Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of playing "Black Bears: Total War"

Senior Member Corporal

If you want to upgrade range, I'd actually spend my money on Azure dragons. A range increased AD would cost 90 koku less than a black bear, and in my opinion with all the upgrades, the difference in reload and accuracy isn't going to make too much of a difference especially if you put in one or two of the foreign marine units.
    So a fully upgraded AD with range increase is going to potentially cost 1340 koku (or even as less as 1280 depending on the upgrades you get). For as little as around 8000~8500 koku, you can get 5 ADs with 150 range plus one foreign marine. That's a saving of 450 or more koku from what you would have spent from upgrading BBs.
    In my view, the whole point of getting range upgrade is not only to shoot at your enemy first, but also to draw them closer to your shorter ranged units. So I personally wouldn't invest too much into giving all my line infantry increased range. Rather, I would put one unit with increased range at each point of my formation, so the enemy (who hopefully won't have more increased range units than me) will have to walk into the range of my less upgraded units. But that's just my view on battlefield tactics, and you guys might have a different view altogether

Moderator Master and Commander Hidden Gunman's Avatar

The range upgrade is fine, until you are faced with someone who uses the ground or manuevre to defeat it.
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...

Senior Member Corporal

i yet have to see a battle where it will pay off to take a hyper-vetted unit

Senior Member Major the bourgeoisie's Avatar

better to not have a vetting system unless it was like RTW or NTW
    what is the point of bring imp inf and sho inf if their ending cost far more, and a person bring lvl 9 vets of imp/ sho inf can be out numbered by a person using bear units lvl 9 by 2 more?
    what is the point of bringing anything else?
    what is the point of vetting units at all?
    what is the point of actually playing any other unit other then bears since the game is saying to me, you don't bring bears, you will get out numbered and get screwed over, that is awesome! what a game!
    can't wait to vet bears! may as well delete all my vets and make my veteran slots all bears and cav + arty since thats what the game, if i wanted a loan sword subsitute i would spam them, but if i want a balanced game i would get on CA's **** about this not sit and defend a unit that costs far to cheap and is "same" as 960 unit, and may aswell be the same as a guard unit while their at it.
    FOTS game of balance to most, FOTS the game of Bears and Arty to me
    Fear God, Honor King

Senior Member Colonel IncubusDragon's Avatar
    Behind Enemy Lines... ...a Scotsman in London

Disorder arises from order, Cowardice arises from courage, Weakness arises from strength - Sun Tzu
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    Click me for Shogun 2 Custom Maps

The point is diversity.

Black Bears are still too cost effective. So they outmatch everything else on 14.000 koku battles.

If the ceiling is raised to 20.000 as Standart for 10 Star vs 10 Star matches things would look pretty diffrent.

There is much to do on the balance section.

Its not only the Black Bears, its the missle infantry in General, that will make every Army composition look quite equal on Land battles. This Clone armys are so succesfull cause the Developer CA designet them to be most powerful without a counter.

The rock paper scissors principle is broken now.
    You want successfully arty camp in deploy zone? Go ahead and get your win.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoritomo View Post
    The point is diversity.

Black Bears are still too cost effective. So they outmatch everything else on 14.000 koku battles.

If the ceiling is raised to 20.000 as Standart for 10 Star vs 10 Star matches things would look pretty diffrent.

There is much to do on the balance section.

Its not only the Black Bears, its the missle infantry in General, that will make every Army composition look quite equal on Land battles. This Clone armys are so succesfull cause the Developer CA designet them to be most powerful without a counter.

The rock paper scissors principle is broken now.
    CA the king of Balance
    Fear God, Honor King

Well remember back last autunum as the matchlocks havent got magic bullets. The only shoot if line of sight shows no friendly units was turned off.
    That will turn the gameplay completely.

The no brain use of missle inf could be history.
    You want successfully arty camp in deploy zone? Go ahead and get your win.

yes friendly fire would change battles around a lot more, and no laser targeting, i have seen bullets slip right through enemy engaged in the lines and go hit my men
    guns require no skill of thought or strategy
    Fear God, Honor King

Senior Member General

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Fall of the Samurai is the worst balanced game I've ever played. In every game there are nearly only black bears, cause it's easy to win with them. In my opinion they are far too strong for their skills. I quit.

btw: Please do not come with commens like " Ohh yeaaahh they are fine.... you should use them , too.", because maybe there are more guys like me, who want to bring a mixed army.
    I dissagree FOTS is one of the best balanced TW games on release, and when you say nearly only black bears do you mean 19 units? Look at the responses to the other Black bear thread people seem to think they're balanced over all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast