Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Arrow Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a BETA-version of new Redux (Medieval Total War-Redux 3rd Edition) as such not everything is carved in stone yet, however most things seem to be settled at this point. Anyhow, it requires the original MTW game in order to run - as in the V 1.1 version or with the compatibility-module it can also run on VI/V 2.01 versions – the game and experience is the same. To install Redux you first set up a clean install of MTW somewhere and then properly patch it up to either V1.1 or VI/V2.01 – once that is done you THEN copy/paste over Redux on top of MTW, standard package first and VI-module last… If done this way, Redux should work just fine.

The primary campaign in this version of Redux is “RX-classic”, a scenario which offers a campaign spanning from 700-1260 AD – in total 560 turns. 11 out of 18 factions are playable in it along with unruly rebels and pirates as well. The overall goal is total supremacy over Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, either by achieving 60% or a 100% domination of all provinces. The means for achieving this goal are troops, ships and agents, and yet more of the same. Development and a functional economy are key-factors for survival on the road to glory - without it you will surely perish. Anyhow, please report in bugs, typos and anomalies if you see any...

Mod Name: Medieval Total War – Redux
    Mod Version: Open Beta 1005
    Language: English (Multi edition compatibility, European editions)
    Terms of Use: P.U.O, Personal Use Only, thus it is restricted material.
    Size: Rared 205MB /Zipped 258MB /Uncompressed 366MB
    Compatibility: All major versions. Medieval Total War v1.1 or VI/v2.01 using the VI-upgrade module, see below...
    Operating System: 2000/XP/W7 (Vista/W8 unconfirmed)
    Hardware: see “Redux_ReadMe1005.txt”-file, hardware issues & info section, virtually everything else is “try and find out” essentially.
    Description: see above...
    Credits: see “Redux_ReadMe1005.txt”-file, credits section…
    Download Links:

Download zip-version: (primary)
    http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/108...redux-beta1005

Download rar-version: (reserve)
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/24421...x_Beta1005_rar

This is the VI-upgrade BETA module, as such it makes Redux compatible with the VI/V2.01 version of MTW. At this point it does not bring any “extra features” to the game-experience which is thus nearly identical to the standard version of Redux. This is still a beta so it is possible it may contain some minor errors here and there. Anyhow, have fun with this module and please report in any bugs, typos and other errors if you encounter any.

Module Name: Redux VI-upgrade
    Module Version: Open Beta 1005
    Language: English (Multi edition compatibility, European editions)
    Terms of Use: P.U.O, Personal Use Only, thus it is restricted material.
    Size: Rared 8.6MB /Zipped 11MB /Uncompressed 20.7MB
    Install: VI-upgrade must be installed after the standard package.
    Operating System: 2000/XP/W7 (Vista/W8 unconfirmed)
    Compatibility: Medieval Total War V2.01 only. (Patched Eras- and Gold-editions included).
    Credits: see “Redux_ReadMe1005.txt”-file, credits section…
    Download Links:

Download zip-version: (primary)
    http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/108...ux-vi-beta1005

Download rar-version: (reserve)
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/24421...I-Beta1005.rar

Some demo-screens of new Redux...

Demo01

Demo02

Demo03

Demo04

Demo05

Furthermore, there already are regular Redux-threads since 2008 with various questions, answers and discussions over at the ORG and TWC respectively. Feel free to go there and post related stuff to Redux at your discreation...

Link to ORG:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumd...?263-MTW-Redux

Link to TWC:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190721

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-18-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Update...

Redux News….

I am currently working on RXB1003 and thus I can now confirm that there will be another Redux-release in 2012. Maybe more, but one thing at a time. I don’t know about release dates at this point – all I can say is that “its on its way”. One thing is certain anyhow - as of RXB1003 - Redux will officially support Windows 7 and that means that folks using (or considering to use) that OS will then be free to try out Redux at will (and from that point I’ll then try the best I can to support people, if problems occur on Redux) – if there previously was any uncertainties due to OS – they are now gone as far as W7 is concerned. I can now fully confirm that running RXB1003 on W7 (and essentially modern hardware) seems to present the game within fully acceptable parameters with only a few small-time anomalies of various kinds that can’t be helped due to the MTW-engine and various drivers (see Redux & W7-thread for details).

As for Windows Vista, that OS will continue to hold the status of “not officially supported”/unconfirmed on Redux, even if I have seen several claims that it too does work with Redux as well. I don’t have any Vista available and thus I can not confirm and check on anything related to it. Regardless, that status will still stand until further notice.

At any rate, what might we expect of the future RXB1003-release then? Here are the things that are already are set to be included in the release – it is possible that there will be even more stuff eventually, time will tell…

• Windows 7 officially supported.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Burgundy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, France.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Papacy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Portugal.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Russia.
    • Upgrades on GFX, units (minor)
    • Upgrades on GFX, Peasant BIF-plate (minor).
    • Upgrades on GFX, models (for improved experience with W7)
    • Upgrades on GFX, interface & icons (various).
    • Upgrades on GFX, frontend and loadingscreen
    • Upgrades on GFX, various models and textures
    • Campaign/stratmap-texture upgraded.
    • All princess portraits (Catholic, Orthodox and pagan) upgraded to the “2012-paradigm”.
    • Upgrades on “battle-animations”, Dragon Order Knights, Russian Boyars, Slavic Horse Archers, English Knights, Spanish Knights, Frankish Knights and Papal Knights.
    • Russia will be unlocked and be fully playable as an optional faction (officially).
    • Spies returns to Redux, now available via the chancellery-building. “Travellers” are out - the engine could not handle it properly....
    • Minor adjustments on unit-roster.
    • Minor adjustments on buildings/tech-roster.
    • European-editions compatible, French/German/Italian/Spanish-editions. (In English)
    • Low resolution faction-shields fixed. The engine could not handle the colours properly...
    • A few minor bugs and errors killed.
    • Scottish Nobles get their shields.
    • ?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-24-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: update...

Alright, all links are up...

Q. Why should I try MTW-Redux?
    A. Because you want a different experience, Redux provides that and then some.

Q. Where are all the old troops from MTW?
    A. Nowhere, they were thrown out of Redux…. Redux has it’s own and more advanced troop-roster made from scratch (more detailed and diverse in qualities, ensuring more interesting and dynamic battles)…

Q. Why are there so few factions? I like loads of factions and more variety!
    A. In short, it creates a better and more functional game, and thus ultimately a better game-experience for you as the player of that game… Ironically a more diverse game as well, despite appearances…

Long answer…
    ----------------
    There are several reasons for it. Experience shows that “fewer” factions means superior AI-performance in general and that each faction included in such circumstances can be made more distinct - thus have more actual meaning within the game. There are only so many ways to distinguish factions on the MTW-engine. Once we exceed the threshold of what the engine can handle in such regards - and the more we do it - each faction loses distinction. Essentially, it becomes an illusion of variety, more or less hollow. Making each faction more and more like copies of other factions. This is in direct conflict with the very concepts of actual diversity.

It is one thing so call something by a new name and quite another to actually have something that is something else due to individual and specific traits that distinguish it. Redux excels in these regards because of the fact that it has fewer factions. Each distinction and trait becomes more important because it is more effective and valid under such circumstances. Redux is made with the doctrine of quality in parts, not quantity. If quantity has to go in order to ensure quality by distinctions and functionality in factions - then so be it.

Besides, fewer factions ultimately mean stronger and thus more dangerous factions, making the overall game-experience and AI-performance more exiting and challenging anyways - even without the enhanced designs that Redux has in place for both AI and factions on this note. This in contrast to a broken functionality due to the weight of too many factions that the engine can’t successfully handle or separate anyways - resulting in regular AI-apathy and passivity (usually due to the lack of strength somehow). Thus we would get poor AI performance and less exiting and entertaining game-experiences because of it. For Redux, it was an easy choice and obviously it was made for the benefit of the player and the overall game-experience…

The irony is that fewer factions, once properly designed, clearly offers more actual diversity and dynamics to a game then a multitude of factions does (which only offers increased levels of standardization - which in turn kills diversity and dynamics. Thus appearances deceive). It all boils down to this, variety or quantity…. As the reality is that the MTW-engine can’t have and handle both when it comes to factions. Redux has gone for variety to ensure quality in the game-experience...

Q. Where are the grand inquisitors and cardinals (and the others)?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux. They did not have enough purpose in the game to earn a place in Redux and thus were taken out as redundant elements because of it.

Q. Why is there no era-progression in Redux?
    A. It has a history of generating bugs. Besides, Redux is too cool to bother with any silly eras-progression…. Next question….

Q. Where are Malta and Rhodes?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux….

Q. Where is Switzerland?! I want my Swiss armoured pikemen!
    A. Nowhere, it is not included in Redux…. Relax, pikemen in Redux is just as good or better in every aspect…. For optimal pikemen, play HRE or Italy….

Q. Are all landbridges removed in Redux?
    A. Many of them are… The only ones left are Denmark-Sweden, Cordoba-Morocco, Sicily-Naples and Sardinia-Corsica…

Q. Why are all generals, helmeted knights? (Norse – warriors?)
    A. That is part of the customization aspects of Redux. They are essentially numbered placeholders, ready to be changed at the player’s discretion, either by the pre-made stock-portraits done for Redux or something you done yourself. All stock-portraits are found in the included the “Redux Bonus Materials” - as is the instructions on how this is exactly done (and sets of backup placeholder-portraits are also included). Basically, players can at any time personalize their “fave” general(s) by selecting and applying such stock-portraits into the game, according to personal preference.

Q. Are the campaign-map changed? Any extra provinces in Redux?
    A. Yes, both the map, provinces and the connectivity between provinces has been re-drawn and changed all over. This to generate better circumstances, game-flow and AI-performance out of the game - all over. No additional extra-provinces have been added due to limitations of the v.1.1-engine. The raw tax-value of the Redux-map is 30.000 fl. MTW got about 32.000+ fl. in raw tax-value on the same amount of provinces. So, Redux has fewer florins assigned to it. You were not supposed to swim in florins anyways, at least not without having to work and fight for it. You know, florins are supposed to be precious somehow….

Ok, so much for the "old questions, new answers”…

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-15-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: update...

A note on the links...

It seems that GameFront-management in their infinite wisdom has screwed up once again and lost all Redux uploads and thus people will have too rely solely on the AtomicGamer links for Redux until further notice. I'll try to fix it, possibly put up some other uploads elsewhere.

EDIT:
    -------------------
    The GameFront links for Redux are up and fully operational again...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 09-01-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Redux News....

I'm happy to announce that the RXB1003 have generated 1000+ downloads. This makes it the most successful "new" Redux beta-release to date. Keep at it and do enjoy the Redux-experience folks.

All the same, if people could help me out with general Intel and report in game-experiences on whatever faction they played in Redux - it would make things a lot more easier. Basically, the more solid info I have and get, the better job I can do as to improve Redux for the final release.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-20-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Redux News....

I'm happy to announce that this week the TWC have set up an official wiki-page to gather both general and detailed information on Redux, in one place. My thanks to the TWC content-branch for their work on this. The Redux-wiki offers analysis, lists and comments on many features and traits, and provides various information of all kinds on Redux. Definitely a must see for all new to or just curious about Redux. I would like to think that this wiki-page can even offer something to experienced Redux players as well, go there and find out.

On general terms, I'm happy to discuss this new Redux-wiki with anybody (regardless the aspect) - however as it is located over at the TWC boards, I think any related discussion should be confined to the TWC Redux-thread as a result. All the same, I you do have suggestions, criticisms, corrections, improvements etc. etc. - feel free to head over there and post away... The more input and the more it is discussed - the better the wiki can become. Now, get over there and have a look!

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Medieva...E2%80%93_Redux

- A

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-01-2013 at 05:00 AM. Reason: update

The RXB1004 VI-upgrade patched!

Alright, the links are up... The VI-upgrade for RXB1004 has been patched (due to previous performance issues), as of today. As to kill confusion and possible screw-ups, I decided to patch the VI-upgrade/"Module B" for RXB1004 directly. I have recalled the previous VI-upgrade for RXB1004 as they are now obsolete by definition. All Gold/VI/v.2.01-users are recommended to download the new VI-upgrade and re-install Redux all over and then you folks are good to go with the improved game. It is possible to just install the new "Module B" on top on previous installs BUT there might possibly be anomalies s a result - a fresh re-install is therefore recommended as to minimize such problems.

Overall, the VI-RXB1004e improves AI-performance and fixes some minor previous bugs/errors/typos. It’s labelled “RXB1004e” for distinction in the files whenever relevant. Due to various changes in file-structure, this patched/newer version is not save-game compatible with any previous saves. A new game is also required for it to function…

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-04-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: update

Re-posted from the TWC, as it is interesting stuff...

Below are some old pics, the results of a test/experiment I did in Jan 2013 as to evaluate Redux and its overall challenge-levels. The experiment (or test) was essentially: “can one achieve victory in raw MTW within 100 turns? Even if the difficulty is maxed out? If not, how close can one get then? Can one do it with Redux? How will raw MTW compare to Redux in this regard? What are the actual differences between the two in this context? What conclusions can be drawn from the results?” etc. etc. I also tried XL for additional and broader reference (while I never came around to do a Redux-campaign at that point in time. I did it later on however). These were the combined results….

Raw MTW, playing as Spain (a hard faction), Early-era, expert level, default unit-size... Full throttle enabled... 80 turns in (1167 AD), I was offered victory. I was amazed at the result as I did not expect it to be that easy, as things had actually turned out. Thinking back, I remember I was essentially swimming in florins all the time, no matter what I did. I was constantly at war ever since turn 5 or 6. I never ever used any mercenaries or **** troops like peasants for garrisoning, I never built any save, 2-3 units of spearmen at start up - I had little choice, no other troops were available at that point. Once I could build feudal men at arms, I used little else for infantry and my armies.

Same Spanish campaign in raw MTW... 94 turns in (1181 AD), I was offered total victory. I was surprised at the speed it all have happened, some 40(!) provinces conquered in just 14 turns... All this while the famous "rebel-bug" was in full swing (causing some minor problems, but it was never much beyond that, due to the overly effective watchtowers and some additional spies)...

MTW-XL 3.0, playing as Armenians (a hard faction), Early-era, expert level, default unit-size... Full throttle enabled... 96 turns in (1176 AD), I was offered (minor) victory. I did not bother pursuing a total victory after that as I already had the info I was looking for. Its possible that I could have shaven off some few turns, if I had been more experienced with both XL and the Armenians... All I remember is that I killed the Turks first and then killed the Egyptians while at war with Byzantium too. The Turks and Egyptians were a joke in regards to troops once I could get my hands on some functional cavalry, then it was all over... After Constantinople every faction was fair game, as I was done playing nice and went berserk across XL-Europe.

Raw MTW was slightly easier then XL. I had little problems with cash, troops, order, rebels and buildings in neither - I could build whatever I wanted without any fuss or protest anywhere, this at any given time - although it certainly took time to build stuff. Building-time, more then anything was the greatest obstacle in these two campaigns. Ships take like forever to build, and so I basically ignored a building a big fleet and do trade - I had no time for it (in this context), nor did I seriously need it. AI-factions was typically no threat on, or from, the seas anyways. I also remember that I was in constant war, all the time, with two or more factions as a rule. At first I started them, later it was the AI all the way... I never made peace or dishonoured an alliance, in either two campaigns.

MTW-Redux using a 1004-prototype (about 3 months later, Apr 2013)... Playing as Spain, veteran level, default unit-size... Full throttle enabled... 100 turns in (800 AD), I have managed to scrape together some 13 provinces, and securing the Iberian peninsula and a buffer zone in France and Morocco but little else (save Flanders!). This screen shows the northern borders into France... My armies are hardly spectacular nor superior to my foes (here or elsewhere). In fact the French armies are actually better then mine at this point and so my troops get slaughtered every time I actually try to attack French held territories... My troops are simply outclassed in terms of equipment to the Frankish knights. I managed to build my very first unit of royal spearmen which is probably the only thing that will break these well equipped Frankish knights in battle, since little else will (at least from Spain, save archers, of which I don't have enough to pull it off). In short, Spain's armies are still in internal disorder and in need of upgrades due to the massive pressure during the first 100 turns, especially from the Moors. Spain has little or no reserves, and its armies are still very much under construction to cover past losses. Plenty of cheap units still around as I basically could not afford quality units at the rate I had lost them, and I had to get new troops to survive...

Same Spanish campaign in Redux... The southern borders in Africa... Spain under my reign was hardly mighty, and it is first now slowly recovering from some 80+ turns of multiple wars (on several fronts), constant shortages, battles and rebellions. Spain was never strong enough to wipe out the Moors when it had the chance - not enough troops to do it. The economy has for the most part on the verge of collapse as it has been is overstretched by various demands, needs and plans. I had to fine-tune taxes many times just to maintain some internal order and avoid rebellions. I simply had no troops to deal with that too... I have been fighting for survival multiple times against the Moors, who **** near wiped me off the map - had it not been for a series of spectacular/fancy wins that ultimately saved Spain from annihilation. I mean, I could have lost the entire game some 5-6 times at least, had I lost any of those crucial battles. The initial Moorish onslaught was relentless and without mercy, I was fighting for survival. After some 100 turns of toil and serious struggle in Redux, what did I have to show for it all?

...Some 9,974 florins and 13 provinces - hard earned.

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon
    The 1005 version upgrades, changes or introduce over 400 files in total, scattered all over the game. It brings many and important changes to Redux, and a whole bunch of totally new stuff and features as well. The new (more intricate) circumstances and designs have been included as to improve and enrich the overall game-experience, and its different stages. The global total provincial raw income of 30.000 fl. has been cut down to 25.000 fl. – the original game have about 32.000 for the same amount of regions (and to that significantly lower prices). The game-world have essentially become poorer all over - every turn - making regional development ever more important to maintain good finances and order. The 1005 includes probably the largest and most diverse tech-tree ever created for MTW. It will matter what you build and in what order, as the pressure is on. If not careful, you might be crushed by rebellions or an invading force before you have secured your kingdom. Trade is more difficult to set up due to prices and pirates. Unruliness and stability-levels have been made a more prominent factors in Redux, forcing you to consider and adapt to these factors more often, especially in poorly developed provinces. Your subjects and nobles are more inclined to rebel against you if there is little or no infrastructure or garrison that ensures regional order. There is a new land-bridge to Ireland from Scotland and plenty of other stuff for you to explore and discover with this version.

Overall, with some of the initial steps taken with the 1004 release, the 1005 version signals a departure from the previous experience and many designs we had in 1001-1003. Redux have evolved and ended up being even tougher and more complex then before. There are many differences and plenty of new designs with this 1005-version and I hope you will like this new direction and experience as much as I do...

Lastly, all found and identified bugs (and errors) have been killed or fixed, as much as possible, and due to some changes in file-structures, this version is NOT save-game compatible with ANY previous versions of Redux. Sorry for that. You must thus start a fresh new game to run beta 1005.
    Text taken from the RXB1005-release notes...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-18-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: update

+ Reply to Thread