Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to start playing Shogun2 while offline

Default how to start playing Shogun2 while offline

Ey
    I'm going abroad and most probably I'm gonna have no net these days
    Can someone tell me how to start playing Shogun2 while offline, I mean not accessing the steam?
    Thanks
    manel

Moderator Master and Commander Billy Ruffian's Avatar

Open Steam, then click on Steam in the top left corner. You should get a menu that includes "Go Offline", select that and you're done.
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

Senior Member Sergeant-Major Dreagon's Avatar

But make sure your not downloading anything.
    My Total War wishlist:

1: Reformation: Total War
    2: Victoria: Total War
    3: Dark Age: Total War

Senior Member Corporal

Steam hasn't been letting me do that recently. It says it can't connect to Steam even when I select to go offline. Apparently it does that when it needs to be updated, but I've been playing online for nearly a month now, so it should have updated if it was going to. IDK if this is the OP's problem or not, but it's a problem I'm having. Fortunately, I can connect via my phone now, though.

Moderator Master and Commander daelin4's Avatar

You can't play Steam games without using Steam. You can only do so in Online/Offline mode. Test to see if you can play the game without an internet connection.
    Total War Terms and Conditions
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    Total War: ROME II Political Guide
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code][code] in your post.

Senior Member Master and Commander Naisho's Avatar

@Rewjeo

I encountered the same issue not long ago. It is a problem with Steam itself. One of the files probably corrupted. To fix it you need to go into the steam folder and delete nearly all the files except for the games.

Remember do not delete your games or the application steam.exe and when steam launches it will update fixing the problem.

keep steamapps
    keep userdata
    keep steam application exe
    move everything else out of the steam folder and launch the program.

this will update/reinstall the program and make offline mode work properly again.

This is not a well known bug or fix and I had to spend at least an hour searching to find the solution.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB

Senior Member Major KillerMonkeyBob's Avatar

You can't access steam without an internet connection, To go into offline mode you still need a connection to verify before it let's you access your steam library. Only thing you can do is keep your laptop running the entire trip so steam doesn't close and you have to reconnect.

Senior Member Master and Commander Naisho's Avatar

Killer, the constant internet connection is not required by steam. Rather you need to set up the ticket for offline play and then it will allow. When offline mode requires a internet connection a portion of steam is malfunctioning.

In which case you need to either check the steam settings to see if it allows for offline play, and if it is set up properly you need to delete most of the contents of the steam folder. Just make sure to keep your steamapps folder, user data folder, and steam exe.
    Last edited by Naisho; 08-31-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB

Senior Member Major KillerMonkeyBob's Avatar

You don't need a constant connection but you need a connection while it is starting up. If i start up steam then disconnect my internet it goes into offline mode. However if i disconect my internet and reboot my computer to start up steam it tells me i need a valid internet connection to access the steam servers. I have been looking for a way round this for ages but never turn anything up, either people just accept it or don't know the problem.

Senior Member Master and Commander GrudgeNL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkeyBob View Post
    You don't need a constant connection but you need a connection while it is starting up. If i start up steam then disconnect my internet it goes into offline mode. However if i disconect my internet and reboot my computer to start up steam it tells me i need a valid internet connection to access the steam servers. I have been looking for a way round this for ages but never turn anything up, either people just accept it or don't know the problem.
    I have used steam for a while without having any internet connection, even without internet connection while starting steam.
    Grudge's Mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast