Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shogun 2 Matchlock question

Member Lance Corporal Kusarigama12's Avatar

Question Shogun 2 Matchlock question

I have noticed that when I bring any sort of matchlock compliment that even when they have a decent hill advantage (at least one man above) they do not shoot unless I let the enemy go behind my line. Some people have suggested that I use Naginata Attendants because they are forced loose formation and matchlocks would shoot through them. This is not the case as well they sit there. Some other people just tell me to use heavy gunners and force them to charge and only get one if two volleys off and have them sit for the rest of the fight. It just seems like I am forced to do a Katana Core or a Naginata Samurai Core (not monks, good game CA for ruining my monks) with just bows and no matchlocks. I am getting tired of the cookie cutter sword/spear spams and the very annoying bow monk standoff. First the monks got ruined and now matchlocks it seems.

My question is; Is there any way to use matchlocks anymore without fighting to get fully around them to get full volleys off? Is it worth it to get a side volley off because only 1/8 of my matchlock line will get a volley off (especially if I use Ashigaru or Attendants to guard them)?

Thank you for any input!

One more thing is Fire by Rank broken as well? Is it worth upgrading?

Senior Member Field-Marshall andferpa's Avatar

fire by rank is not effective at all, also, you must be encountering a bug, since line of sight should be the only factor determining whether the matchlocks fire. Just try having them in areas where they can fire effectively from, but if you have the cavalry advantage, just flank them, and the morale penalties from being shot at from the flank or rear will help you out a lot.
    Andokides
    All war is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu
    A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    Alexander the Great
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
    William Shakespeare.

Senior Member Major KillerMonkeyBob's Avatar

How's about actually using them as they are intended? use them to screen your army from frontal melee charges, and then move them to the flanks to lay down fire on the enemy. Matchlocks are still very effective, how they can be used has just changed for the better.

Banned General

the fire by ranks broken so dont bother.

Thanks for the replies! I might need to rephrase some of my post.

I do know that I am supposed to use Matchlocks in the front to deter frontal charges and break moral but after making them charge into my matchlocks two things happen; Matchlock moral penalty goes away before they hit my line and if I move my matchlocks to the flank they either take too long to get to the flank and the possibility of them not firing at all no matter what angle/height I get them at. Once 1/8 to 1/10th of a unit gets in front of my matchlocks they just refuse to fire. I will just take this as matchlocks not being worth it and sticking to Bow Monk/Samurai for my ranged component.

+ Reply to Thread