Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RTW: No real widescreen support!!!????

Junior Member Private

Default RTW: No real widescreen support!!!????

I think I recall last playing RTW on a 4:3 monitor and now that I have reinstalled it and playing on a 16:10 monitor running at 1680x1050 native resolution, I have realised that RTW is not fully 100% compatible with widescreen monitor resolutions

Despite checking the "widescreen" box and choosing the 1680x1050 resolution setting in the video settings screen, the toolbar, the menus, the unit cards and all teh splash screen actually do not display in true widescreen mode. It literally seems to just takes native 4:3 images and S-T-RE-T-C-H-E-S them sideways to fit the 16:10 monitor!!!!

Here is a screenshot of the settings screen with the widescreen check box checked. You can see even here things are out of proportion/stretched sideways:

Here is an in game still when I set the video settings to 1680x1050 (16:10). The toolbar is stretched sideways but the 3D world is in proportion.

Now here is an in game still when I set the video settings to 1024x768 (4:3). The toolbar here is in proportion. NOTE here that the 3D world view is squashed because the "widescreen" checkbox has been checked..

As far as I am concerned, this is very bad game interface design and I can't believe it is the case. It is such an amateurish thing to do.

Is this what happens to everyone or is there something peculiar about my settings/monitor etc?
    Last edited by Bullman; 10-13-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: did some testing

Arrow

I think you need to change your resolution to 1360x768 or 1440x900 of your widescreen monitor, but remember you also need to change the resolution of both campaign map and battle map in RTW's video options. This should work for you.

Tech-Hero. Master and Commander Iscaran's Avatar

You can't compare the 1024x768 screenshots taken on your monitor - because the monitor itself now stretches the view. Though it does it differently then the game engine. Which explains the differences between the two.

If you wish to compare the pictures properly you need to set the graphics driver to show the image "in a box". In ATI drivers this option is labeled "use centered timings". With this option enabled and when you select a smaller resolution then the one you have set for the desktop (usually monitors native resolution) the created image will not get "scaled" to the native resolution by the monitor, because the graphics driver adds a black box around the original image to fit it the set desktop resolution.

That way you have no screen distortions because of scaling and can properly compare the screenshots.

Now as for the widescreen support - I do not know whether or not RTW has a true Widescreen support or if it only "stretches" the image...

You could also use this centered timings technique to run RTW in an 4:3 resolution as close as possible to your 1680x1050 native - so you do not have a stretched view, but loose a part of the image size. That would be a workaround of the problem.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.

+ Reply to Thread