Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Same nationality Marines fighting each other?

Senior Member Field-Marshall Morgothic's Avatar

I'm suprised none of the reviewers have picked up on this... attention to detail in the way of a pop-up or desertion should rate the game up, and ignorance of this sort of thing would rate it down. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Fast like the wind,
    Silent like a forest,
    Intrusive like the fire,
    Immobile like a mountain,
    Under heaven and earth, I alone am feared.
    -Takeda Shingen

Member Lance Corporal Imperatur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mjau View Post
    I don't think it's so akward that a bunch of American, Brittish or French fight their contrymen; they are mercinaries, the fight, they get paid. Don't fight, don't get any payment. Beside that, it's a game!

But the problem is that they aren't mercenaries and the game doesn't treat them as such. They are units of their national government's armed forces that are loaned to a faction as a reward for services rendered. They aren't just roaming the Japanese countryside selling themselves out to the highest bidder. True it is a game but since it is depicting a historical period some gamers desire more historical detail than others. Those who don't care either way shouldn't be bothered by the addition of some more realism so long as it doesn't affect gameplay in a detrimental way.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

No offense to the marines or anything, but thanks to human nature, no one is perfectly incorruptible. It's possible for anyone in the military to be tempted to defect whether by money, promises of power, or for some complicated issue wherein they lose sight of the original cause they were fighting for. Famously enough, in American history in the Revolutionary War there was Benedict Arnold, who before being a traitor was revered for his valor and ability to command by even George Washington, yet a bunch of lesser men at the time were granted promotions and whatnot ahead of Arnold by the Continental Congress, he sold out to the British, losing sight of what he originally fought for, becoming unenamored with the lack of respect for his efforts. There's no reason such a thing could not happen to a marine. Is it highly unlikely because of their intense training perhaps proving at the very least love of country? While a reasonable argument in favor of the long proven motto in the corps: semper fidelis, let's be honest about one thing please. No one is perfectly incorruptible.

Senior Member Sergeant yoshisuke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rayrox222 View Post
    No offense to the marines or anything, but thanks to human nature, no one is perfectly incorruptible. It's possible for anyone in the military to be tempted to defect whether by money, promises of power, or for some complicated issue wherein they lose sight of the original cause they were fighting for. Famously enough, in American history in the Revolutionary War there was Benedict Arnold, who before being a traitor was revered for his valor and ability to command by even George Washington, yet a bunch of lesser men at the time were granted promotions and whatnot ahead of Arnold by the Continental Congress, he sold out to the British, losing sight of what he originally fought for, becoming unenamored with the lack of respect for his efforts. There's no reason such a thing could not happen to a marine. Is it highly unlikely because of their intense training perhaps proving at the very least love of country? While a reasonable argument in favor of the long proven motto in the corps: semper fidelis, let's be honest about one thing please. No one is perfectly incorruptible.
    Yup, I agree with you. Ezo republic was co-founded by a French officer who deffected the army when his commanders asked him to stop because the french army was officialy training the imperial army. So there were french in both sides of the conflict. (even if I don't think the french army fought alongside the imperial army, just rained them.)

Member Lance Corporal Imperatur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rayrox222 View Post

I agree with your comments completely but they are irrelevant to this issue.

Junior Member Private

In this preview you can see that you can decide if you want to build a French/American/British trade post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7gm4diPOL8#t=8m23s
    I doubt they really prevented same nationality fights from happening. I am OK with it, but still I'd be pleasantly surprised if it wasn't possible! I guess it's all a bit abstracted anyway, I mean you can DECIDE which nation should help you and they just send as many troops, heavy ships etc as you can pay for.

I have a feeling It's going to be highly unlikely the situation would come into play anyway... unless you and a friend planned it!
    Fast like the wind,
    Silent like a forest,
    Intrusive like the fire,
    -Takeda Shingen

Member Lance Corporal A_Parked_Car's Avatar

Seeing two sets of the same nationality marines fighting each other will certainly throw me straight out of any sense of immersion. I really hope that CA thought of this, but I have a feeling they didn't.
    "This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years." (Speaking of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919) - Ferdinand Foch

"I'm not here to tell you all of the answers. Rather, I'm here to merely get you acquainted with the questions." (Speaking of the study of history.) - Dr. David C. Wright

Banned Lance Corporal Marshall Davout's Avatar

I'm not sure that will happen really. Other clans could use different regiments.

This issue is really causing a stir in the community... if CA didn't implement any such feature as mentioned above then see this... well, they aren't going to be very happy with themselves.
    Fast like the wind,
    Silent like a forest,
    Intrusive like the fire,
    -Takeda Shingen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast