Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canon Ranges - first person

Senior Member Lieutenant BengalTiger's Avatar

Default Canon Ranges - first person

Not that i want to restart an old debate - but for those of you who did not know: in first person, a canon's range seems irrelevant (ie: you can shoot across the whole field... 550 range nothing, try 1000 range+). This certainly rattles a few folks when you start shooting at their troops in the back field at the start of the game.

Senior Member Corporal III IDOLIZE III's Avatar

1st person is AMAIZING! so easy to get kills lmao, if your good enough, and you practice in custom games, you can be getting 20+ kills per shot, with using little ammo, and at unlimited range

Senior Member Corporal

i'd be down for disabling this feature in MP. i don't like the outcome of battles to be dependant on who can use better artillery in first person. this should not be a "shooter game".

I think i agree with you Beauchamp. This feature nulls out the benefits of range upgrades on artillery, and exponentially increases the value of certain maps, tactics or units. Wodden canons, as an example, become all the cheaper for what they could be used for.

We did get a couple good laughs yesterday though, when "teasing" opponents forward by smacking some units that would have otherwise been quite safe atop their hills on the other end of the map... It was a surprise to several of us that we could clear the whole field. The arcs were so high this looked like orbital bombardment. One opponent thought we had hacked the ranges of our artillery units.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major iWarsaw's Avatar

As much as I use first person and I love it, the ability to shoot as far as possible is absurd. On the gatling gun they have managed to limit its range in first person which makes less sense. You would think you could simply open fire and who cares if they were in range, your bullets would go everywhere. They just need to limit how high you can arc up to stop people from sniping across the map. I will say that sniping isn't over powered. It's very hard to hit a general. Sure you can hit his units, but I never hit the general until everyone else is dead. Sometimes I would use it to try and hit the enemies artillery, but my veteran artillery is more accurate. The only best use is to attack two different squads at the same time. It goes the same with gatling guns. Don't get rid of the ability completely, just limit the first person.

Quote Originally Posted by BengalTiger View Post
    I think i agree with you Beauchamp. This feature nulls out the benefits of range upgrades on artillery, and exponentially increases the value of certain maps, tactics or units. Wodden canons, as an example, become all the cheaper for what they could be used for.

We did get a couple good laughs yesterday though, when "teasing" opponents forward by smacking some units that would have otherwise been quite safe atop their hills on the other end of the map... It was a surprise to several of us that we could clear the whole field. The arcs were so high this looked like orbital bombardment. One opponent thought we had hacked the ranges of our artillery units.
    haha I understand him quite well, must have looked like orbitaltal bombardment (officially known as naval bombardment) though with fewer shells.

I agree on the suggestion that it's removed from mp
    Make a Medieval 3!
    More units.
    More interested in European history.
    Different cultures.
    More factions.
    Not that many gun powder troops, it's not a new Empire I want.

My opinion is that if someone is willing to take their eyes off the battlefield and into their first person mode, I would be glad to face that opponent. I will be flanking with cavalry and more than likely making that person pay for it in some way or another. Anyone that camps themselves up onto a hill gets whats coming to them in my humble opinion.

I'm a firm believer in letting people play in whatever way they are wanting to, even if that logic will help them lose to a tactically aggressive opponent.
    http://www.youtube.com/coreBOSS ...just for fun! -Boss

I understand your point Hymer7, yet I think it may be a mistake to confuse all campers, or capable first person gunners, with noobs.

Campers that set their whole army atop wooded hills, given the extra range of their canons in first person, will get that many more shots off at you, while you're rushing (exhausting) your troops to cross the map and meet with their hidden fresh vetted black bear spam, and Tosas in defensive mode (all huddled around the canon, with the extra advantages of 1) having first shot, 2) the "Tosa Shuffle", and 3) the propensity for units not to automatically fire when in range - particularly when facing an up hill ennemy). Your 4 Yari Kis will not make a dent. Your ninjas may well get cornered by the guy's cav at the onset (that's if of course, you can set them up close enough to start with).

Oh, that's right, you can get the magic mushroom houses and win by domination.... Well, I hate to point this out: 10 minutes is a long time in this game, in addition to the minutes it'll take you to get to them and capture them in the first place. A camper can ease the pains of a few of your troops in that time frame, and let the rest exhaust themselves. Also, once one has lobbed off the majority of their arty's ammo, that unit is useless (unless of course one limbers them and their opponent foolishly tries to attack the arty... there is always that occasional little bug too). Then the camper simply has to contest (not campture - just contest) the nearest dojo, and - voila - the clock is reset.

A good camper does not camp indefinitely - just long enough to damage you enough that finishing you off takes very little effort. Now, I am certainly not the best player but i know that camping is an issue for most people, and even know of several good players (ones with several thousands of battles under their belt and accumulated win rates north of 80%), that are modest enough to ackowledge it.

No limit to canon range, makes camping that much easier and tempting.
    Last edited by BengalTiger; 04-12-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Senior Member Lieutenant AnjinSan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hymer7 View Post
    My opinion is that if someone is willing to take their eyes off the battlefield and into their first person mode, I would be glad to face that opponent.
    But as long as the other cannons in the battery are operational they will fire at will at any units in range so its still not a complete tradeoff. Maybe if they adjusted it so fire at will came off in first person, then they other guns wouldn't be operational (during 1st person mode) it would ease them up a bit. Regardless I don't know of anyone who'd be stupid enough to stay in FPS mode w/o watching the map or backing out once in a while to check.

Senior Member General

It ought to be removed from multiplayer

+ Reply to Thread