Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: untrained fugu + world weary + not having blade master = no more sword core

Hybrid View

Senior Member Corporal tricky-step's Avatar

Default untrained fugu + world weary + not having blade master = no more sword core

it's just that simple,

it's killing my usual sword core. i win many fights, but when I'm up against a high ranked player with naginata/spear spam and he has matchlocks sniping through his naginata attendants, its going to be extremely tough to win since my swords no longer have an emphatic advantage over spear units like they're supposed to have.

this isn't about bringing bows, or getting my own matchlocks to counter his, or maneuvering cav for hammer and anvils (which is becoming increasingly hard against rising spear spam armies)

this is about having my expensive swords getting nerfed to the point where the slight attack advantage (if they still have it after the nerf) losing to slightly weaker but well defensed spears that can tank all day long. and its just brutal if they pop a hold firm. its almost not worth to bring the good ol' sword core anymore since most experienced players will drop these killing retainers - untrained fugu and world weary

and i've been playing this game since launch and still don't have blade master >_>

Playing without blademaster is hard and use a sword core.

25 Attack is not enough? Decreased by world weary and Fugu u still have 22. And what bout the charge?

Dont expect to win vs spearwalls if you attack them frontal. Thats all.
    You want successfully arty camp in deploy zone? Go ahead and get your win.

Senior Member Corporal BeardyMcJohnFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoritomo View Post
    Playing without blademaster is hard and use a sword core.

25 Attack is not enough? Decreased by world weary and Fugu u still have 22. And what bout the charge?

Dont expect to win vs spearwalls if you attack them frontal. Thats all.
    i assume you're counting sword units dripping with clan tokens and using stand and fight yeah? not exactly an option for many out there and certainly isn't a situation that's fair for all, and even in that situation, 22att for a ~1100koku unit that's only use is in melee v infantry is hardly adequate given the current stats of nag/spear units. stretched out nag attendants + counter charge will ruin the effectiveness of the sword unit's charge. add to that broken banzai...

I've got blade master and i'm finding swords barely worthwhile. they offer a slight melee advantage over naginata but they are just so fragile to ranged and cav charges that the tiny melee payoff hardly seems worth it. i couldn't begin to imagine how useless they'd be fugu-ed, WW-ed and without blade master, against HF spears...
    Last edited by BeardyMcJohnFace; 03-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Senior Member Captain (Darkelf) Temper's Avatar

I saw this coming the day of the patch and cut loose most of my Katana/Nodachi and invested in Naginata Samurai ASAP.

While the lack of retainers on my behalf and the use of negative retainers on me played a huge factor in the decision,it was also infuenced by the utmost disgust I have for cheap spear/naginata units that are used by a lot of leader generals allowing them to field an elite cavalry,ranged and small sword core if they want.

I figured if I'm gonna lose,I may as well take troops that take longer to die in combat....if there is any left by the time they hit combat haha. =)

Player skill being equal,your best chance of consistantly beating cheap spear/naginata Leader users ,is to become a user yourself.But that rubs me the wrong way,so I won't.

Yoritomo,while I agree with your statement,I also would like to add however that,it's easier said than done sometimes,while your manouvering to get around them,your opponents basically getting free shots.It's not often I find a flank or rear without its own spearwall.

Your a much better player than I and your advice is always welcome,it's just not always possible for lesser players to adhere too.

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by tricky-step View Post
    it's just that simple,

it's killing my usual sword core. i win many fights, but when I'm up against a high ranked player with naginata/spear spam and he has matchlocks sniping through his naginata attendants, its going to be extremely tough to win since my swords no longer have an emphatic advantage over spear units like they're supposed to have.
    QFT. I've basically retired my level nine katanas and bring my naginatas instead. Heck, I've started bringing yari samurai over my katana samurai because they aren't that much worse and can fight cavalry too. And I also have no blade master =(

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

spread out more haha, people usualy try to charge headfront into a formation..... remember gun take quite a while to set up.....
    gn = <g) gensou If you want to 1v1 message me :0, need to find more good player to play with :0 to improve .

Senior Member Sergeant-Major Arcanum's Avatar

You;re complaining about this NOW? I can only imagine your seething rage before they nerfed World Weary.
    Ave Dominus Nox.

Senior Member Corporal BeardyMcJohnFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Darkelf) Temper View Post
    Your a much better player than I and your advice is always welcome,it's just not always possible for lesser players to adhere too.
    I'd go beyond that... Suggesting it's the fault of the person that his lack of micro means his 17att 1100 koku swords can't win in a melee against 20+melee def HF spears is beyond unhelpful and doesn't actually address game balance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
    You;re complaining about this NOW? I can only imagine your seething rage before they nerfed World Weary.
    WW has been nurfed, but so have swords so the overall effect is still similar...

@tricky-step
    I was in this position until recently and i also play this game since spring last year so i know the feeling of not having Blade Master (no world weary either). I got Blade Master a week ago finally, all you need to do is to play and wait, it will come at some point.

But when i didn't had it i was always looking at the bright side, yes there is a bright side, this was stimulating me to find other solutions and ways to get around this handicap and i very often did won against equally skilled opponents even with my significant retainer disadvantage and i believe this made me a bit of a better player over time.
    Visit my YouTube channel for my most recent multiplayer battle replays and let's play campaigns

The expert in battle seeks his victory from strategic advantage and does not demand it from his men

Senior Member Corporal tricky-step's Avatar

how many vet slots do i get if i prestige to 10 gold? im at 54 slots right now full of 9 chev swords (and other units) and i don't want to delete them - but i have no room for new nag units

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast