Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Capturing the Black Ship

Member Lance Corporal Warrior2011's Avatar

Default Capturing the Black Ship

How do you capture the black ship?

I tried full battle but when I think I'm winning my ships suddenly flee.

I tried autoresolve but that doesn't cpature the ship?

I did it. I captured the Black Ship.

Senior Member Colonel

Have two full fleets of bow ships waiting at the tip of the western peninsula of Iyo province. When the Black Ship appears send your two fleets to intercept, either north or south. Attack with a single stack and auto resolve - you will lose.

Quick save, choose 5 of the other stack, attack and auto-resolve.

You either lose, win and capture the Black Ship, or win and sink the Black Ship. If you lose, quick load, send six and try again. If you win and sink, quick load and send four and try again.

Rinse and repeat.

After playing Napoleon the naval battles in this game are terribly disappointing, not because they are poorly done, but because the nature of naval warfare is not to my liking. The only time I don't auto-resolve is when I am commanding the Black Ship or when the arbitrary nature of auto-resolve forces me to preserve those ships that are precious to me.

Senior Member Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior2011 View Post
    I did it. I captured the Black Ship.
    Congrats. Time to pwn.

Senior Member Major-General Crazy Steve's Avatar

If you want to capture it when it's on low strength, you should just quick the save the battle and keep auto-resolving. You'll get it eventually and it's quicker than fighting the battle yourself, since then the Black Ship often flees.

Junior Member Private

I would go auto solve.You need 2 stacks of ships. 1st stack range attack strong ships to soft it up to at least 50% canon and marine. 2nd stack then move in, using boarding/marine strong ships. this is to avoid sinking it. 50%chance to capture it. If fail, reload, so save before hand is a must.

I had 7 heavy bunes and 1 cannon bune.

I got my general bune to attempt to board the the ship while the rest of my ship attacked the rear of the ship out sight of the black ship cannons.

The boarding bune failed and surrendered to the enemy however for some reason the black ship could not pull away from the surrendered bune. Maybe its a bug.

Senior Member Field-Marshall andferpa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior2011 View Post
    I had 7 heavy bunes and 1 cannon bune.

I got my general bune to attempt to board the the ship while the rest of my ship attacked the rear of the ship out sight of the black ship cannons.

The boarding bune failed and surrendered to the enemy however for some reason the black ship could not pull away from the surrendered bune. Maybe its a bug.
    That bug might be exploitable, if you could get a meatshield heavy bune to absorb the fire, plus another ship behind to board it, you could let you r boarding ship get them stuck and get free potshots, even without a cannon bune. Maybe using an ataka bune or the nihon maru.
    Andokides
    All war is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu
    A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    Alexander the Great
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
    William Shakespeare.

Moderator Master and Commander daelin4's Avatar

One time, when I captured it with nothing but sengoku/ medium bune and bow kobaya (no fire arrows researched at the time), the dead or surrendered husks prevented the Black Ship from shooting at the remnants of my fleet. I kept forcing boarding actions to prevent it from firing, while my bunes kept using warcry. apparently the crew are terrible at melee, and my sengoku bune could carve out 150 men before routing. soon enough it surrendered.

The Black Ship doesn't surrender when it catches fire; after the battle it just runs away. I wasn't counting on battlefield honour amongst my seaborne samurai when they picked up the crew and put them back so they can blast my fleet to bits again the next time.
    Total War Terms and Conditions
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    Total War: ROME II Political Guide
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code][code] in your post.

Senior Member Major wealthyempire's Avatar

It seems that I usually see the black ship about 10 years into it. Usually off the coast of Kyushu. Has anyone confirmed when it appears or is it random? I have 2 nanban trade ships waiting for it off the coast of Nagato. I'll use the tactic I've done before which is to board it with one and fire cannons at it with the other.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast