Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Shogun 2 ?

Junior Member Private

Default Why Shogun 2 ?

As much as I am a great fan of all Total war games I keep asking myself why after releasing one game in next time period SEGA company always release one old game as new (or part two or whatever). This has happened with Total War Medieval and now with Shogun. To my opinion, this is just greed for easy money. Logically, it is much easier to improve existing code then to write a new one for same money. Don't get me wrong here, I will, probably, buy TW: Shogun 2 but I will be much happier to buy TW: American Civil War or TW: First World War.

Senior Member Brigadier Elyrioth's Avatar

Well Civil War would be too small to be a game on itself. I certainly hope we never see a WWI TW. Like a lot of fans.
    I think the 10 years since the release of STW has a lot to do with it. I think CA are also going to move back in time a bit for the new couple of releases.

And top claim it is for greed is kinda silly. They are not going to use code from Shogun, nor are the releasing a old game as new. S1 is too old to be of any use in this process, this will be a brand new game based only the theme will be the same. Sequels are normal an expected. You can be guarenteed there will be a Rome 2 at some point too.
    A lot of TW fans want Shogun 2, probalby far more than WW1 anyway, and that is why they are doing it.

Senior Member Lieutenant Kinjo-migrated's Avatar

Honestly this is the best move CA could have made design wise imo, most players wanted to return back to some melee action one way or another the polls clearly showed that. The timing is also good, what better way to celebrate a 10 year anniversary then to make a squeal to a game that started the entire series? and finally the warscape engine is prime for a feudal Japan setting with some rudimentary gun powder weapons and naval warfare.

Senior Member Master and Commander Clover's Avatar

I really never liked it when people say companies do things because of greed, it's almost always totally unfair..

A lot of people (including myself) have wanted to see STW remade for a long time, and i really did not like my beloved TW series get lost in the gunpowder era for two games- it broke my heart!

To be honest, i love the civil war- i think it has so many twists in it- but it has no place in TW, do you know how lame the combat would be? Units shooting 200 yards away with great accuracy, rifles that shot 8 times and took only 30 seconds to reload. If you think ETW's combat was short and un-fun just think of what it would be like if combat only took half the time, and with only at the most 4 factions ( CSA, USA, and Native Americans who fought on both sides)

WW1 would just be ridiculously fast paced, it was very common for entire platoons to be wiped out in less than a minute. Really how fun would that be? Players would turtle worse than they did in RTW.. and then you have to think how to implement units like tanks, planes, long range artillery, trenches, gas, MGs, and other weapons that are radically different to anything that has been done.

WW1 politics suit the TW series, but the actual battles and campaign map would not.
    Last edited by Clover; 07-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Senior Member General luckylimburger's Avatar

It doesn't matter if it's Rome or Shogun II as long as it really feels like a Total war, I'll enjoy it. It looks like they'll keep making Total Wars so they'll probably make a Rome II at some point in the future (and maybe a Civil War).
    Last edited by luckylimburger; 07-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Junior Member Private

Well, opinions about the best game in Total War serial are very subjective. To my opinion the best game in TW serial is Napoleon Total War. I prefer gunpowder over swords and arrows with all do respect for Shogun, Medieval and Rome games. Empire Total War is also great game but major problem are 3 maps in campaign. To my opinion, TW serial has evolved to next, higher and better level with gunpowder era and with WWI and WWII games will evolve to next, better level. TW: American civil war game will be transfer period between levels, although, you are maybe right for being too small.

And I seriously doubt that they will write completely new code for Shogun 2…
    Last edited by vveedd; 07-13-2010 at 12:31 PM.

The thing is, I don't think alot of total war fans were keen for another gun-powder based game.

Senior Member General King Rufus's Avatar

I hope Total War doesn't go towards WWI, and I agree with vaptin. Though Empire and Napoleon were good for a change I (and most of TW players) prefer the sword and shield and close combat of Shogun, Rome and Medieval.

And the reason to going back to Shogun 2 has been answered by Keiran (sorry for spelling man =P) in almost every interviwe on Shogun 2. They wanted to go back to their first game after 10 years, because now they have far superior technology (and experience) and they wanted to once again focus on a small area in the world and put correctly all the details and create the most immersive TW game to date.

Senior Member Brigadier Elyrioth's Avatar

I agree, probably where ETW fell down was the scale and all the newness. NTW pulled back on scale and allowed them to stabilise the engine and Iron out the kinks. Shogun is there chance to take the flagship game, the very logo for the TW series after all is a samurai, on its 10 year aniversary in the latest engine with the latest graphics and all the lessons learned in 10 years.
    Also a lot of TW players such as Clover and myself, love STW and would rank it as one of the greatest games of all time. A return to the game was inevitable and there is no better time than the 10th anniversary now is there?

It is Shogun 2 because thats the best time period, the best location, the best culture and FINALLY no
    european map. I'm sick of it, a very detailed japanese map would be awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast