Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2: Total War not starting via Steam

Junior Member Private

Default Shogun 2: Total War not starting via Steam

Hiya,

I've bought S2TW earlier today, and have been waiting around 10 hours at the moment for it to launch... It's stuck at 97% because of some update in Steam.

Steam was downloading updates for some of my other games too, and those downloaded at speeds close to 1mb/s. Once every few minutes, S2TW tells me it's downloading at 2kb/s... Hence it is still stuck at 97% after all this time.

Is there any way around this? Can I download this bloody update somewhere else? Can I start S2TW via another way (yes, I did try launching it from the Steam directory, to no avail)?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: This is one of the reasons to hate Steam, when I have bought a game I should be able to play it as soon as possible.

EDIT: Note that I did try changing the download region. And it looks like it works the first few moments after starting Steam (downloading at around 30 kb/s), only for it to go back to it's old state not even a minute later. So still stuck at 97%.
    Last edited by Mr. Gerbz; 03-22-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Junior Member Private

...So I guess this means these forums aren't active, or doesn't anyone know how to solve this problem?

EDIT: I'd almost call this a bloody scam. Why did I waste €90,- on a Collector's Edition that won't even start, and doesn't even include a soundtrack?
    Last edited by Mr. Gerbz; 03-22-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Junior Member Private

So, instead of the mod trying his best to help me out, he only closes my other thread.

I am starting to get really angry right now. I know it's unrealistic and futile (so don't expect me to make stupid threats like "see you in court"), but I'm studying International Law and thus I am slightly more aware of my rights than the average person might be.

I think researching everything you did wrong according to International Law will make a fun project.

EDIT: This is not aimed at the mod who closed my thread, which was according to forum regulation (but still, not even trying to help?), but at Creative Assembly for their appalling lack of service.
    Last edited by Mr. Gerbz; 03-23-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Junior Member Private

I just woke up, and it hasn't moved an inch. And great to see no one bothered to help yet.

Senior Member Corporal

Have you tried:
    1. Exit Steam then go to your Steam folder and rename the following files AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob, it will make new ones, resetting some settings You will need to re-enter your username and password !
    2. Right click on the game in Library -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify the intergity of the game cache
    [3. Right click on the game in Library -> Properties -> Untick "Enable Steam Community In-Game" and on the Updates tab untick "Enable Steam Cloud"]

Junior Member Private

Thank you for your time the_ecd. I have tried deleting clientregistry.blob yesterday, but did not work. Didn't try appupdatestats.blob, will try now.
    Also verified the game cache 8 times yesterday, all times it was 100%.
    Why would disabling the in-game features of Steam help btw?

EDIT: It is now at 0%. Sigh.
    EDIT2: After revalidating, it's at 97% once again. This is ****ing me off.
    Last edited by Mr. Gerbz; 03-23-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Senior Member Corporal

The step about in-game features was optional, sometimes they cause problems.
    But from what you describe, it may be that something (maybe an antivirus) might deny acces to steam's update.
    Other than that, you could always backup your game(s) and uninstall and remove all traces of Steam, then reinstall it and restore the game(s).

Junior Member Private

So, it 'kind of' started after reinstalling again. It showed me some kind of loading screen, with only the title. And then it decided to crash. Now it's stuck in updating again, but at 12% this time.

Junior Member Private

Seriously, how come no one else is having this problem? Why are the Steam servers stopping specifically me, downloading specifically Shogun 2 Total War?

Senior Member Corporal

Might be a connection problem, temporarily disable any firewall you have. Also, if you connect through a router check out this site http://portforward.com , select your model, skip the ad and select Steam Client. It'll show you how to open the ports that Steam might need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast