Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to install on a different PC?

Junior Member Private

Exclamation How to install on a different PC?

I have all the TW games so far (back to Shogun), and this is the first time I had do deal with Stream.
    I won't go into how much time - several hours with a good internet connection!!! - it took me to install the games (Napoleon and Empire) as it's already been discussed (and rightly complained about), or the fact the you must be connected to install!
    My problem is with the activation key. I have multiple PCs (home, work, notebook on the road). When I tried to install on a second PC it told me "activation key already used". Which is correct - "BY ME", the owner of the license - I also provided user name, email and psw, so why can't I provide that again to install the game again?
    What happens when I format the PC or upgrade to a new one?

Bottom line how do I install and play on my different machines?
    I'm really hoping I'm not forced to a one single install, not even Microsoft does that

P.S. Is this the right place to get feedback from SEGA?

P.P.S. when I bought the game on Amazon there was (is, as of today) no information on the requirement for internet connectivity

Junior Member Private

As far as I'm aware, if you're logged into steam on the second computer, it should recognise the fact you've already paid.

So I would try:

a) Install Steam on second computer
    b) Log into Steam on second computer
    c) Install Empire/Napoleon

Should work

Junior Member Private

Thanks. I think I know what happened.
    On the home computer my kid installed Napoleon before me, with a different account name.
    Do you know if I can have two Steam accounts on the same PC for two different games? Or do I have to erase one and have the same one on both PCs? (Do I hate Steam or do I hate it?!? )
    I was really looking forward to Shogun II, but if it's on Steam I'll pass, pity.

Thanks for your help . Do you by any chance know how to fix the mouse that no longer scrolls on the campaign map?

hello, if I understand well ...
    the steam keeps track of multiple users in separate folders and it gives the option to switch users. on my home, I have three users on the same computer with different games, but empire tw, for example, is installed separately on each machine(two)...

Junior Member Private

Thanks!
    I'll try to understand how to create a new (me) Steam user on my other PC and install Empire under my user name and not my kid's (under which we installed Napoleon).

+ Reply to Thread