Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Kingdoms exe not found" please HELP!! probs with the third age mod!

Junior Member Private

Default "Kingdoms exe not found" please HELP!! probs with the third age mod!

ok guys hopefully someone on here can help me out because im pulling my hair out over this and i will not be defeated!

Question: Why is it when i try to run the third age mod an error box pops up and says "kingdoms exe not found make sure the name is typed correctly and try again" and how do i fix it so i can play this awesome looking mod!!??

Details:
    1.I have medieval total war 2 downloaded and installed with all the updates through steam.
    2.I have kingdoms installed through the boxed version and i have the patch for it and everything runs and plays just fine.
    3.i have both part one and part two of TATW downloaded and installed in the folders that was created by default.
    4.i have windows 7
    5.both the desktop shortcut for TATW and the bat. file for TATW deliver me the same error message.

I hope i provided enough info for you guys to help me i sure would apprieciate it thanks a ton in advance!!!!

Senior Member Colonel SnoopyTRB's Avatar

Ok, where exactly is the kingdoms expansion installed?
    You said you had the original game on steam right?
    Where exactly did the mod install?
    What are the contents of the TATW .bat file? Right click and click edit to open it and see whats inside.

Junior Member Private

first of all thank you very much for responding!

ok, yes mediaval 2 was downloaded through steam, i am not sure how to find where kingdoms is installed in but TATW is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age" and the contents are of that fold are

data
    icon
    TATW.cfg
    the third age bat file
    unit stats table

if i right click the bat file and try to open it, it brings up that error message

hope this helps thank you!

ok, well we need to figure out where that kingdoms.exe file is. It's not in the medieval II total war folder is it? Go look in this folder as well.

C:\program files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\(look for the Medieval game in the list) See if the kingdoms.exe is in one of those folders.

Junior Member Private

ok in the folder Program files(x86).steam.steamApps.common.medieval ii total war

i did find a file titled kingdoms and it has the little purple medieval helmet icon next to it and under type of file it says it is an application, so im assuming this is kingdoms.exe considering i cant find it anywhere else.

P.S i dont know if it helps or is even relevant but if i double click the kingdoms file it pulls up a message saying i have the wrong disk inserted.

thanks a lot for helping me out by the way

Junior Member Private

Default Update!

so just by playing around by copying and pasting and i moved several files to the programfiles(x86)/sega/medieval 2 total war

binkw32.dll
    granny2.dll
    kingdoms.exe
    mss32.dll

these were all the files that would show up in an error message saying they didnt exist when i would double click the third age shortcut. It then said it couldnt find the kingdoms disk so i put that in and i thought it was going to work UNTIL.......it said medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now close......i read somewhere that reinstalling the patch for kingdoms might help so im doing that now.

update: reinstalling patch did not work
    Last edited by kaj23; 06-03-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Sorry for the delay in my response!

Go ahead and copy the enitre mods folder from it's current location in the medieval II folder in the program files location and paste it into the medieval II folder in the steam folder. Do you understand what I'm asking? Let me know if I am not clear enough.

Then try and run the mod again.

Junior Member Private

oh no problem you are being very helpful.

i believe i understood you correctly so i think i did what you told me and i tried to launch the mod again and it actually gets to a medieval 2 loading screen but just when i though it was going to work the whole loading screen goes black and shrinks to a smaller window and a little dialog box pops up with the title medieval total war 2 with no dialoge in the actual box just the option to click ok. When i click ok the whole program exits and im back at my desktop....... almost had it that time.

thanks again!

Ok. Let me make sure I understand. You have medieval II from steam, you bought the kingdom's expansion at retail and installed from a disc correct? Isn't there a certain patch version that this mod is supposed to work with? Have you made sure that patch is installed and not a newer one?

Final thought for now. What happens when you try to run the kingdoms.exe by itself? does it still not work?

Junior Member Private

Hey, you probably already figured out how to play Third Age Total War, but I just want to say that just in case a person comes along and looks at this post, and wonders what the heck to do. Well, how I figured it out is that the Third Age Total War (TATW) automatically downloads to c:/users/(username)/programfilesx86/SEGA/Medieval Total War II/mods, thus the Cannot find Kingdom.exe problem. There SHOULD BE a part on the installer that says, do you have installed Medieval Total War II through Steam or not. To fix the problem, you copy (in case you lose it) the TATW to your MTWII mods file which is under c:/users/(username)/programfilesx86/steam/steamapps/Medieval Total War II/mods. To get MTWII to recognize it, you cut and paste your LEAST favorite campaign ( I don't really like the Teutons' campaign so I cut that out) then rename the Third Age Total War file to EXACTLY what the campaign's file name was. Then, launch MTWII game and when you click play, select the campaign that you cut away and renamed the TATW file to. That should help you, or any other person out,
    Last edited by vandben000; 03-19-2012 at 01:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast