Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My strangest and smallest victory.

Senior Member Sergeant Scorepio's Avatar

Default My strangest and smallest victory.

My enemy and I had both one unit left fighting each other. They both routed at the same time. I got the victory.
    Never saw it before.
    Attached Images

Moderator Master and Commander DenmarkRules's Avatar

Actually I think Pyrrhic victory is named after someone. Got the story long time ago.
    I only got it once too, but that was in a multiplayer battle where I totally pwned my opponent

Senior Member Sergeant Scorepio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DenmarkRules View Post
    Actually I think Pyrrhic victory is named after someone. Got the story long time ago.
    I only got it once too, but that was in a multiplayer battle where I totally pwned my opponent
    It's named after Pyrrhus of Epirus.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major Stukaboy2's Avatar

strange...ive had one unit on both sides fighting each other, both routing at same time, and i didn't get that...*sobs*

Junior Member Private

Denmarkrules i kinda dont believe ya
    it means a victory but with a devastating cost to you.
    Last edited by yazzazin; 09-16-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stukaboy2 View Post
    strange...ive had one unit on both sides fighting each other, both routing at same time, and i didn't get that...*sobs*
    20 units vs 20 units, all of the units had routed except for my one unit of howitzer and their one unit of horse cannon. Mine won the day and still I got heroic victory. There's gotta be some other catch to getting Pyrrhic victory!

Senior Member Major Jack Davidson's Avatar

Yeah, I've had a few Pyrrhic Victories...I actually laughed the first time I saw it come up...heheh. Usually I get them, if I have one of my stacks supporting an allied force. If the allied stack/city is attacked by a superior enemy force and I estimate the chances of winning are reasonable, I will commit to reinforce, watch the battle unfold, usually see the intitial allied force start to route, and then my army will enter the battlefield to fight the remaining enemy forces. If I go on to win the battle I will often get the Pyrrhic Victory, not so much because my own forces suffered casualties but because my ally sustained great loss in the first phase.

Yep, as Scorepio said, the term derives from King Pyrrhus of Epirus and his battles with the Romans. Generally it means a victory that comes at a great cost, a cost that the victor can ill afford. During The Pyrrhic War, although heavy casualties were sustained on both sides, Pyrrhus the victor could not easily replace his losses, whereas the Romans could.

Cheers

Moderator Master and Commander DenmarkRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yazzazin View Post
    Denmarkrules i kinda dont believe ya
    it means a victory but with a devastating cost to you.
    Well that's true. It was a 2vs2 and my team won big, but I only had a few units left but my teammate almost a full army.

+ Reply to Thread