Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to get rome total war to work on windows 7 64bit

Junior Member Private

Default how to get rome total war to work on windows 7 64bit

hi all not sure if anyone has already mentioned this but i was having trouble installing rome on windows 7 64bit. I found out that when you get asked where you would like to install rome (C:/Program files/Activision/rome-total war) if you just add (x86) after C:/Program files so should look like this C:/Program Files (x86)/Activision/Rome-Total War

hope this works for other people who had trouble getting RTW to work on windows 7 64bit

Have Fun

Moderator Master and Commander dge1's Avatar

I also went in and set the system to run the exe as Windows XP when I play it. And, also set to run as Administrator.
    Last edited by dge1; 08-30-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Junior Member Private

I have just discovered recently that if you right click your game icon and open the properties, you can set your settings on this particular game to run as Win XP3 compatible. I was not aware until I was goofin' around looking at the properties I don't remember why. But I seen the tab that shows compatibility and a bow to run the program as which ever Windows needed along with granting the game to run as admin. all the time. I am wtill learing how to play with Win7 so I hope everyone the best on their adventures also.

Junior Member Private

ive been trying to install the original file of rtw from disk to my new laptop pc running windows 7.
    unfortunatly when i try to install it, it gets stuck at c\..\data\sounds\voice2.dat
    ive tried doing that (x86) de4ny mentioned, but it hasnt worked.
    any help would be appreciated

Junior Member Private

I have the exact same problem as Lightways above, which is why i came here looking for help. Looking to go back and play this on my new PC, been a few years since I have...

thanks for the help

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by 04texag View Post
    I have the exact same problem as Lightways above, which is why i came here looking for help. Looking to go back and play this on my new PC, been a few years since I have...

thanks for the help
    well i think i figured it out.
    i think its to do with the disk being damaged.
    what i did was download the whole game via torrent. and mounted each "disk" via daemon tools. (pretty simple to do after 5 mins reading bout it on the web)
    however, ! ive now go further error messages on disk 3 and still havent installed it. ( please note im just throwing ideas out here)

ive got one last plan which is to use disk 1 and 2 of the download and disk 3 of the original.
    if it works yay
    if not ill let yall know.

IF ANY ONE DOES FIGURE IT OUT CAN U PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    much appreciated

Junior Member Private

It works fine on my Win 7 64-bit laptop. But I notice Win 7 likes to store save files in a weird location:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\saves
    It did that for a while on my Win 7 32-bit desktop, but later returned to storing them in the "saves" folder in the RTW installation folder.

Junior Member Private

hey guys . you must need instal patch 1.5

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by John Gerhard View Post
    It works fine on my Win 7 64-bit laptop. But I notice Win 7 likes to store save files in a weird location:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\saves
    It did that for a while on my Win 7 32-bit desktop, but later returned to storing them in the "saves" folder in the RTW installation folder.
    Thanks John Your information saved me a lot of time searching for my saved games and screenshots
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara

+ Reply to Thread