Total War Forums

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Comment on Pre-Order exclusives and DLCs

Thanks CA for making the best games ever. My oldest son is always asking me what my favorite game is, and I play a lot of different games. My answer is always Total War!!
    I AM TOTAL WAR!!

Thunder & Death are but a mere understatement...a footnote really...

War brings us closer...the clash of swords...the serrinade of the musket...and the sweet aroma of napalm in the morning.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubble gum"

"Chuck Norris's monitor has no glare...nothing glares at Chuck Norris and lives."

Steam ID: JonFett \ |Takeda| Tada Mitsuyori

Senior Member Corporal

I have no problem at all with pre-order incentives or DLC as long as I can take out my wallet and buy them all with only having to purchase 1 copy of the game.

I want CA to make money and produce more games. Just give me a reasonable option to buy all the content available. The inability to get the Napoleon units has left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth. I want to give you my money for the DLC and you won't take it.

Senior Member Brigadier

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Rhino View Post
    By us, the retailer and the customer you mean the retailer?

Exclusivity NEVER benefits the customer - can't see how it benefits you either to be honest. Your retailers should be tripping over themselves to promote and distribute your game becasue it is money for jam - you aren't some unproven indy dev - you have a fanbase and proven trackrecord. Get yourself a new distribution manager because he clearly hasn't negotiated a very good deal for you.

Other than that I completely agree with everything you've said and I'm thoroughly looking forward to buying FoTS (on release, not preorder) and as much DLC as humanly possible! I love giving you guys money because you make great games
    THIS^

ofcoruse it wont be a big deal if they are all released as DLC later but as dionysius the mighty has already pointed out CA doesnt have a perfect track record of always doing that. and saying "over time it is possible that exclusive pre-order content becomes widely available as DLC." doesnt exactly boost my confedence that it ever will.

Senior Member Brigadier

Thanks for the clear explanation. :-)

I for one love DLC. The fact it comes at a later date is also a bonus. It keeps the game fresh. I have played the latest CIV over and over again simply because new factions came out, offering a different option each time. So, please, keep it coming.

Member Lance Corporal tin.knight's Avatar

Jack,
    i'm OK with this as long as "The Creative Assembly is in the great position of being able to continue making and expanding on award-winning games." Nobody else comes close! nobody does it better!

Moderator Master and Commander dge1's Avatar

Good, informative update. Thanks.
    A people without history is like wind on the buffalo grass - Sioux Proverb.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Senior Member Master and Commander Half Life Expert's Avatar

Thank you CA for addressing this issue directly, We all really appreciate it!
    I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"Don't break the rules and you won't get banned, simple as that" -CraigTW on the HATG Thread

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

"A Strange Game. The only winning move is not to play"- W.O.P.R from Wargames (1983)

The WWI Thread: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...emed-total-war

Senior Member Sergeant

CA, Shogun 2: Total War is my first CA game I have ever owned. I hope more gaming companies can learn from this, being so truthful, honest and I highly respect that. I will definitely buy more games from you guys because the amount of effort, listening, and asking the community for improvement is vastly superior to many other gaming companies. The improvement; especially, in Shogun 2's MP (I play a lot) is outstanding and while there are room for improvements, I still enjoy it.

Thank you CA as a first costumer for your product, please keep up the integrity and the great work you guys do!

Senior Member Master and Commander ranknfile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysius the Mighty View Post
    Nice info there Jack, although there is one follow up question that I and many others would like you to ask;

When, if ever, are we likely to see the missing Napoleon Total War units released?

Currently NTW players are missing between two and eight units that were Napoleon's pre order incentives. These units require pretty much zero development work because they already exist, they just need to be bundled into a pack like ETW's Special Forces and Pre Order DLC. I know a lot of people are uneasy about pre ordering Fall of the Samurai because of their experience of Napoleon's unreleased pre order content, certainly for me, the thought that the content I don't choose now will never be available again actually makes my choice of which to get a lot harder.
    GOOD MAN DtM! ONCE MORE INTO THE BREECH!

(keep at 'em mate!)

Junior Member Private

Please refer to 'Dionysius the Mighty' post for my basic thoughts.

I have been a TW customer from original Shogun days, and will not be buying any new titles or DLC until I am confident that something I buy will have long lasting support and ALL content is available to buy/download. At the moment CA seem to be just interested in the latest new shiny toy (which isn't that great imho).

Is it that difficult to at least tell people if extra product will ever come out/released for (not so old) titles? Until then my Steam account remains closed to CA.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

A little afterthought.
    Instead of wasting time making 'noddy' christmas screensavers for Shogun 2 couldn't the time have been better spent producing something the customers actually wanted?
    Last edited by MartNickV1; 01-23-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast