Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Campaign AI does not get free armies [now sticky]

The Creative Assembly Private Watcher's Avatar

Post The Campaign AI does not get free armies [now sticky]

There has recently been a lot of discussion about the possibility that the Campaign AI is spawning armies to increase the difficulty to the player.

To be clear, the Campaign AI does not spawn additional forces except under the following four circumstances:
    • The Ashikaga faction. To represent the idea that the Shogun could place a levy upon his subjects and to improve game play the Ashikaga gets some free units.
    • Rebellions, these troops are the result of a spontaneous (or incited) uprising.
    • Wako pirates, they are pirates and not subject to normal rules!
    • European Traders, the Black Ship.

Any other forces you encounter are the result of the AI's recruitment through normal channels.
    On harder difficulty levels the AI gets some (minor) recruitment bonuses that may allow it to field armies more quickly than the player.
    On easier difficulty levels the AI is penalised and you should be able to out produce it.

Besides normal troop recruitment the AI can also acquire forces through the normal defection and bribery mechanics.

Also note that the AI has a tendency to hide forces and that Ninjas and other agents are not 100% effective in revealing ambushing armies. Don't assume that because an agent can see some location that an army isn't there waiting to ambush.

I hope this clarifies things!

Senior Member Master and Commander GrudgeNL's Avatar

Nice, this should be a sticky. Although I think you forgot one. When one ( either the player or another AI Clan), liberates a Great Clan, doesn't this liberated Great Clan also starts with a full Stack army ? I am almost sure an AI clan liberated the Mori Clan and started with a full stack army. Or does this also stands for the 'Rebellion' ?
    Grudge's Mods

Senior Member Colonel Lucius Brutus's Avatar

Okay, good to get some CA answers on this.

I will admit, the hidden armies do frustrate me at times, it's good to know that the AI doesn't have to cheat to be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    There has recently been a lot of discussion about the possibility that the Campaign AI is spawning armies to increase the difficulty to the player.

To be clear, the Campaign AI does not spawn additional forces except under the following four circumstances:
    • The Ashikaga faction. To represent the idea that the Shogun could place a levy upon his subjects and to improve game play the Ashikaga gets some free units.
    • Rebellions, these troops are the result of a spontaneous (or incited) uprising.
    • Wako pirates, they are pirates and not subject to normal rules!
    • European Traders, the Black Ship.

Any other forces you encounter are the result of the AI's recruitment through normal channels.
    On harder difficulty levels the AI gets some (minor) recruitment bonuses that may allow it to field armies more quickly than the player.
    On easier difficulty levels the AI is penalised and you should be able to out produce it.

Besides normal troop recruitment the AI can also acquire forces through the normal defection and bribery mechanics.

Also note that the AI has a tendency to hide forces and that Ninjas and other agents are not 100% effective in revealing ambushing armies. Don't assume that because an agent can see some location that an army isn't there waiting to ambush.

I hope this clarifies things!
    It may be impossible to prove if the ai does spawn or does not spawn troops. Just like a saying a watermelon is blue inside until cut. Unless a developer says they do get free armies, then we can say 100% yes they AI get free armies.

However, with that said, it is widely reported:

1. After winning a big battle, suddenly the AI is capable of coming back with huge stacks when they just lost a few stacks in battle.
    2. (relating to point 1) after beating the AI stacks, and going to diplomacy screen. The strength of that faction is listed as weak. However, after one turn, they jump back to mighty or terrifying.
    3. AI comes up with stacks of experienced troops and experienced generals, ranging 4-6 stars. In early game when there could not be possible to even get that level then.

There are many more that do support the claim the AI gets free armies, and each and every one of these have to be disclaimed to be able to say 100% the AI does not get free armies. That said, we also cannot say 100% the AI does get free armies.

Based on my own experience, using the No CAI army spawn mod at twcenter, my personal opinion is the AI gets free armies.
    Last edited by Jerm; 03-30-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    It may be impossible to prove if the ai does spawn or does not spawn troops. Just like a saying a watermelon is blue inside until cut. Unless a developer says they do get free armies, then we can say 100% yes they AI get free armies.

1. After winning a big battle, suddenly the AI is capable of coming back with huge stacks when they just lost a few stacks in battle.
    2. (relating to point 1) after beating the AI stacks, and going to diplomacy screen. The strength of that faction is listed as weak. However, after one turn, they jump back to mighty or terrifying.
    3. AI comes up with stacks of experienced troops and experienced generals, ranging 4-6 stars. In early game when there could not be possible to even get that level then.

There are many more that do support the claim the AI gets free armies, and each and every one of these have to be disclaimed to be able to say 100% yyes the AI gets free armies. That said, we also cannot say 100% no the AI does not get free armies.

Based on my own experience, using the No CAI army spawn mod at twcenter, my personal opinion is the AI gets free armies.
    Dude, look at the OP's avatar.

He's from the Creative Assembly.

A dev.

Senior Member Master and Commander GrudgeNL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post

There are many more that do support the claim the AI gets free armies, and each and every one of these have to be disclaimed to be able to say 100% yyes the AI gets free armies. That said, we also cannot say 100% no the AI does not get free armies.

''Personal opinion''' ? how the heck can you have an opinion on that ? If CA already states they didn't gave the AI free armies, then the AI doesn't get free armies. It's simple as that.
    Grudge's Mods

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Brutus View Post

A dev.
    doesn't make make Jerm's points any less true

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    ''Personal opinion''' ? how the heck can you have an opinion on that ? If CA already states they didn't gave the AI free armies, then the AI doesn't get free armies. It's simple as that.
    I do not think that Jerm realized who the OP was, because he has one post only and we are used to seeing other devs with higher number posts around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Brutus View Post

A dev.
    My bad. That explains why they get armies out so quick.

My question will be then what does the mod do, as I definitely see the AI churn armies out much slower.

Senior Member Colonel

Why would he lie about this anyway?
    .. and on occasion, I play video games.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/videogamebanana

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast