Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with steam starting medieval 2/kingdoms please help

Junior Member Private

Question Problem with steam starting medieval 2/kingdoms please help

ok so i have had medieval 2 and all the other total war games except napoleon, and the first two games running through steam for around 2 years now and have never had a problem till recently. about a month and a half ago i started downloading another game through steam when i was bored and decided to continue my sicilian campaign in medieval 2. steam then proceded to tell me that they were changing the format of the game(or something along those lines) and it needed to do an update. i didnt feel like that so i pressed cancel and switched to offline mode to play it but it said it was now uninstalled i was pretty bummed about this but i was low on the gigs left my internet for the month so i passed it off and just played rome total war offline instead(because i didnt want the same thing to happen to rome).

Now here is when the headache started. I had a craving for some medieval action today so i bought kingdoms expansion and installed medieval 2 again(turns out it just found all the existing data and didnt download anything). At first it all runs smoothly but then i start getting problems with the launcher not connecting to the internet and it crashed the game and when i went to start it up again it said the game was already running so i looked online and ended the medieval launcher proccess with task manager and that never properly quits when i run steam online now so i have to end the process every single time i play. Then when i go offline everything works fine untill i press play in the launcher, then it just goes to the offline steam store(blank page saying steam is offline) and doesnt even start the game.

Sometimes i get another launcher opening up when i press play on the first one and this can even happen a second time.

i also have 'modded' the game i spose in the fact that i have made the unlockable faction playable from startup and changed the time setting thing in the desc_strat file from 2.00 to 1.00, if that makes a difference.

i have verified the cache for medieval 2 twice and that didnt change anything so i changed back the desc_strat file back to my previous setting above. i tried skipping the launcher and starting the game straight through the medieval2.exe but that didnt help either so i renamed the medieval2.exe file to Launcher.exe but that still didnt help.

has steam stuffed my game and how do i fix it? do i need to verify that i bought it legitimately so i can play offline or something? Any help would be much appreciated.

ps thx for reading all this for anyone that made it through haha.

Junior Member Private

i have also restarted steam and restarted my computer multiple times in both online and offline modes if that helps diagnose the problem.

I'm also getting the same exact problem.

I cant start medieval 2 offline.

Basically when i put steam into offline mode i try and launch medieval 2 but it just takes me to the steam window saying steam is in offline mode some help would be appreciated to be honest or a quick fix may be the only solution.

Medieval 2 still remains my Favourite game !.

Junior Member Private

yeah its sooooooo anoying i wish i could play the game, post if find something aye - i feel your ain haha

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop90 View Post
    I cant start medieval 2 offline.
    I'm having this problem as well, it has only started happening recently after I installed the Stainless Steel mod, online play works fine but its annoying

+ Reply to Thread