Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I just can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrazyCat View Post
    beating up on weaker skilled players, and kicking high level players is a bad idea. srsly I've been kick in almost every game cuz im a gold lvl 10 in S2. And those players arent gonna learn from playing with people with less experience.
    I know we've had our differences but that's good advice.
    Always a good thing to play with/against people from whom there's something to learn.

Senior Member Lieutenant MrBoBo1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damadman228 View Post
    Indeed it can be a challenge to deal with opponents who can bring better and more retainers and who have more unit variety. But again: if you have skill, you can overcome that. That's what every new player has to go through, so those defeats should teach you something if you want to be successful.
    I think, in the last week or two of playing, only once have I ever seen a really low star (one) player beat a higher star player. This player admitted he was a long time Total War player before Shogun 2.

Senior Member Major i like TW games's Avatar

You ''win'' by having a good game in Shogun 2, not just by being the one who gets the ''victory'' screen at the end.

There are probably dozens of ways that you can get a win in Shogun 2 and not even fight your enemy, so as long as you get a good battle an honorable opponent, you have ''won'' just by having a good time.

And if the clan tokens are the things that you have a problem getting, don't worry about it, you don't even need them to make a good veteran. They are to expensive anyway.

Senior Member Field-Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    I think, in the last week or two of playing, only once have I ever seen a really low star (one) player beat a higher star player. This player admitted he was a long time Total War player before Shogun 2.
    Being a TW veteran doesn't have to matter as S2 plays very differently with its rock paper scissors mechanics. You have to develop your skill based on these mechanics to win. That's why I recommended watching gameplay videos with commentary. They were very helpful to me and are probably the reason I won more battles than I lost right from the start.

Senior Member Lieutenant BengalTiger's Avatar

Right, so what you really want to do is go to the battle list and pair up with a group of other players. The level of these other player's avatar, is really what matters most (contrary to what some might profess). Example: an average player with a 10 Gold avatar on ultra funds can take on 2 mid/high level Bronze avatars without breaking a sweat (or barely looking at the screen - never mind which camera they might be using). On that note, do not be fooled by the number of stars. There is a universe of difference between a level 0 Bronze and a level 0 Gold (contrary to what some players might tell you, in order to get you to concede a loss to them).

Whatever you do, keep away from Matchmaker, untill you are at least level 7 Bronze - you will be either losing your way to the top, or quitting the game otherwise.

Perhaps i miss the point, but you will never win vs some few people in this game. Careless what you do, by time you learn the names. See the stats, pre-battle, some are realy unnatural.

My advice to every real newbie i met:
    Host room in battle list naming the max limit of bronze stars you want. Kick everyone out who is 2 Stars above you or who has more than double your victories/Clantokens. At about 400 Victories / Clantokens available to a player the game gets even matched.
    In a PvP RPG you dont expect to win as a Lvl 1 vs a Lvl 80, so be whise. Perhaps some "training" matches vs friends to help you through the first games.

gl&hf
    You want successfully arty camp in deploy zone? Go ahead and get your win.

Banned General

ULTRA FUNDS? only noobs play on that.

Playing with highly skilled players allow low lvls have reference in what to do to get better.

Moderator Master and Commander Hidden Gunman's Avatar

Stick to battle list for a while, stick to small or medium funds, watch replays, think about what worked and what didn't. Don't play MM or MP as if it is SP.

Don't be disheartended too much, there are some real monsters out there in mm, and more than a few who really do know what they are doing...it takes time and effort to become reasonable.

Good luck
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...

Member Lance Corporal DevlinXIII's Avatar

And uncheck the mixed avatars option, cuz ROTS unbalanced units will destroy anything u put up too even more.

Senior Member Field-Marshall

I think it all comes down to what your priorities are. If you just wanna play and have fun without getting very competitive, play against people of equal skill. If you wanna get better at the game watch commentaries and play vs better players, save the replays, watch and see why you lost. And if you face a high level player, never put the funds level on high or ultra. His vets will destroy you otherwise. Small funds are there to give low level players with low level units a numbers advantage, and I think it is balanced rather well. What's still unfair when playing on low funds is the number and quality of retainers as well as the actual skill level. The skill level is what you can do something about. I overcame and so can you if you really want to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast