Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Take a look at this replay, please.

Default Take a look at this replay, please.

If you can spare a few minutes, I'd like some insight regarding this battle; I found it strange that my troops were routing with 100+ people in the unit (highest was 159/160).
    Attached Files

Senior Member Sergeant-Major iWarsaw's Avatar

You didn't have a very solid army, and you played a bad game. In the start I think you should of just tried to charge. The main problem was going back over the river, then charging head first into spears. You set up your spear men in a line which I think stopped your katanas and no dachi from charging through them so they probably just stopped at the line. You then had a unit of matchlock samurais firing on your left flank causing morale shock. You also had mounted gunners behind you shooting through your general into your lines. Once one of your units started to run it started a chain reaction. You're whole army fell at once. Once one unit started to run the unit next to it would of started to engage the unit it lost to. His cavalry charges would of done some morale shocks too. He was also holding firm, or what ever the Generals ability is. Heck, you didn't even start your general on a horse. :P Very bad move. His naginatas which you charged right into were also a higher level then all of your troops. You charged into your death. Oh, and when you retreating you allowed him to capture his melee and defense outpost. Again not a good choice when you charged into them as they were stationary. You should of taken some range. If you did you could of defended on the other side of the river at least. You really needed to of been able to flank around him with your no dachi, but his cavalry would of stopped that. A full melee army isn't going to work in single player. There are to many random variables you'll have to deal with. Perhaps if you had more units and less veterans. A heavy spear army. When I do a melee army spears always help.

I didn't look like you were a bad player. You looked like you could micro and macro a bit. I forget which is base control and which is unit control. You just need to improve your tactics. You did die with honor though!
    Last edited by iWarsaw; 04-06-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Senior Member Major i like TW games's Avatar

So replays work correctly now? They show EXACTLY the battle as it did happen when it was played?

And is this only in FOTS or in Shogun 2 as well? Or do the battles on the replay still play out differently then the actual battle?

@i like TW games: maybe, I haven't noticed any changes in this particular battle

@iWarsaw: - I took the melee dojo for myself shortly after our front lines clashed with the hidden attendants
    - I am puzzled because my general did not rout or die so my morale was still strong, there was no hammer & anvil he flanked only to shoot my general, I was actually winning the melee battle, my infantry units were all 120+ strong except for 1 katana sam which was 70-80. Amongst the first units to rout was a katana sam 159/160 strong. It's not the loss that I can't understand, it's the mass routing after we both sacrificed our cav. The general was actually the last to rout.
    It's just odd because there's no noticeable morale dump except for a warcry which can't cause a rout on its own when units are still strong and winning the melee battle.

Senior Member Corporal tricky-step's Avatar

how do i see the replay? im kinda new to this

Senior Member Major i like TW games's Avatar

After the battle, at the post battle screen you have to option to save a replay. You give it a name and save it.

Then in the main menu you find an option named watch replay.

Senior Member Field-Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by brvtvs View Post
    @i like TW games: maybe, I haven't noticed any changes in this particular battle

@iWarsaw: - I took the melee dojo for myself shortly after our front lines clashed with the hidden attendants
    - I am puzzled because my general did not rout or die so my morale was still strong, there was no hammer & anvil he flanked only to shoot my general, I was actually winning the melee battle, my infantry units were all 120+ strong except for 1 katana sam which was 70-80. Amongst the first units to rout was a katana sam 159/160 strong. It's not the loss that I can't understand, it's the mass routing after we both sacrificed our cav. The general was actually the last to rout.
    It's just odd because there's no noticeable morale dump except for a warcry which can't cause a rout on its own when units are still strong and winning the melee battle.
    I think your routing yari ash and nagi attendents weakened their morale as well as the fact that they were outclassed. They also kept your no-dachis from doing well since they didn't get the charge. That's basically half your army down the drain. Then they got matchlock fire to the rear and a warcry. They also had the inferior position. It's no surprise that even your better units routed in that situation. True, the biggest possible morale shocks didn't happen, but they weren't needed as everything else just stacked up.

EDIT: About the sword dojo: Your units didn't take it before well into the main engagement. You have to look at the mini map to see that. Your opponent had the bonus up until that point.

Junior Member Private

Default My opinion

I watched your replay and i see enemy general has scare enemies perk, and that general was almost always near your units that routed so fast.

So at the end your general was on stand and fight but atacked by enemy mounted gunners, some katana of yours were also under fire by matlock, and the other ones were near enemy general that had scare enemies, and also they were under enemy warcry.

I sugest watch replay and see enemy general position, he has scare enemies and maybe also a large aura that gives his army morale boost.

Senior Member Captain Sima Zhong Da's Avatar

I briefly watched the replay and I figured out the reason why your army died. Two words.

Melee blobbing.

You sent your Yari Ashigaru right into the enemy with spear wall on, thinking that you could grind out a win, but unfortunately for you, he had LV8 Naginata Samurai, which is a true and much more powerful spear wall. What your opponent wanted to do was to trap your troops into a direct frontal assault, and let his "naginata wall" grind out a win. LV4 Naginata Samurai is bad enough, LV8 is even worse.

The main reason why you lost was because you lost your ashigaru. Notice that your ashigaru were the first ones to leave the field, and that started the chain rout. Losing the cavalry battle and not hitting the back of the naginata line was a tactical mistake, but I'll leave it at that, since the light touch still gave the attacked from rear debuff for a while.

Your morale shock had almost nothing to do with the mounted gunners, who I thought should have been shooting into your back and not your general. If he did that earlier, you would surely have routed faster.

In fact, you were winning the battle before the ashigaru chain rout. Look at the enemy's left flank from his angle. Despite an inspired LV8 Naginata Samurai, he still is losing, and so is the Naginata Samurai beside him. Then your ashigaru rout. Then the exposed flank debuff kicks in. The friends routing debuff kicks in. The attacked from flank debuff kicked in. And coincidentally, warcry was activated. How can you not rout?

P.S: I notice you took the attack dojo a few seconds after the lines clashed, which is a waste since the charge bonus is no longer effective.
    Modern war is conducted against an out-group by powerful people who have an exaggerated opinion of themselves and their degree of morality, are overconfident, often have an illusion of control, enjoy taking risks and are almost always male. - Robert Trivers, Deceit and Self-deception

+ Reply to Thread