Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flickering in-game; causes graphics problems [AMD multi-GPU driver problem, Profiles]

Junior Member Private

Default Flickering in-game; causes graphics problems [AMD multi-GPU driver problem, Profiles]

Hokay; so I had the problem that on the main battle screen some elements flicker and don't render correctly; for example the "mount fuji" end-of-season buttom in the bottom right isn't rendered at all (just a hole where the mountain icon would be, occasionally some horizontal lines) - of the general portraits in the bottom left when clicking on an army or settlement can be replaced by other graphical elements (for example the "way of the sword / way of chi" icons) - or the background of the "advisor" geisha flickers.

I've tried numerous ways to fix it (more on this later) with no luck.

I'm using a Radeon HD6990, and I've tried the following with no progress whatsoever:
    1. Installing latest drivers (both catalyst - up to 11.7 now; and the south-bridge).
    2. Verifying the game cache in steam (finds 4 files that it needs to reacquire, but doesn't do anything with them)
    3. Changing all of the in-game graphics settings (it still happens no matter what graphics quality I set, low, medium, ultra-high, whatever - all the same problem. Changed around all the settings in there, no joy).
    4. Changing all of the catalyst global settings (turning on different levels of AA, turning on Morphising AA, setting AA quality to super-sample, turning of AMD optimised tesselation, setting AMD tesselation to application controlled, turn that off again, etc etc,)
    5. Disabling Avast's 8 anti-viral shields.
    6. Closing Asus's Evo Turbo unlocker and EPU power management - for some reason Shogun 2 was causing their UIs to be restored in the background; but even with them fully exitted, same problem arises.

And a few other things too.

Not sure what is left to try. One other interesting symptom is that the "flickering" goes from being sporadic and a generally mess to very quick even when I turn on Vsync. This makes me think that for some reason the game and the display hardware (the radeon and / or the monitor) aren't synching up properly, or that they're not applying the correct refresh rate (native at 85hz; would be happy to run it at 75hz).

Is there a way to force the game to refresh at 75hz to eliminate this as a possible cause?
    Last edited by Ace42; 07-31-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Tech-Hero. Master and Commander Iscaran's Avatar

AFAIK. It is a common known problem with the crossfire profiles. Same happens in Crysis2. You need to tell the AMD driver crew about it.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.

Technical Moderator General lordmaximus77's Avatar

Did you happen to only have Catalyst 11.7 or 11.8 Preview installed?

I've had very similar issues with my 6970 Crossfire setup with those drivers. Reverting back to Catalyst 11.6 (with 11.6 CAP2) solved the issue for me.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Junior Member Private

11.7 + cap, you may have hit the problem square on, sounds plausible, as I didn't get to try the game when I was running 11.6. Might test it out when I feel like going through rigmarole of a revert.

Member Private

I have 11,7. Disabled crossfire and everything seems good again. Close to everything with letters and icons was flickering. End turn see through, gong gong for starting matches etc. I suppose roll back on catalyst is the only option. If anyone has other solutions, tips. .
    Last edited by Arnebjarne; 08-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Junior Member Private

Yah, I reverted to 11.6 and it works a treat; clearly a problem with crossfire in the later driver versions. Hopefully it will be fixed in either 11.8 final, or 11.9.

Junior Member Private

Default Can sort of confirm (weeks after the fact)

3:00AM: Played Shogun 2; no issues (11.6)
    3:30AM: Downloaded & Installed 11.7
    4:00AM: Played Shogun 2 again
    4:01AM: Cried due to flickering.

I also have a crossfire setup. (6970x2)

Junior Member Private

11.8 works fine for me.

Junior Member Private

I can confirm that the new 11.7 and 11.8 catalyst drivers cause the game to become nearly unplayable. These drivers cause the HUD and other various elements such as the sprites that hover over cities and armies to flicker and change their textures to random ones.

This is the same sort of glitch I had with Empire with this same setup prior to the 11.6 release. The 11.6 drivers plus the newer profiles cleared up the problem with Empire for me by the way. This is caused by having multiple GPUs though, so those of you who aren't having problems obviously are only using one video card.

Anyway, I'm sitting on 11.6 until AMD gets their act together.

Junior Member Private

11.7 was a problem, 11.8 (not preview!) works fine for me. And yes, I am most definitely using a cross-fire setup. Did you install 11.8's CAP2?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast