Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Campaign replayability

Junior Member Private

I like to play napoleon and give a region to prussia and have them be my ally. I need to have them stay put for a while. I always attack england first. their navy is a pain the but and their army is always the hardest to beat. Once I get england and do not take them but sell them to other country. What I like to do is to liberate scotland and then give away england to them. They love it and they will be your ally to the end and I also do the same with ireland and give wales to them. I then go back to europe and then I also have all my allies in germanic country and kingdom of italy fight russia and austria and then slowly i get austrian regions... then vienna goes out easily. russia I like to take a boat all the way to the black sea and march straight to moscow during summer times.

Junior Member Private

For those still wondering if Napoleon is worth the purchase, go out and buy it. It's by far the best total war game of the entire series, including Empire TW and Shogun2 TW.

There's a reason for Napoleon being released so soon after ETW, and it has to do with Empire being a broken game upon release. In fact it's still broken and not worth the $$. Napoleon was the first to be released where you could actually play it as is, and both the land and sea battles are a lot smoother play with a tougher AI in the mix. Artillery is also deadly in this one.

Replayability isn't much of an issue either, as you're able to download a mod that allows you to play as just about every faction in the game. I've played as Sweden before, and ended up purchasing Ireland from the Brits, only to lose Sweden to the Russians and have Napoleon, the Ottomans, and Brits all sending troops to Ireland to take me out, which they eventually did.

Playing as one of the Italian factions is also fun, as you can expect to battle with the Austrians and eventually Napoleon himself will come knocking.

The only gripes I have with the game are some of the glaring ones, but nothing that prevents fun and often times time consuming play.

1. Diplomacy is broken, but more so because you start out at war with other nations and have very little chance at peace. In a since it's a rigged game team wise, but don't for a second think that Empire TW isn't rigged as well with the *past grievance* that you cannot turn off at the start of each game. This a must option for any future games.

2. Spain is very passive- This *might* be because their home city has trouble building troops. I've had this problem before playing as Spain, and had to tear down a military building more than twice to be able to train troops. There seems to be a bug when upgrading the building, but this may just be related to the Mod that allows the human player to have control of Spain. Either way, there needs to be some more action in the case of Spain. They have a solid military and navy and there's no excuse for them to be as passive as they are.

3. Reinforcements- It still lacks a proper way of bringing in reinforcements. Also the troop count should be higher, as cannon are deadly in this one, and range units have a higher kill rate than in Empire. I've also found that it's rare to have a third army in the mix. Normally all you can do is add a stack of cav and infantry, and consider it a late show to the battle.

4. Other nations seem to be passive on the building of their economy, and fail to repair damaged ships. They're also passive with the trade income available to them.

5. Navies- It would be nice if nations would build up their navies so you could have some more conflict at sea. The sea battle are quite enjoyable, and often time it's a wasted commodity in this game as there aren't too many naval engagements. Wish the AI would build more capital ships. There also needs to be an off switch that prevents trade ships from attacking other navies. I know that it's total war but give me a break. Go find a trade slot already. Same goes for ETW.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Smith77 View Post
    Replayability isn't much of an issue either, as you're able to download a mod that allows you to play as just about every faction in the game. I've played as Sweden before, and ended up purchasing Ireland from the Brits, only to lose Sweden to the Russians and have Napoleon, the Ottomans, and Brits all sending troops to Ireland to take me out, which they eventually did.
    For me, replayability is an issue not because I can't play all factions but because the map is dominated by a few major factions that limit the strategic options in the Coalition campaigns. It's 1806 in my Prussian campaign (replayed) and I've conquered Denmark and Sweden, with no allies except Hessen and Saxony as my protectorates. I was preparing to invade Russia when for no reason, Austria attacks Saxony although the French are closing in on Vienna! France did not declare war on me maybe because I allied with their ally the Ottomans. As I only had four full armies, I had no choice but to give up my Russian invasion and attack Austria from the east (Poland) while France squeezes them from the opposite direction in the west. Of course, the Austrians are doomed and Napoleon is grinning because I'm making his work so much easier. In my past attempted campaign as Prussia, I was allied to Austria, but they still attacked my protectorate Saxony anyway.

Lesson: Fighting any one major faction in NTW (except Britain) appears to give their rival a huge unfair advantage, and this is especially an issue for Prussia. Attack France and Austria backstabs you. Attack Austria and France expands even faster then attacks you. Attack Russia, and Berlin is vulnerable to surprise attacks by France and Austria. Except for Britain (which I've completed), I don't know how the other factions are replayable because the strategic choices seem to be rather limited for the above reason.

Member Lance Corporal Madra Rua's Avatar

Its now 2005 hours and no special present from CA, as I celeberate witH a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-pape 2004. Still the best game for me.

Moderator Master and Commander dge1's Avatar

I played through all the Napoleon campaigns on Normal and Hard, through all the Coalition faction on normal, and about half on hard. I enjoyed the gameplay, the graphics are great, and even did some MP.

Don't know why really but I just stopped playing, and have not really had any desire to return. I still play Empire, with all it quirks and bugs, almost all the time. Just not interested in playing Napoleon anymore. I really cannot give a reason why.
    A people without history is like wind on the buffalo grass - Sioux Proverb.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Don't forget the "all playable nations" mod. Playing the coalition campaign as Spain is a lot of fun !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2