Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam won't let me play the game.

Senior Member Corporal tricky-step's Avatar

Default Steam won't let me play the game.

I receive the following message:

The game is currently unavailable.
    Please try again at another time.

How can I fix this and how does this even work? I tried with steam off and online.

Moderator Master and Commander Billy Ruffian's Avatar

Try some of these
    FAQ #6

Common Steam Related Workarounds

These actions can often solve a "game unavailable" repetitive error in Steam, and are sometimes useful for solving other common problems. Useful as a basis for basic troubleshooting first steps.

Running Steam as Administrator
    If you are seeing issues with Steam and Steam games, please try the following:
    •Exit from Steam.
    •Right click the Steam.exe from C:\Program Files\Steam or your default location and choose the "Run as Administrator" option to launch Steam. The option may not work with a Desktop shortcut to Steam so be sure to use the direct Steam.exe.
    This process is not permanent. If this corrects your issue, you can continue to launch Steam in this manner or upgrade your Windows User account to Administrator status.

Verify integrity of game cache
    1.Open Steam
    2.From the My Games tab, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
    3.Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
    4.Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.
    5.Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Deleting Registry.blob
    1. Exit and restart Steam
    2. If the issue persists, exit Steam and delete the clientregistry.blob file under the Steam installation directory (C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ by default) and restart Steam
    3. If deleting the clientregistry.blob file does not resolve the issue, please exit Steam and delete everything under the Steam installation directory except Steam.exe and the /SteamApps/ folder - this will force Steam to update when you log in

Disabling Steam Community
    Another fix for some conditions where TW games won't launch, is to go to steam settings, in-game and disable the Steam community in game.
    Now see if you can launch the game.
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

Shireknight

moved to tech support

Junior Member Private Great General Wallace's Avatar

I've just downloaded M2 vanilla and Kingdoms in the gold pack from steam and am getting the same error messages. I've tried all of the suggestions from the second post and none have worked. Any other suggestions?

Also, they do occasionally work and whenever I try restarting Steam it says that it can't shut down steam while Medieval 2: Total War is running even when I had closed the game.

+ Reply to Thread