Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Abysmal FPS on campaign map

Member Lance Corporal Nichtswisser's Avatar

Default Abysmal FPS on campaign map

My PC is a good deal above the system requirements, yet the FPS on the campaign map are beyond terrible. The campaign map runs in my case @ around 15FPS, and that is a far cry from what is required to offer the eye the illusion of fluid movement.

win 7 64bit
    i5 2500k @ 4,2GHz
    HD 7950
    catalyst 12.3 (newest official driver)
    8GB DDR 3 Ram

Senior Member Lieutenant Tomb875's Avatar
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
    -Napoleon Bonaparte
    Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.
    -Sun Tzu (The Art of War)
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    -Sun Tzu (The Art of War)
    Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once."
    -Julius Caesar (II, ii, 32-37)

I'm not sure what poor performance has to do with freezes and crashes. As I see it, those are totally different issues. Without the freezes and crashes I would still only get around 15 FPS on the campaign map. And it's not like I run the game on a freaking C64. Most of the time I have stable 60FPS in battles with vsinc enabled and everything maxed out, it's just the campaign map which runs extremely poorly for some reason.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

Just for narrowing down the problem, did you try a new campaign to see whether it's related to a specific campaign ?

You could also try to find out whether it's CPU- or GPU related. For that, just look at the taskmanager for CPU utilization (only 1st core is relevant) and some GPU tool like Afterburner for GPU utilization. One is probably close to 100%. That would be the part to look for the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    Just for narrowing down the problem, did you try a new campaign to see whether it's related to a specific campaign ?

You could also try to find out whether it's CPU- or GPU related. For that, just look at the taskmanager for CPU utilization (only 1st core is relevant) and some GPU tool like Afterburner for GPU utilization. One is probably close to 100%. That would be the part to look for the problem.
    Look at the screenshot, there is the afterburner overlay in the left upper corner. The GPU usage was around 26%... Strange, I just loaded the game again and now I have +45 FPS on the campaign map and the GPU usage is around 95%.

It can't be the AMD power safe feature at fault here since than the first screenshot would show reduced clock speeds. Something isn't right here and that might be related to why the game freezes all the time. Guess I have to wail till creative fixes what they broke with the last patch.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Nichtswisser; 04-09-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by Nichtswisser View Post
    Look at the screenshot, there is the afterburner overlay in the left upper corner. The GPU usage was around 26%... Strange, I just loaded the game again and now I have +45 FPS on the campaign map and the GPU usage is around 95%.

It can't be the AMD power safe feature at fault here since than the first screenshot would show reduced clock speeds. Something isn't right here and that might be related to why the game freezes all the time. Guess I have to wail till creative fixes what they broke with the last patch.
    I am experiencing the same problem as you, and only since the FOTS patch.

9/10 load ups the campaign map will run at 10-15 fps. Battles run around 40fps with very little slow down.

On a rare occasion, I will load up the game and the Campaign map will be running at 40fps - but when I try to exit to windows I get a complete system lock up and have to hard reset.

People report this is caused by the AMD 7xxx series of GPU's, but I am running a Nvidia. So whatever the issue I don't think its driver related as it would be strange for this to be happening on two totally different GPU chips, with different drivers.

My sound, graphics and BIOS are completely up to date... and nobody seems to be able to fix this.

All drivers and BIOS up to date.

Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I am experiencing the same problem as you, and only since the FOTS patch.

9/10 load ups the campaign map will run at 10-15 fps. Battles run around 40fps with very little slow down.

On a rare occasion, I will load up the game and the Campaign map will be running at 40fps - but when I try to exit to windows I get a complete system lock up and have to hard reset.

People report this is caused by the AMD 7xxx series of GPU's, but I am running a Nvidia. So whatever the issue I don't think its driver related as it would be strange for this to be happening on two totally different GPU chips, with different drivers.

My sound, graphics and BIOS are completely up to date... and nobody seems to be able to fix this.

All drivers and BIOS up to date.
    Just updated my BIOS as there was a new release a few days ago, my first run of shogun 2 was really smooth.. campaign map was at a solid 40fps.

Played one naval battle, it was also great performance. went to play a land battle - SYSTEM CRASH.

Rebooted pc, fired up shogun... sloppy performance again.

I am clean out of idea's about what is causing this. Perhaps I am taking the easy option by passing blame on CA, but is there no way this could be a problem with the game itself and not peoples hardware?

Hardware wise, my specs are completely different from Nichtswisser - My CPU is an AMD FX, and my graphics are Nvidia... Yet we have the same problem. The only common denominator in this equation is Shogun 2.
    Last edited by scope; 04-12-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar.

Moderator Master and Commander Billy Ruffian's Avatar

Scope - do you have any mods installed?
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

Member Private

As of this moment I do not.

I remove pack files when they are not applicable to what I am doing - i.e I remove unit mods for the ROTS campaign if I am playing FOTS or vanilla.

I have a clean profile folder too, no custom scripts or anything.

I just played for a good 45 minutes, where the campaign ran smoothly to start with and slowly degraded over time becoming slower and slower.

It smells of a memory leak to me

Moderator Master and Commander Billy Ruffian's Avatar

Have you posted your Dxdiag anywhere?
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast