Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It seems that no matter how much coins I have I end up with negative $

Junior Member Private

Default It seems that no matter how much coins I have I end up with negative $

I don't know what to do when this happens so I start a new game but that never helps. I know you have to pay ALL your troops even when they are stationed but anyone know how to fix this legitly?

Senior Member Corporal Pope Innocent III's Avatar

hire less troops would be main advise. also note that mercenaries have a higher upkeep cost than normal soldiers so be careful if you have a lot of those stationed. if necessary, higher them for a battle and ditch them asap.

/e: what actually happens if you have negative florins? i have never been in the red for more than 1 turn.
    Last edited by Pope Innocent III; 03-25-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    Fortune favors the audacious.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedDude101 View Post
    I don't know what to do when this happens so I start a new game but that never helps. I know you have to pay ALL your troops even when they are stationed but anyone know how to fix this legitly?
    What I tend to do in the early years of a campaign is Build up my infrastructure and resources buildings, Make trade routes with neighbouring provinces and alliances with those who might pose a serious threat eg, those factions with a large army. This way you can avoid conflict too early on in the game, build up your economy so that you have a decent income to recruit decent troops later on in the game.

Also note that you can garrison certain troops inside a castle or city (sorry I forgot which) for free (no upkeepcost) that's how I play recruit units and garrison them for free, just in case I need them later or to defend from attack also Keep your border provinces with hostile factions gurded by an army this will prevent the AI attaking you if you have a strong enough force.

Senior Member Corporal crimson_shade's Avatar

^this. build up economy until you can sport a full stack or 2, then the steamrolling starts. the more you fight->more money->more troops->more fighting.... (rinse and repeat). the only time this system is upset is when the pope sticks his nose where his business isn't and stops the fighting.

as for the free units, in the normal game it's only a couple city units garrisoned inside cities. i'm guessing that the amount of units that are free is probably based on how large that city is.
    • Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    • Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    • Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
    Sun Tzu

Senior Member Master and Commander Tyer032392's Avatar

I never had problems with finances. Make sure that rebels are not raiding your road networks and that your harbors are not being blockaded as that will in the long run cause you to loose money.
    Rome 2 Divide et Imperia guide for beginners.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...02#post1162802

My PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.5 Ghz overclocked
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 Superclocked edition @ 4 Gigs of VRAM
    RAM: 16 Gigs of G-Skill Aries 1333
    PSU: Haswell Gold 750W
    SSHD: 1 Terabyte Seagate SSHD
    SSD: 128 Gigs Intel SSD

rebels are the worst. in the mod im playing after like 3 turns of rebels sitting on a road not only will they block all trade, they will cause close to 1000 in devastation that takes like 10-15 turns to go away. costs me so much money in the long run..

Senior Member Corporal crimson_shade's Avatar

15 runs...that's 5-7+ years, that mods taking it a little too far. i can see why it would be more realistic to up the consequences of letting rebels sit on your territories but 15 turns of devastation...

oh, and another important thing to know. what faction are you playing as? because if it's scotland/protugal and you think you're gonna teach the english/spanish a thing or two too early in the game, you're gonna go bankrupt quick trying to support that war. one suggestion is don't building economic upgrades and at the same time be making large expenditures. you have to wait for your economy to build up and pay back the initial investment the building cost before you can really take it away.
    • Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    • Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    • Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
    Sun Tzu

its a little annoying in the early game, but with most factions i have 100k+ but turn 60-70 so it isnt all that big on an issue. sucks with poland or the teutons who have high upkeep units and don't make very much money to start with. i guess the game wants me to play france or one of the italian factions..

if you are playing portugal as crimson mentioned, you don't wanna fight the spanish first anyways. u can usually take cordoba and zaragosa in 7-8 turns then build a small navy to sit in the straits of gibralter to stop the moors from getting reinforcements by land. you should be financially set before too long wiith that method.

Senior Member Master and Commander Tyer032392's Avatar

Here is something to consider when you are lacking money.

1. Are your mines upgraded or built? They is some cases can increase a settlements income by +500 to +1000 on the lowest level.

2. Are your farms upgraded? Farms will increase the rate that your city grows and also increase the taxation income of a city as well.

3. Are your cities walls upgraded? When you upgrade a city wall to the next level, not only does it increase the siege time, but also the taxation income as well.

4. Do you have a ration of three cities to one castle? A city is the gold income production center and also recruits certain agents as well. Castles are your military fortifications and will not provide a great income.

5. Are you making use of natural resources via merchants? If you have a merchant over a natural resource, than he will increase your income profits.

6. Are your ports and warehouses upgraded as each increases the maximum of +1 merchant fleet by one.

7. What is the religion of your region? If you are a catholic nation and there is Islam in your regions, than your income will become negative as it will decrease the happiness of your settlements.

I hope that this helps you.
    Rome 2 Divide et Imperia guide for beginners.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...02#post1162802

My PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.5 Ghz overclocked
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 Superclocked edition @ 4 Gigs of VRAM
    RAM: 16 Gigs of G-Skill Aries 1333
    PSU: Haswell Gold 750W
    SSHD: 1 Terabyte Seagate SSHD
    SSD: 128 Gigs Intel SSD

+ Reply to Thread