Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No MSAA

Member Lance Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Kintano View Post
    It says that MSAA is only available for shader version 4.1 and 5, which is pretty silly, since as far as I know, it should work with 4 as well.

Could be wrong though.
    Nope. You're exactly right. And they were making shader model 4.0 cards as early as 2 years ago. if you bought one of those, then you will never get MSAA unless you upgrade. enjoy looking at vast fields of jaggy ashigaru spears.

but there's good news! those of us with shader model 5.0 cards can enjoy shadows that look 5% better.
    Last edited by TobyTheRobot; 05-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Junior Member Private

aye, wont let me select shader model 4.1 or 5 so i cant go for MSAA :/
    strange though... i admit my gfx card isnt one of the latest, but it can run the game on full ultra settings on 1920x1080 very well, only thing i want is this **** MSAA and this game will be near perfect for me >

What's even weirder is, my card does support it and i tried both MSAA x8 and MLAA on shader model 5 and i dont see any difference?
    It's still as jaggy as without AA

Member Lance Corporal TheCuchulainn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post
    What's even weirder is, my card does support it and i tried both MSAA x8 and MLAA on shader model 5 and i dont see any difference?
    It's still as jaggy as without AA
    Same here. I get shader model 4.1 and crank up the MSAA as high as i can and all it does is lag my game. If there is a difference it sure as heck aint worth the lag. What i was looking forward to was the water. There was a video i saw on Youtube awhile ago with some british guy talking about the game and the water looked as real as i have ever seen in a game. Thats what I wanted from this patch but no luck
    Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendet frangitur!

Member Private

Wow, they havent configured cards properly

Basically I set everything sm5, ultra, msaa and click the tick, game crashes and my gfx.log looks like this....

Downgrading, Over budget by 715 MB
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 3
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 2
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 1
    Disabled Anti-Aliasing
    Disabled Depth of Field
    Downgraded Shadows to 3
    Downgraded Shadows to 2
    Disabled HDR
    Downgraded Sky Options to 2
    Downgraded Water Details to 2
    Disabled Distortion
    Downgraded Texture Quality to 2

LOL! 715MB overbudget at the menu screen. My card had 756MB fgxRam is dx11 capable and runs games twice as graphically complex as this with relative ease.

This on the main menu screen without even playing a battle or campaign. Useless QA process, this overbudget thing was present before patch. A lots of cards are working ok but a fair few models have been completely neglected or wrongly configured. My directx11 card seems to be one of them.
    Last edited by Jace11; 05-09-2011 at 08:52 PM.

we were discussing this at twc too.

Try turning your textures on high instead of ultra, there seems to be some conflict with ultra textures and AA.
    Last edited by Yoram777; 05-09-2011 at 10:37 PM.

it says it. correct.technically i dont see a good reason for it. if you have the possibility try mlaa for better visual quality at lower costs compared to MS(AA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jace11 View Post
    Wow, they havent configured cards properly

Basically I set everything sm5, ultra, msaa and click the tick, game crashes and my gfx.log looks like this....

Downgrading, Over budget by 715 MB
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 3
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 2
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 1
    Disabled Anti-Aliasing
    Disabled Depth of Field
    Downgraded Shadows to 3
    Downgraded Shadows to 2
    Disabled HDR
    Downgraded Sky Options to 2
    Downgraded Water Details to 2
    Disabled Distortion
    Downgraded Texture Quality to 2

LOL! 715MB overbudget at the menu screen. My card had 756MB fgxRam is dx11 capable and runs games twice as graphically complex as this with relative ease.

This on the main menu screen without even playing a battle or campaign. Useless QA process, this overbudget thing was present before patch. A lots of cards are working ok but a fair few models have been completely neglected or wrongly configured. My directx11 card seems to be one of them.
    this might be wrong view: the over bugdet belongs to over budgeting the graphics ram in the benchmark mode, and the suggestions of the game to correct this, preventing lags. in other case he would have to order your ordinary ram to process textures, nothings faster than gpu ram atm (DDR5).

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

Just go into the configuration file and edit the video ram setting: enter 2147483648 (that's 2GB). That did the trick for my GTX560. Running MLAA and everything @ultra + all special effects (just DOF on low, cause it looks better that way imho). Benchmark with game settings shows about 40FPS (560 is overclocked).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2