Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Failed to find Steam"

Junior Member Private

Default "Failed to find Steam"

I have Rome: Total War Gold Edition on Steam, I have reinstalled it several times but I still get this Application Error whenever I try to start BI or RTW: "Failed to find Steam". I have searched on google and tried to figure out how to make it work. I am trying to play vanilla RTW and that's not possible, when I download an RTW mod and I change the "launch options" to run that mod in properties of RTW on Steam then I am able to run that mod and it all works. But if I then remove the launch options (which is supposed to be empty when you want to play without mods) then I get the "Failed to find Steam" error.

I have verified integrity of game cache several times aswell, without anything happening.

I've been thinking of the option to install a very small mod with minimal changes but so far I've been unfortunate and only found mods that don't need a new "launch options" but uses the old .exe, then I encounter the same problem. I have tried Extended greek mod but it changes too much (I prefer vanilla over it) and with that mod it worked because I had to change the launch options to fit that mod.

Banned Private

Hmmm. Thats a toughie. Have you tried screaming into a pillow?

Moderator Master and Commander Billy Ruffian's Avatar

Have you tried to launch from the Steam Library?
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ruffian View Post
    Have you tried to launch from the Steam Library?
    Yes I have.

Pretty annoying to have whole RTW messed up even when I reinstall it, no way I can play RTW this way unless I buy box version or from gamersgate or somewhere.

Junior Member Private

have you tried renaming the rome tw application to launcher?

Moderator Master and Commander Billy Ruffian's Avatar

Do you have other games that do launch correctly in Steam?
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by Wabbajeck View Post
    have you tried renaming the rome tw application to launcher?
    Nothing changed when I tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ruffian View Post
    Do you have other games that do launch correctly in Steam?
    Every other game is ok.

Administrator Master and Commander AlJabberwock's Avatar

Failed to find Steam is almost always a Steam installer file or files gone missing or corrupted. Occassionally it is something else in the Steam files, but in either case the fix to that is found here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7096-TFLV-2699
    "Do what I mean, not what I say!"
    ~Marvin Dodd

Forum Rules

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by AlJabberwock View Post
    Failed to find Steam is almost always a Steam installer file or files gone missing or corrupted. Occassionally it is something else in the Steam files, but in either case the fix to that is found here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7096-TFLV-2699
    I got a new error by just running Steam after I had done that, but when I ran Steam again it would start. However I still got the same error with RTW... (Failed to find Steam), I'll probably try to reinstall Steam in case I get really hungry to play RTW, but I don't want all games saves to be destroyed (if they are when you reinstall Steam), because I've spent so much time on stuff like Hearts of Iron etc.

Thanks for the help though! I've searched a lot on the web and never encountered a solution similar to that one.

Junior Member Private

Default i also have this problem "failed to find steam"

i keep getting the "failed to find steam" error when i try to launch rome total war or barbarian invasion and i have no mods and i dont want it either. I sent a ticket to the steam support but so far no answer so anyone encountered a solution for this? or is there anyway to get my money back from buying a game that is't working?

+ Reply to Thread