Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Starting Faction?

Default Best Starting Faction?

My M2TW that i ordered a few days ago has arrived in the mail today ! Right now it is installing. Once it is finished installing I'm going to have to make a choice that i have been pondering on for awhile now. What in your opinion is the best faction out of the five that you begin with? I was originally going to do a Holy Roman Empire campaign but it seems that you are surrounded by enemies. (I'm new to the series so i don't want to get pummeled for the first time ). England seems easier, since you are on an island. France also looks good. What faction did everybody else use for their first campaign?

Junior Member Private Tarquinius's Avatar

England. England. England.

Its not just the best faction in game, its the best faction IRL too.

(note: for the purposes of this boast I consider the US and Commonwealth to be extensions of Anglo-Saxon culture)

As you say HRE is difficult because you'll be attacked right from the start. Venetians are fun but they have the same issue as HRE. France is a powerful faction, but.....well they're French. Spain has ****py units, but that can make the game fun too. They're pretty isolated as well, so you do get some of the same benefits as England, but not the same extent.
    Last edited by Tarquinius; 07-26-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Coulda' swore I joined this forum like 5 years ago.

England is a good starting faction. In real life it was an absolutely awful place. Just read or watch Pillars of the Earth. Also, the Movies about Henry VIII werent bad either. Pretty much up until the time of Newton it was fairly backward. The game cant take all of these power struggles into account either and neither the rampant civil wars that were quite common in England.
    For the appeasers back in the old country, Casa del Carthage was dangerously out of control!

I started an English campaign. I am loving their units. I've taken the rebel settlements in Wales and Ireland. Hopefully France holds off for awhile because I'm about to declare war on Scotland. After this campaign I'll try out France and Spain. Thanks for the advice guys!

Senior Member General The Weaver's Avatar

Denmark is also a good starting faction, as it's sort of out of the way. Grab Sweden and Norway early on, and whatever rebel German provinces you can lay your hands on, and then prepare yourself for the long war with the Holy Roman Empire.

Junior Member Private Tarquinius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colfax View Post
    England is a good starting faction. In real life it was an absolutely awful place. Just read or watch Pillars of the Earth. Also, the Movies about Henry VIII werent bad either. Pretty much up until the time of Newton it was fairly backward. The game cant take all of these power struggles into account either and neither the rampant civil wars that were quite common in England.
    Only by today's standards. For the time it was much better place for the common man than France, Germany, Spain and the civil wars weren't as frequent as the internal fighting of the German Petty kingdoms or the French civil war that lasted almost 200 years. Eastern Europe was so depopulated by the Mongols they invited thousands of Germans and Jews in. I'd say only Italy and Switzerland were better places to live.

Basically, life sucked all over in the middle ages unless you were nobility and even then it was still pretty bad.

Back on topic: For a second play through, try one of the Eastern European factions. It can be a lot of fun using horse archer dominated armies.
    Coulda' swore I joined this forum like 5 years ago.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major LouThunders's Avatar

On my first playthrough I start with Venice. Don't ask me why, I just have a fetish for Italian city-states and lesser powers in strategy games. And maybe because that your main objective doesn't involve kicking the pope out of his home and make every Catholic faction hate you.
    Dealer in THUNDER and death! (Sorry Nappy!)

Senior Member General King Rufus's Avatar

Yeah England is the best to start with. And one of my favourite factions, with great units, starting position and good generals =). There starting position is a very good one and very interesting, you'll have a terribly fun campaign with them . You will never imagine where you'll end up .

Check out the name of William the Conqueror's son, and you will find he has my forum name . He was my best general ever (or maybe just my favourite ).
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity

Check out the name of William the Conqueror's son, and you will find he has my forum name . He was my best general ever (or maybe just my favourite ).

So far he is my best general also . He took all of the rebel settlements in Wales and Ireland and he also took Scotland. Now he isn't Prince Rufus though... he is now King Rufus

Senior Member General King Rufus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walker9 View Post
    So far he is my best general also . He took all of the rebel settlements in Wales and Ireland and he also took Scotland. Now he isn't Prince Rufus though... he is now King Rufus
    Haha awesome . He also conquered those areas for me . Took him down to France afterwards I believe. I piety that in the Stainless Steel mod he is already dead when the campaign starts... ¬¬

King Rufus... he just... he plainly is... he's just awesome .
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast