Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Memorable moments/AI suprises

Are you talking about Galleons and Fluyts? If yes, I agree. They are waaayyyy over powered! Were your tradeships Indiamen? Second of all, I never board if I can g**** shot. If you pull up on the bow or even aft, you can just g**** shot until kingdom come!
    For the appeasers back in the old country, Casa del Carthage was dangerously out of control!

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

No It was flynt and an Admirals 5th rate with a very good captain but already blown to bits. My trade ships were Indianmen and I was useing g**** before and durring boarding operations. Just bad luck I guess. I understand the tactics and usually do well even when outnumbered. This time I had my head handed to me.

Junior Member Private vipercobra16's Avatar

I was the us had two calvary groups and 1 line infantry and 1 militia unit. GB had 1 group of cannons 3 calvary units and two infantry units. i charged with my calvary and took out their infantry but were one of my my calvary units was wiped out by their cannons and the other retreated. my infantry forced two of their calvary units to retreat. but my line infantry routed and I only had 8 militia left. their other calvary had been hiding and charged me. i had taken cover behing a fence. my militia forced them to retreat and only 2 of my people survived.

Junior Member Private vipercobra16's Avatar

in my next battle i had two minutemen against 5 armed civilians and 2 calvary but still won because i took out the civilians and 1 of the calvary from the forest and eventually french calvary took out the other GB calvary.

@Rickenbacker That's my basic setup for sieges...blow a couple holes thru the walls....sit outside the wall like a police SWAT team and just shoot them when the come out. If they do anything crazy like sending out cavalry to take out my cannons, I've got my cavalry to stop them. The best is to put the puckle gun outside the wall and wait for them to come out. Sometimes u have to bait them in coming out...so I send a cavalry unit to stand at the wall's hole and then coming charging at me. The cav goes back behind the infantry line and they get blasted. The AI once sent 2 cavalry units out that took out my artillery when i wasn't paying attention...so then I had to climb the walls....such a pain.

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by sdw1000 View Post
    @Rickenbacker That's my basic setup for sieges...blow a couple holes thru the walls....sit outside the wall like a police SWAT team and just shoot them when the come out. If they do anything crazy like sending out cavalry to take out my cannons, I've got my cavalry to stop them. The best is to put the puckle gun outside the wall and wait for them to come out. Sometimes u have to bait them in coming out...so I send a cavalry unit to stand at the wall's hole and then coming charging at me. The cav goes back behind the infantry line and they get blasted. The AI once sent 2 cavalry units out that took out my artillery when i wasn't paying attention...so then I had to climb the walls....such a pain.
    Yep, me too haha

Although the drill sargent sounding guy tells you 'The point here is to salvage what you can from the enemy fort not destroy it..' etc etc lol.. Im like yep.. cannons are set to fire at will!

Only downside is the volume of time it takes to camp the fort waiting for the cannons to do their damage and make some holes. If the troops can be afforded I've found it helps alot to get at least a couple groups to climb a wall as a flanking manuever once the battle at the hole in the wall starts letting my guys inside the structure, tends to sandwich the enemy forces and cuts down on casualties.

An 'ai' moment I recall here :

The jaw dropping results the game constantly puts out when auto resolving naval fights lol... I mean, cmon.. I've resorted to having to manually do almost every naval battle, simply because there are some serious issues with the auto resolve.. Like me having a maxed group of Galleons and 2nd rate ships, we go against 1.. yes One enemy Galleon or 2nd rate.. and we lose anywhere from 1 to like 5 ships ! lol.. and at that, the rest of the fleet takes some damage as well. Ironically, ofc, doing it manually, the enemy is sunk before he can even moderately damage one of my ships. It's quite boring spending up to 15 mins in a naval battle with a full group against one ship, but what do you do. Quite unlike the ground battles, auto resolve often does a good job of making resonable results in light of the forces on both sides.
    Last edited by sornan; 10-11-2011 at 03:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2