Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The most powerful faction

Senior Member Colonel Hannibal Barca's Avatar
    Killing your threads *cough*( Dublin Ireland)

You are correct, I thought using phalanx formation automaticaly changed the formation to tight formation. This seems like a interesting tactic in the right circumstances. I will look out for times where it may be benificial

Senior Member Colonel flamingryu30's Avatar

gotta admit i havent found it helpful in any situation except for one once as greece my troops were getting it handed to em by urbans and all i had was some hoplites and well greek cav with my general struggling to regroup the routing men and also aiding the still standing men in the fight. i brought all but 3 units back putting the others in loose formation then in phalanx and put them in different spots to take up the most space possible well thanks to the space between them the rate of losses dropped drastically and bought a ton of time to regroup and eventually readjusted my strategy and beat down the romans by separating their units and coming behind them with units of hoplites it went fairly well after that. hope that helps u bud

I reckon the Britons would fair very badly against this tactic, they have no way of taking out the hoplites and the slingers are completely protected by them. But in if the other faction has phalanxes you have to be very careful as you will be cut to pieces if they engage yours in loose formation.

Senior Member Colonel flamingryu30's Avatar

ya but like i said before they are spread out a good bit and takes a little to get them all

I'm very proud of myself for defeating a heavy chariot egyptian army today, I got my phalanxes to engage his infantry asap as we were fighting his chariots were about to hit my flanks. I brought my phalanxes around and impaled most of them. After that I turned around and wiped out the rest of the pharohs gaurd.

Senior Member Major Galvanized Iron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Itfan View Post
    And problem with cantabrian circle there is in SP and in MP.
    Unless you play on huge there is no cantabrian circle problem, just don't have them in skirmish mode, withdraw them manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Barca View Post
    I reckon the Britons would fair very badly against this tactic, they have no way of taking out the hoplites and the slingers are completely protected by them. But in if the other faction has phalanxes you have to be very careful as you will be cut to pieces if they engage yours in loose formation.
    Switching between loose and tight phalanx is done in an instant so its not a big deal. Also the factions you need to use loose phalanx against fields infantry inferior to Sacred Bands and Armoured Hoplites. Btw militia hoplites in loose phalanx is a common pila baiting tactic.

Very nice thianks for the tips Galvanized Iron I may very well use the weak Hoplites in loose formation as pila bait in the future

Junior Member Private

Default Macedon vs. Selucid vs. Egypt

its a very close fight between 3 factions Macedon,Egypt and the selucid empire. Why macedon u ask? their pikemen are unstoppable and have good selection of cavalry. egypt well i havent played as them but in the campaing they do well with spearmen and chariots.selucid is overall over ****** powered Elephants + pikes + hoplites=over powered but they have a very bad starting position u must get away from egypt or your empire will be crushed i suggest pushing inland taking over thrace or scythia probably the best way then build up and retake ur provinces pverall its a close call between those three egypts manpower selucids elephants and macedons pikemen but my overall is macedon i just love the pikes

Senior Member Corporal spoliaopima11's Avatar

Realistically, chariot warfare had started on a steep delcine after Alexander easily defeated them at Gaugamela. They were not nearly as mobile in real life like they are in RTW, and they could not be deployed anywhere else except on a very flat battlefield. Trained troops would just move out of the way since chariots were basically akin to a bullet coming out of a gun. Once the mounted horseman/archer proved effective, chariots all but disappeared, so to use chariots as an indicator of which faction is more powerful is a little bit of a stretch for this time period I think. The Romans had no trouble with scythed chariots at the battle of Magnesia against Antiochus III, and he also used camel archers, cataphracts, long-pike phalanxes, and elephants and he still got crushed.
    Last edited by spoliaopima11; 06-06-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Junior Member Private

I think the Romani shouldnt be discounted.. Their only lack is their lack of units effective against cavalry attack. If they only had a few hoplites!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast