Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [suggestion] Reward people for lost battles.

Junior Member Private

Good idea.

Senior Member Corporal

there is only a way to avoid leavers: someone drops? his opponent win the match. Easy and really fair. Sometime may happen that someone drop for incidental causes (blackout, ip problems, ecc ecc), but those happen one or twice and while this game doesn't penalize losses, i can't see any problem with this solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Khurt View Post
    there is only a way to avoid leavers: someone drops? his opponent win the match. Easy and really fair. Sometime may happen that someone drop for incidental causes (blackout, ip problems, ecc ecc), but those happen one or twice and while this game doesn't penalize losses, i can't see any problem with this solution.
    You cant see problem with this most obvious solution becouse you dont know that its hard for the game client to say if you lost connection to your opponent or if your opponent lost connection to you, since games are hosted on players' end, not on official CA servers.

And this is why we come up with suggestion of how to get rid of plug-pullers other way.

Senior Member Corporal

no, you're wrong.
    You can know who's the "dropper" via steam.
    Since this game use steam to arrange mp games, you can use it to check the game status on player's pc: if someone alt+f4 steam will detect who close the game. If someone simply turn off connection, then also steam will be turned off.

no, you're wrong.
    You can know who's the "dropper" via steam.
    Since this game use steam to arrange mp games, you can use it to check the game status on player's pc: if someone alt+f4 steam will detect who close the game. If someone simply turn off connection, then also steam will be turned off.
    what if someone close the ports and the opponent will get dropped if he is the host? Without dedicated CA servers you cant have solid anti-cheat here. So lets stop focusing on punishment and start focusing on rewarding.

Senior Member Corporal

Again: this game runs via steam. It get the connection to internet via steam. You have to disconnect steam to disconnect the game (without shutting it down, of course).
    In fact, actually the game shows you two different messages when you lost connection or when your opponent lost it.

Btw, configure ports is a quite complex procedure, that require much more skills than simply pressing alt+f4 or turning off your router.

Rewarding losses is just useless (and also stupid in my opinion). Some people drop just because they can't stand the losses, not because they are not rewarded.

And that's why i think the concept is also stupid:
    Bad behaviors have to be punished, not rewarded with a bonus gained doing what they are supposed to do.

Again: this game runs via steam. It get the connection to internet via steam. You have to disconnect steam to disconnect the game (without shutting it down, of course).
    In fact, actually the game shows you two different messages when you lost connection or when your opponent lost it.

Btw, configure ports is a quite complex procedure, that require much more skills than simply pressing alt+f4 or turning off your router.

Rewarding losses is just useless (and also stupid in my opinion). Some people drop just because they can't stand the losses, not because they are not rewarded.

And that's why i think the concept is also stupid:
    Bad behaviors have to be punished, not rewarded with a bonus gained doing what they are supposed to do.
    Noone is talking about rewarding bad behaviors. Read again. And no: most plug-pullers are not ragequiters - they are stats[inserts-word] - meaning they are just artificially trying to make their stats looks better.

Senior Member Corporal Von_Lipwig's Avatar

But if their stats start looking worse by purposely disconnecting when they're losing, the entire purpose of disconnecting is gone because it will still reflect badly on their stats.

I think there are just two major solutions: either get rid of the leaderboards completely or automatically give the person who disconnects first the loss (can be detected by Steam).

Senior Member Sergeant

Has anyone gathered some numbers on the amount/percentage of people who drops? Today I think maybe 60-70% of my opponents (the ones I defeated) dropped at the end. Maybe 90% of the high-rank players. I just think its annoying and confusing that people can be such cowards. Some of them didn't even drop well and I had to sit there for several minutes as the game writhed in death cramps giving tiny moments of movement once in a while.

Senior Member Lieutenant William_the _Chaotic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Filar View Post
    Hello folks.
    I would like to suggest easy way for developers to get rid of plug-pullers (at least vast majority)

Here is the solution:
    I would give 25% of victory's influence points gain, experience gain and 25% chance of getting clan token for every lost battle with duration over 15 minutes.

This way we get rid of a lot of plug-pullers because only die-hard stats-nolifes would keep artificially pumping their stats becouse of e-peen issues no matter if they loose rewards or not.

Reward always works better than punishment.

So lets reward people for staying in game and loosing with honor, instead of trying to find a way to punish leavers even tho they will always find some way of unhonorable, cheap cheating if they will want to.

edit:
    On top of that add in clan page window, member list's column: influence gained (and sort clan member list by this column), that will sum up the whole influelnce gained by clan member - so even when people will be fed up with experiennce and clan tokens they will still prefer to get bit of extra clan influence for loose than to get nothing.

Every human being have a need of being appreciated - it works also in games: When you in clan member list show only nick, rank and win/lose ratio, then the ones that crave such appreciation most in the computer game will do anythign to keep these stats best they can which results in plug-pullers activity everywhere - and that also starts chain reaction: even these who dont crave these appreciation that much will start doing so to avoid being seen as the most "inferior" ones - well, self-respecting players will not participate in such crazy, destructible race for appreciation in computer game, but big part of shogun 2 players will, and are.

\LOL guess who is running around the map ever time i lose
    There are benefits to being a noob. When you win, it's like Christmas all over again. It only happens once a year, and for some reason you never get sick of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast