Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchlock + Rapid Volley is stupid.

Junior Member Private

Thumbs down Matchlock + Rapid Volley is stupid.

Its just dumb, matchlock are already the most powerful unit in the game because it ignore's armor, but then you give them insta-reload with rapid volley. Turns the game into a cheese fest, where scrubs camp hills with their rapid volley matchlock. Its a joke.

What I don't get is that we had ETW and NTW and people still didn't get enough of gunpowder units and battles? I remember jumping up and down for 10 minutes, I was that much happy, when I saw that the next TW is sword/bow/spear/cavalry game. I haven't as much as scrolled down in the Army screen to matchlocks and siege units since i got the game. (and I have played over 200 battles in multiplayer)

Yeah, I've honestly been getting annoyed by pure matchlock armies. I've beaten them before, but I'm starting to come across a lot of high leveled people that use them because it's really simple to do and really powerful. It's a game, but they didn't even field pure gun armies back then in Japan.
    Last edited by Derpus; 04-28-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major TheDuffman's Avatar

Well, I was struggling to decide what to give my matchlock ashigaru, ranked fire, or rapid reload. I think I know now. Thanks guys
    Interesting Signature.

If you disagree with the above comment, your lying, because your still reading.

Senior Member Colonel IncubusDragon's Avatar
    Behind Enemy Lines... ...a Scotsman in London

I'm all for a cap at level 6... Level 6 Ashigaru with rapid fire is a good representation of a veteran unit... when ranking-up beyond that, they start taking on god-like qualities - higher levels start producing cartoon battles.
    Disorder arises from order, Cowardice arises from courage, Weakness arises from strength - Sun Tzu
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    Click me for Shogun 2 Custom Maps

I dont think ive ever used a matchlock unit in a battle, i dont agree with them. Imba imo. Im always the one who has 2 charge as i always play against campers and charging into 4 matchlock units is a joke... Nerf please?
    - SatcH

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Senior Member Corporal

matchlock are not op... they just need a cap to avoid people spamming them. 4 units are enough.

they are extremly op, one matchlock unit with rapid volley can destroy several units before u even reach them now take 3 of em super veteranced destroying a whole melee army aslong as hes archers destroys urs, give them a min of 5 sec reload atleast that would balance, them spraying an army to pieces is just overpowered, they deal more morale damage and casualties then a mangonel unless u put all ur units at the exact same spott and the mongonel hits ur entire army.

matchlocks are a real problem imo

if anyone has ever played against monk match lvl 5 and above they will know that they fire like machine guns. All you have to do is bring really strong bow and strong cav and you're onto a virtually impregnable army. You can't charge with cav because good players will cover well. Bow wont work because again good players will bring enough to counter yrs. If you try charging, well put it this way, i charged 4 nag sam all with armour upgrade against 2 lvl match. They didnt even get close.

The reload speed and accuracy really need to be nerfed. And the special abilities should be removed. Matchlocks at their base rate were fine. LvLd up they are just stupid.

Really hope CA do something as it forces the same army compositions and tactics. Which is really sad as this game should allow for multiple playing styles.

increase their cost... make matchlock ashigaru cost 700koku (guns themselfs costs more than peasants), samurai 1000, monk 1500.

I was trying to play "bushido way", withotu using dishonorable gunpowder weapons, but in current situation its like having a death wish. Matchlocks in the forest are just too deadly. At least give archers possbility to "attack ground" so we can fire some arrows on them BEFORE we get in their range.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast