take advantage of us to line their pockets".

Join us http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...60825257308402

Junior Member Private

I absolutely agree with author of this thread. all other render effects - no important.
    But AA. Without AA the game looks ugly. For this reason I even still have not played it.

When?When?When?When?When?When?When the Patch comes?

Tech-Hero. Master and Commander Iscaran's Avatar

No AA does not cause flickering - but explaining that will be a tough one.

In short:
    It has more to do with the "filtering" if you experience flickering. So increasing Anisotropic filtering setting or the quality of this in the drivers might help. Increasing the driver quality settings for mipmapping and the AF filters would also help....but just adding AA does practically nothing.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.

Junior Member Private

You are right. However: it's more about the uglyness of a game like this without AA than the flickering-problem. This game has too many tiny objects that need smooth edges! Without AA even medieval 2 looks better.

Member Lance Corporal Nichtswisser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iscaran View Post
    No AA does not cause flickering - but explaining that will be a tough one.

In short:
    It has more to do with the "filtering" if you experience flickering. So increasing Anisotropic filtering setting or the quality of this in the drivers might help. Increasing the driver quality settings for mipmapping and the AF filters would also help....but just adding AA does practically nothing.
    That is only partly right. Lack of AA does indirectly cause flickering. The leaves of a tree without AA for example cause a kind of flickering when they move. The effect is created everywhere where edges in bad need of AA overlap each other.

Edit: It's something that can not be seen on screenshots, it requires movement.
    Last edited by Nichtswisser; 03-28-2011 at 09:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread