Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Never before experienced error message!

Junior Member Private

Default Never before experienced error message!

Ok so I've played Rome and Barbarian Invasion plenty of times before on my desktop without any sort of trouble but decided to uninstall about a year ago. Today however i decided i wanted to re-install Rome Total War. It installed quickly and had no problems i decided not to install Gamespy arcade and made a shortcut.

The problem came when i decided to try and play the actual game I've tried launching from both desktop shortcut and game disc menu but a small window comes up saying that 'RomeTW.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'. when i look into the error report it says that the following files are included
    'C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\8d2c_appcompat.t xt'

Would be really nice to play Rome again sometime so please help if possible. Thanks.

Junior Member Private TheCrusader's Avatar

just google it: docume locals temp error...you must find on google how to resolve it

Junior Member Private

Checked it up already but nothing seems to come up, i decided to remove it from my computer after all this fuss and re-install it to see if it helps at all.

This brought a second problem it says about halfway through the download that 'data transfer was unsuccessful'. ??

Any ideas?

Try this as it seems that your Temporary Files are quite messed up:

1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

2. Click OK on your "C" drive.

3. Make sure everything on the list is checked except for Office Setup Files and Compress Old Files.

4. Click OK (or next). Windows will clean itself up.

if this it`s not working,i don`t know...

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    Try this as it seems that your Temporary Files are quite messed up:

1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

2. Click OK on your "C" drive.

3. Make sure everything on the list is checked except for Office Setup Files and Compress Old Files.

4. Click OK (or next). Windows will clean itself up.

if this it`s not working,i don`t know...
    well recently ive been a victim to hacking maybe through playing internet games like League of Legends and when i was younger downloading anything that looked remotely interesting.

In short all desktop shortcuts were removed and all files have been hidden somewhere apart from those vital to the running of the computer as they must be protected. i know all the files are still on their as i find them soon enough when using the search tool and looking in 'all files and folders', only problem now is that the disk cleanup tool doesnt want to get get past 'Scanning: Compress old files' it did highlight that it may take a few minutes but its been in the same situation for about half an hour now.

Junior Member Private

Lol just started to work out ty for info ill see how it works out

Junior Member Private

Soooo annoyingly enough i used your info to clean up the C: drive apart from the files you mention and used the repair command on setup menu for Rome, after restarting my computer and relaunching the game it went back to its old ways

Error message popped up again but the file concerned in the error message has been changed :

C:\DOCUME~1\DANIEL\LOCALS~1\Temp\cfef_appcompat.tx t

Any ideas whats gone wrong this time, or why the concerned folder has changed. perhaps the whole C: drive should be checked in C: drive - but i wouldn't know the effects of it.

If anyone can help, thanks.

then i dk,srry...the best option it would be to reinstall your windows...

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    then i dk,srry...the best option it would be to reinstall your windows...
    thanks for your time anyhow

+ Reply to Thread