Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auto-Resolve-Bug in MP-Campaign fixed yet

Junior Member Private

Default Auto-Resolve-Bug in MP-Campaign fixed yet

Hey everyone,

because of the auto-resolve-bug we didn't play NTW for a long time because we wanted to wait until CA fixed this bug in the mp-campaign. I couldn't find any hints out there if or if not this problem has been fixed yet. So here is my question:

Is it already possible to play the campaign online WITHOUT this annoying bug that prevents us from fighting the battles personally instead of having to auto-resolve?

Member Lance Corporal

What autoresolve bug? I autoresolve a lot, and other than heavier than expected losses on light infantry types, it works fairly well.

Junior Member Private

= the bug that forces the players in the multiplayer-campaign to auto-resolve every battle instead of being able to chose to fight, no matter if a.i. against player or player vs. player... this was a bug already in the mp-campaign in empire and was also in napoleon ... makes the multiplayer-campaign unplayable if you want to fight the battles by your own and not let the computer do all the fun-work ...
    Last edited by jd81; 08-17-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: forgotten "s"

Member Lance Corporal

Sorry, but I wasn't quite awake this morning when I replied, and I didn't realize that I was in the MP section.

That said, autoresolve in the MPC is sometimes a bit wonky. I believe that if you are allied with the other player, you won't be able to choose to control the AI. I also think this is by design, so that the other human player doesn't throw the game by playing the AI stupidly.

However, even beyond this, there are times when the fight battle button is greyed out, and the choice is unavailable, forcing an autoresolve. If this happens, then the ability to fight for all battles in that session will be disabled. Usually when this happens, I've found that saving, exiting, and then restarting the game will clear up the problem.

I'm not sure if there is a flag that is not being set or retained in the save game file, or if the flag is dependent upon where in the turn the last save was performed. Or, if there is some issue altogether different. That's been my experience though, on how to work around it, when it's cropped up in my MPC games.

Junior Member Private

thanks JAMiAM, this is the bug I meant ;-) ... I've read about the workaround you suggest, but I must say, that, considering how long this bug is around (already in ETW) and the fact, that CA sold ETW with the promise there to be a mp-campaign and NTW WITH such a campaign, I am really ****ed off! Not only did they (did they yet?) not fix the bug, they even did not tell the community anything about it and how to handle this in the future. Probably CA is already working on S2TW and will promise there to be a working mp-campaign... again... I have no idea how hard it is to fix this bug, but at least I would want to know that CA is aware of it in WILL fix it asap.
    I had a hard time to convince my brother to buy NTW because he hates steam. I told him that NTW is a good game and the fact that we could play the campaign in mp should encourage him even if there was steam. Now we both are ****ed off because we bought a not properly working game. Ok, there might be a workaround, but to be true, either they fix the problem or they sell the game with a note that you need to restart to game every few turns in mp to play "properly"...

Junior Member Private

Hey again,

I wonder there are so many people out there playing the NTW campaign in multiplayer and yet there is no one who can answer the question if a patch für NTW fixed the auto-resolve-issue yet???

yes , because this isnt an issue that anybody o know has had.PErhaps your settings are incorrect , other than that, it looks like u stopped playing for no apparent reason.

Junior Member Private

@ secret spy

Well, I cannot rule out the possibility that I made something wrong when setting up a game, BUT I'm pretty sure that what I describe is or at least was a bug: playing the campaign in mp we were able to fight battles against each others faction or against an a.i. controlled faction in real time. but suddenly when it came to a battle, the option to actually fight the battle was greyed out - no matter if we were allies or not. after we started a new mpc we did not have that problem for a few rounds but then again... at that time, which was several months ago I think, I searched the internet and found this described as a BUG in the mpc of ETW and also in NTW. So, I am not the only one who has had this problem as you can see here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=335331
    The only thing I want to know is if this problem which I'm pretty sure is not caused by my "stupidity" has been fixed yet. But it seems as if I will have to find out myself...

P.s.: JAMiAM's second post ALSO confirms, that he is aware of such a BUG when he names a workaround... so please do not say: "because this isnt an issue"...
    Last edited by jd81; 08-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Junior Member Private

So, we tested it and look what we found:
    After a few turns in the mpc the was a first battle to be fought - and we did not have the chance to fight against each other (one as a.i.). All game-settings were correct and we were not allied. So, I saved the game, attacked a city and was only able to auto-resolve. We then restarted the game, loaded the savegame and I attacked the same city again - suddenly, we were able to fight the battle...

Conclusion: THERE IS STILL A BUG AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT IT YET!!!

Well, we then tried to play the game as long as the bug would appear again, knowning that we at least could restart the game to make it work again. Nice try, but suddenly my Steam lost connection, which was definitely not my or my computers fault...

So: NICE WORK CA, NICE WORK VALVE... As we both were big fans of the TW-Series, we won't buy any other games that need steam and/or are from CA as long as we cannot be sure, that the game is at least playable (bugs probably can't be avoided, but a developer that does not fix them...). No wonder why people illegally copy games, buying them would only cause regrets having spent so much money on such imperfect products...

Junior Member Private

I have now played over 400 hours in MP campaign; we set the default to fight battles and allow players to fight as AI, we have never had this problem.
    The main problems we have with the MP campaign is the ability to give regions to a another country or liberate them, usually a nuetral, which causes any enemy army to be moved to a friendly territory. Kind of frustrating to land a English army in Russia to help out the Russian and the French player takes a province, gives it to a nuetral or liberates it, and your English army that took 8 turns to get there is automatically transported back to England. They should have made any protectorates automatically at war with any countries the protector is and also not being able to give the territory to a nuetral if there are other armies in the territory.
    Also, you should be able to build ships in ports that are blockaded, currently, they just stay in limbo-British tactic to send a sloop to every enemy Dockyard and blockade it, the enemy is never able to build ships.
    Last edited by Termite2; 08-21-2010 at 02:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread