Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BUYERS BEWARE - re: Brady Games Shogun 2 Guide

Senior Member Corporal

Default BUYERS BEWARE - re: Brady Games Shogun 2 Guide

Just purchased the new Brady Games Shogun2 e-book strategy guide thru STEAM. For the comparable full price of a PRINTED Strategy guide you ONLY get a link ON the Steam page to access the guide VIA the STEAM site. There is no .PDF to print out or even anything downloaded into the .../SteamApps/... location on your PC to find and print out and/or store on a Smartphone for easy access.

When I'm online thru STEAM I play the Total War games. I read manuals/e-books regarding STEAM published games when I'm offline and generally when I don't have internet access.

This is acceptable for e-books priced reasonably lower then print books like Kindle Books but for an e-book fully priced or nearly fully priced compared to its printed version it's not acceptable and is a rip off. My $02.

edit> Support moderators... though I stand by my comments above... I believe I accidentally started this thread in the wrong forum. You might move it to the main forum or the News and Announcements forum. Sorry.
    Last edited by Gray_Lensman; 03-26-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Wrong forum

I bought it to and it's the worst ever. You have to constantly download pages and it's slow as hell. A total rip off from steam. Do not buy!
    System
    I7 4930K CPU
    16Gb Kingston Beast 2400MHz
    Asus Rampage IV Formula
    Asus GTX Titan SLI
    Fortron Aurum 1000w PSU

Senior Member Major-General Dribbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dribbs View Post
    Looks like there is going to be an eGuide for Shogun 2 though ...
    http://www.bradygames.com/store/prod...sbn=0744013038

Personally, I think these guides are a rip off. They contain information that should be in the manual anyway. They're usually not all that comprehensive. And most importantly, the information they contain is available on the internet for free (and often in more detail). There is loads of information on this forum and on other fan sites. For starters, check out the (sticked) Guide to the Guides thread ...
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l-War-Shogun-2)
    Well, I hate to say I told you so

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Raggz View Post
    I bought it to and it's the worst ever. You have to constantly download pages and it's slow as hell. A total rip off from steam. Do not buy!
    I found the information to be somewhat interesting however...

It's possible to make up a .PDF file screenshot by screenshot but it's a lot of work.

I won't be buying another e-guide off the STEAM site however... Too much trouble..

edit> deleted the details of how to make a PDF... might not be kosher to publicly post them. Sorry.
    Last edited by Gray_Lensman; 03-26-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Moved.

Moderator Master and Commander mmurray821's Avatar

Good to know about the guide. Thanks.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.

Member Lance Corporal

To be fair, if the guide was available in .pdf it would be on bittorrent almost instantly.

Senior Member Corporal

Thumbs up Honestly...

To be honest guys, you all need a brady guide on this game? The encylopedia provided in the game tells a lot of what you need to know in the game already.

Strategies provided in these kind of guides, is rather sketchy at best except they may give you a colorful map or something. Colorful explanation on what a Ashigaru foot is etc.... Tell me something i dun know.

The only time a guide is needed i reckon would be for games like Final Fantasy series.

Anyway since it is PDF format only, it is nice for the OP to warn the other potential buyers.

Senior Member Brigadier

the last game i bought a guide for was for homeworld like 12 years ago lol.

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjiro View Post
    To be honest guys, you all need a brady guide on this game? The encylopedia provided in the game tells a lot of what you need to know in the game already.

Strategies provided in these kind of guides, is rather sketchy at best except they may give you a colorful map or something. Colorful explanation on what a Ashigaru foot is etc.... Tell me something i dun know.

The only time a guide is needed i reckon would be for games like Final Fantasy series.
    Hey it's something to read when you're not able to play...

Anyway since it is PDF format only, it is nice for the OP to warn the other potential buyers.
    Read it closer... Its not even in .PDF format, but mine is almost half way there... Would of been done by now by Nicole Kidman is distracting me ... Days of Thunder... Now there's an Aussie to remember!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast