Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom Resolution?

Senior Member Corporal

Default Custom Resolution?

Hey guys!
    is there a way to set a custom rez in thist game?
    i have hooked up my pc to a lcd tv and i need a rez of 1202x670. i tried to edit the preferences script but after setting the rez to 1202x670 the game itself is still being displayed at 720.

Tech-Hero. Master and Commander Iscaran's Avatar

I suppose such an odd resolution as 1202x670 is not supported directly.

BUT you can workaround by letting the graphics driver scale to this resolution if you can set it as your desktop resolution and select a lower resolution in game...to not loose image sharpness though you should use "centered timings" (on AMD cards) or advanced timings I think on nVidia cards.

Also see section about image scaling:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_7.html

Mind if I ask why you would need such an strange resolution ?!? Never seen a display sold with that either...so far.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.

Senior Member Corporal

Like i said, i'm using a 40inch lcd tv as a monitor and the strange resolution results from resizing the desktop with nvidia control panel. so 1202x670 is my standard desktop rez and i had no problems with most games. even the older total war games had the option to select my desktop rez. so if i run shogun 2 the borders are cut off.

Tech-Hero. Master and Commander Iscaran's Avatar

Ah ok ....the problem likely is that you do not meet the games minimum resolution in y-direction.

1024x768 minimum screen resolution (see the min reqs.)

So the lowest screen resolution STW2 provides is 1024x768 - since your 670 resolution is lower than that neither the game nor the graphics driver can "scale" down to fit 670 - therefore the screen is cut off.

And even if you select a desktop resolution of 800x600 ((or force such a low resolution) the game will still load in 1024x768 at a minimum, causing 224x98 pixels to be cut off.

AFAIK There is no way to avoid this problem apart getting a TV screen with a better resolution.
    Last edited by Iscaran; 05-24-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.

Moderator Master and Commander Hardwaremaster's Avatar

Are you absolutely sure that your Screen is a 40 Inch? That is a very unusual resolution.. Can you tell me your TV's model and type?
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    MikeB said: "Little horses are not epic. They are little"

"True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR3 2133mhz) (I7 5980E OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSD in RAID0+2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles

Senior Member Colonel SnoopyTRB's Avatar

1202x670 is a TV using underscan/overscan. While irritating it's not unheard of. That's why I hate using TV's for a computer screen, they are inflexible it terms of the resolutions they can handle.

Junior Member Private

I'm having similar issues with my own TV monitor. My custom desktop size is 1768 x 992 (through Nvidia control panel) and again works with every other game I have played including those in the total war series. I simply can't get the option for this resolution to appear in the options menu and am forced to display the game either in 1024 x 768 or to select windowed mode which doesn't display well on my screen at all.

+ Reply to Thread