Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: about rocket artilery

Default about rocket artilery

I'm pretty sure you people know that most games ban this kind of arty and the unicorns of the Russians. However what are your thoughts on them? Do you find them really that overpowered? How should we counter them (they have ridiculous accuracy and deal a lot of morale damage)?

Help, comments, opinions

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by lubi125 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you people know that most games ban this kind of arty and the unicorns of the Russians. However what are your thoughts on them? Do you find them really that overpowered? How should we counter them (they have ridiculous accuracy and deal a lot of morale damage)?

Help, comments, opinions
    People who bring those are usually really bad at the game and can be defeated easily. Even if they are half good, I usually just never brings artillery, rushes, and destroys them. They rage quit once their artillery is gone, when the only way they think they can win is destroyed.
    Besides, even Unicorns can't kill enough men to make the cost worthwhile.

Banned Corporal

Maybe you should try this instead.

http://www.thelordz.org/forum/viewto...?f=138&t=13302

Quote Originally Posted by Pinxit View Post
    People who bring those are usually really bad at the game and can be defeated easily. Even if they are half good, I usually just never brings artillery, rushes, and destroys them. They rage quit once their artillery is gone, when the only way they think they can win is destroyed.
    Besides, even Unicorns can't kill enough men to make the cost worthwhile.
    Yeah I get your point, I use to run no art too, but when they pump out canister after canister at your troops it's not the most pretty of sights. I feel like sometimes I need art in other to compete with the opponent's massive art. So how much would you recommend of art?

one setup I use is (British) 1 6lbr horse art and 1 9lbr canon, the other setup I have is the same thing but with a howitzer. It just really sucks to have art inferiority, seeing your men getting blown back by shells and canonballs is not nice, at all.

Senior Member Corporal

Yeah I get your point, I use to run no art too, but when they pump out canister after canister at your troops it's not the most pretty of sights. I feel like sometimes I need art in other to compete with the opponent's massive art. So how much would you recommend of art?

one setup I use is (British) 1 6lbr horse art and 1 9lbr canon, the other setup I have is the same thing but with a howitzer. It just really sucks to have art inferiority, seeing your men getting blown back by shells and canonballs is not nice, at all.

Depends on the map.

But I would say this:

Either you bring artillery superiority, or you don't bring artillery at all. Having one artillery piece will only slow down the rest of your army while getting shot at by the enemy's superior artillery. You need to close the distance fast and flank, flank, flank. Then flank some more. Don't ever attack head on canisters, but instead force him to redeploy his artillery and exploit any angles and terrain you possibly can. But most of all for me when I play, it always comes down to this: SPEED. Hit him, and hit him fast. Doesn't really matter if you take some losses, once you get up close you will still have superior numbers, and if you have approached his army in a beneficial way, he will die.

If I ever bring artillery, it will be nothing but howies, two of them. Especially on terrain heavy maps like Homestead, Syrian Ridge, Italian Grassland, etc.

I would suggest some 4-5 skirmishers, 6 line infantry, 1-2 elite line infantry, and the rest cavalry and artillery of your choosing depending on map and tactics to be used.
    Last edited by Pinxit; 03-31-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Those are very good points you make there, especially your art superiority or no art mentality.
    I like howies, but I love bouncing cannonballs in enemy ranks, this adds to the fact that field guns have more range than howies.

With the Brits, I run:

4-5 light infantry, 0-1 riflemen, 4-5 Foot, 1-2 KGL, 2 Heavy cav, 1 light cav, 1 horse art, 1 foot art and 0-1 howie

Senior Member Corporal

Those are very good points you make there, especially your art superiority or no art mentality.
    I like howies, but I love bouncing cannonballs in enemy ranks, this adds to the fact that field guns have more range than howies.

With the Brits, I run:

4-5 light infantry, 0-1 riflemen, 4-5 Foot, 1-2 KGL, 2 Heavy cav, 1 light cav, 1 horse art, 1 foot art and 0-1 howie
    Here are my suggestions:

You would want to replace the 2 KGL with 2 guard units (Coldstream and Foot Guards will do) as they inspire nearby troops and give them increased morale (use on flanks or in center). Especially use some guard units if you do not use a historical general.

If you must have heavy cavalry, at least limit them to 1 as they are expensive, slow and not particularly effective anyway. Use light cav instead. Especially as the Brits which strength lies in infantry. Maximize the strengths and limit the weaknesses = bring really good infantry and limit the cavalry.

Round shots were historically very poor at killing men, at least after the number of ranks in a regiments decreased and the lines became thinner. This would have occurred after 1631 when Gustavus Adolphus demonstrated the effectiveness of having thin lines of infantry rather than the more thick square like formations. Same is true for the game. Most players in NTW, if they are fairly good, will form their line infantry in 2 ranks deep. This means that one roundshot will only be able to kill about 2 men with each shot. Compare this to the howie which can kill some 5-15 men with one shot. Roundshots are worthless at killing infantry (unless you manage to shoot into a regiments flank, but if you manage to do that your opponent is so bad it doesn't really matter what you do).
    Last edited by Pinxit; 03-31-2012 at 10:48 PM.

I just got my **** kicked by a guy spamming **** Ottoman 18lbr canons that just kept pumping out canister and even sniped my General, ridiculous! The worse is, he actually was semi-decent to not allow me to outflank him and get out of the canons firing arc

Member Lance Corporal aceskipper's Avatar

Don't get so annoyed because people have rockets. The people who have them are usually new to the game because they fail on land battles. They are good on naval battles because they can set fire to ships which is very hard to counter however on land its only really morale that affected. The unicorns I must say are annoying because of both range and power however they are expensive so your opponent can only have a few 20 pounders and the 10 pounders aren't that great anyway. The Russians don't have brilliant troops though so a swift cavalry charge should be enough to take out the unicorns just watch out for stakes. Don't bother saying no arty because watching an army marching along towards an enemy whilst under arty fire is what makes the game impressive.
    "Bonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year."
    -Horatio Nelson

Member Lance Corporal aceskipper's Avatar

When I first started playing i didn't realize what no art meant so i got a MASSIVE army just with 12 pounders. The host got annoyed and rage quit after I blasted his general.
    "Bonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year."
    -Horatio Nelson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast