Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the best army build up?

Member Lance Corporal aceskipper's Avatar

Cool What is the best army build up?

What are the best units to have in an army and how many of each?
    "Bonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year."
    -Horatio Nelson

Senior Member Colonel

There is no "perfect" army, it's how you use it hence strategy. A good balanced army can switch between any situation rapidly. This is what I came up with when I came back to NTW

Russia

1 General
    4 Mounted Sharpshooters
    2 Jaegar (Light Infantry)
    4 Line Infantry
    4 Guard Infantry
    4 Artillery batteries

This is a pretty good build considering Russian strategy in this game but if you want to change do it. I like the fact that the mounted skirmishers have a bigger unit than most cavalry and they can chase down infantry just as well as any cavalry. They also can shoot while mounted or dismounted which gives them a whole new realm of possibilites from killing your enemies cavalry by skirmishing to moving in to support and flank a infantry charge. For artillery I recomend the horse artillery just because it can move quickly. Most people use rockets and that's fine if your enemy is ******ed. Most of the battles online for NTW is all about "NO ARTILLERY... BECAUSE IT RUINS MY SPAM OF LIGHTS" I got real tired of this and quit because of it. If you are looking at single player, the key is the artillery and supports. Just use canister and have some good line infantry and you can win every battle. The guards are there to look nice... really. That's about all I use them for. Most battles I let my regulars and artillery do the talking while my guards sit back and drink vodka. Online, they more than make up for the cost as the added bonus for Russia, they have better melee and charge. If you want to lower the cost use Grenediers, basically the same thing but with a smaller unit size. Remember, it's all about the strategy you use

Ok cheers, ill take this on board.
    "Bonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year."
    -Horatio Nelson

The Russians don't have the best troops but have 20 pounder artillery so I'm not always using it, only if im in a good arty battle. The British and French however have good troops so I stick to using them. The 88th foot connaut rangers are very good.
    -Horatio Nelson

+ Reply to Thread