Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I just can't win.

Hybrid View

Junior Member Private

Default I just can't win.

I've tried everything.

I've tried using a mixture of veterans and vanilla troops.
    I've tyried using Ashigaru and samurai
    I've tried samurai and monks
    I've tried ashigaru and monks
    I've tried flanking with cavalry
    I've tried baiting with light cav
    I've tried matchlock
    I've tried bows
    I always keep my flanks guarded
    I always make sure my missile troops are guarded
    I always make sure my ashigaru go in first and samurai second
    I always keep my general in range
    I use cooldowns when I need to

And yet the enemy player always smashes through my army like a hammer upon glass. I'm constantly put up against armies that are smaller than mine and yet somehow they will come out with such small casualties, I wonder if there was any point to me even trying to attack them.

Whenever I go into a game, even if I have all fresh "vanilla" infantry, the other guy always seems to have more than me. If I have 2 horse units, he has 4.

I'm constantly pitted against people who are thousands of ranks above me, regardless of my win/loss ratio.

I'm disheartened, I'm fed up and I'm bored of losing. I haven't had a victory in days. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Senior Member Captain (Darkelf) Temper's Avatar

Chin up mate,rome wasn't built in a day !

Sounds like early days.

Keep your head cool and learn from losses,now that replays are fixed. *crosses fingers*

Play some battlelist games with people your own avatar level.Ask people in game about their armies and friend them to discuss the game.

Things are tough to start and things get tougher further down the track,but by then you'll be a hardened general with many vets at your command.

Seek out Ares and Pariyas youtube channels.They have some good learning vids.Can find them in the lets play section.

Senior Member Lieutenant MrBoBo1's Avatar

Host a game saying "noobs only" and boot anyone with higher level stars.
    Most of the games I see are for lower than higher level games with newer players checking out the MP.
    Keep it below 4 stars and you shouldn't have to deal with tons of vet units and unlocks.

Banned General

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    Host a game saying "noobs only" and boot anyone with higher level stars.
    Most of the games I see are for lower than higher level games with newer players checking out the MP.
    Keep it below 4 stars and you shouldn't have to deal with tons of vet units and unlocks.
    beating up on weaker skilled players, and kicking high level players is a bad idea. srsly I've been kick in almost every game cuz im a gold lvl 10 in S2. And those players arent gonna learn from playing with people with less experience.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrazyCat View Post
    beating up on weaker skilled players
    I wouldn't say lower star players are less skilled. The people with more stars have an advantage that has very little to do with skill. Vet units and higher tier units. For a new player, aside from the skill diffrence, they also just have a huge dis-advantage in the units they are using. It makes sense to play with people who have roughly the same set of units and vet as you.

Senior Member Field-Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    I wouldn't say lower star players are less skilled. The people with more stars have an advantage that has very little to do with skill. Vet units and higher tier units. For a new player, aside from the skill diffrence, they also just have a huge dis-advantage in the units they are using. It makes sense to play with people who have roughly the same set of units and vet as you.
    Indeed it can be a challenge to deal with opponents who can bring better and more retainers and who have more unit variety. But again: if you have skill, you can overcome that. That's what every new player has to go through, so those defeats should teach you something if you want to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by damadman228 View Post
    Indeed it can be a challenge to deal with opponents who can bring better and more retainers and who have more unit variety. But again: if you have skill, you can overcome that. That's what every new player has to go through, so those defeats should teach you something if you want to be successful.
    I think, in the last week or two of playing, only once have I ever seen a really low star (one) player beat a higher star player. This player admitted he was a long time Total War player before Shogun 2.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrazyCat View Post
    beating up on weaker skilled players, and kicking high level players is a bad idea. srsly I've been kick in almost every game cuz im a gold lvl 10 in S2. And those players arent gonna learn from playing with people with less experience.
    I know we've had our differences but that's good advice.
    Always a good thing to play with/against people from whom there's something to learn.

Senior Member Field-Marshall

It sounds like you're quite unlucky regarding what opponents you face. It was actually quite recent that I ranked up myself (now I'm 9 star bronze) and I won 2 out of 3 battles from the get go, right now it looks like my ratio is imroving to 3 out of 4. Perhaps I can recommend watching some gameplay/advice videos online, I learned a lot from those.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major AggonyKing's Avatar

you got any replays of your latest games?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast