Total War Forums

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best clan?

Senior Member Corporal joegouvin's Avatar

using Kisho training is harder than you would think. I use it mostly to cut out any long marches under enemy arrow attack by deploying very close to the enemy position. this works well and keeps the enmy from adapting their defence and will keep your men from being tired or depleted from archers.
    War is Hell.... but who ever said Hell wasnt alot of fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluko View Post
    The Date are fun, but I cannot find any practical use for No-Dachi Samurai. The fact they basically have little armor/defense results in them getting slaughtered. I guess they could make a good reserve with Banzai.
    I noticed that the Date home province has a smith. If you upgrade it and build a camp which you upgrade to an ****nal (do not know why this is censored) you get +5 armor for all units recruited there. These No-Dachi untis can shatter the enemy with their good assault skills and are then still able to defeat the rest.

Many people don't know how to use the No Dachi (or other shock troops for that matter) to the maximum effect. I have seen this since the original Shogun. The No Dachi should be used once your main force has engaged as means to shatter an already occupied enemy. The flanking charge is devastating and provides almost instant breaking of the rival unit.

I have come to find that two are the most rewarding moments in a TW game, every title:

- when a well placed ranged shot kills/routes the enemy (especially if General)
    - when you charge the enemy with a shock unit, especially through the flanks and with cavalry, and watch them flee

These are instant-buy-this-game moments in my book.
    In ancient Japan, a Kensai (剣聖, sword's saint) was an honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of "Kensai" is "sword saint". Thus, the term is considered by some to imply a higher degree of perfection (possibly also encompassing a moral dimension) than the more commonly used kengō (剣豪) or "great sword".

Senior Member Sergeant StrakerYrius's Avatar

I've played the full campaign through to full conquest (all 60+ provinces) with every caln at least twice now and have had a number of interesting and thoroughly enjoyable campaigns.

My favourite, and the most entertaining has to be playing the Shimazu as Christians from turn 1. That was a blast. Also playing the Oda in character and not recruiting any Samurai units in the campaign at all. That resulted in having 3,000,000 in the treasury and an income over 120,000 per turn at the end of the campaign.

For those having trouble with the Date as posted above - you're going after the wrong targets. You need to take out the Honma (getting the bonus of their income from Gold mines) before you take on the Hatekayama. be prepared for a slow build up to get your fleets and a sizeable army ready to go and then you can easily take out mid-area provinces using Sado as an amphibious army base.

I agree totally with the poster who stated that you need to play the game to its later stages to have completed the tech tree and get the advanced units this allows. If you don't do this you are not experiencing the full "flavour" of the game and you will become bored with it more quickly due to the lack of unit diversity in the early game.

The Hattori are quickly becoming my favorite clan. Taking over and controlling the Kansai region (central Japan around Kyoto) at the beginning of the game is fun, and having the Oda and the Ikko Ikki right on your doorstep can be really hair-raising. Especially since the Hattori unit upkeep is generally so high, and the Oda and Ikko Ikki field these gigantic armies of ashigaru. Definitely a challenge, one that forces you to really use your kisho trained units and ninja to get the maximum advantage.

Takeda are probably my second favorite. You have a lot of interesting options for diplomacy and expansion. Should you take out the Hojo and conquer the Kanto Plain? Should you subdue all the other mountain clans and wipe out the Uesugi and Ikko Ikki? Or make a direct charge across Kiso and Mino into central Japan? Plus, the great cavalry of the Takeda lets me take out much larger armies. I can usually beat full stacks (as long as they're not mostly samurai) with a half-stack composed of mostly yari ashigaru and cavalry. The ashigaru do the hard work of getting the enemy army engages and then the cavalry rescue them with a charge to the flanks or rear of the enemy line.

Initially, I didn't like the Mori much but after my last Mori game, they've really grown on me. After securing your initial position, you can basically pick and choose where you want to expand. Northern Kyushu for the very fertile provinces? Shikoku for an easily defensible group of provinces to fuel your war machine? Directly towards Kyoto? It's also trivial for the Mori to secure 5 out of 6, or even all 6 trade ports before the other clans even start building their fleets. And since the Mori don't have a specialization for their land units, you don't feel quite as constrained with your research as you might with other clans (e.g. feeling like you must advance the sword research tree for the Shimazu; or you must advance the gunpowder tree for Hojo, etc).

Junior Member Private

Shimazu is my favourite, they're the closest to trade ports which are a great source of money. And money is soldiers, right?

Senior Member Corporal joegouvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex of Durham View Post
    Shimazu is my favourite, they're the closest to trade ports which are a great source of money. And money is soldiers, right?
    yeah but the Mori can simply deystory those trade ships should you make enemies with them. No money means no soldiers right?
    War is Hell.... but who ever said Hell wasnt alot of fun?

Junior Member Private

Tokugawa for me. I am a historical buff and when I played Tokugawa in SP(Very Hard) I conquered all of Japan just for fun(did it in 192 turns). I plan to do it again on Legendary just for the heck of it.

Junior Member Private geordie97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex of Durham View Post
    I agree, I ususally start by capturing the trade ports and then building up my armies, for an attack on the chokosabe.

The launching into mainland Japan
    War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished.

Senior Member Corporal TakaujiMuramasa's Avatar

The Oda Clan and the Tokugawa are my two favorites both for historical accuracy and for the fact that I prefer the tactical ease that ashigaru units give you at a low cost. If Yari Samurai could form a spear wall, then I'd probably like them even more, but meh, it is what it is.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast